News Forum - Tourism officials in Vietnam push for a full reopening to foreign travellers on March 15

Thaiger

Vietnam plans to reopen borders for foreign travellers on March 15, although the date is not yet official. According to the local media outlet VN Express, a draft proposal is in the works to fully allow inbound and outbound tourism starting in mid-March. The Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism is now getting input from relevant agencies before submitting the proposal to the Vietnamese government. But so far, the proposal says foreign tourists entering Vietnam by land, sea, or air will be required to present documentation certifying that they are either vaccinated against Covid-19 or that they recently recovered from […]

The story Tourism officials in Vietnam push for a full reopening to foreign travellers on March 15 as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

A sharp contrast to the entry regime adminstered in Thailand. Can't wait to hear about.the latest numbers regarding inbound travellers. My prediction is that these figures will be sobering, and remain that way now that the Philippines and Vietnam (and Malaysia and Indonesia soon to follow) offer alternatives in SE Asia.

The question is: how will TH react?

• Like 3

Well it certainly looks doubtful that a new normal without the possibility of being forced into govt quarantine can be had there in the near future!

Perhaps next year

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, riclag said:

Well it certainly looks doubtful that a new normal without the possibility of being forced into govt quarantine can be had there in the near future!

Perhaps next year

I am not that pessimistic regarding the time line and believe that ultimately a pragmatic approach is inevitable for Thailand. The dynamics are that other SE Asian states have opened up already or plan to open up until April at the very latest. If Thailand refrains from taking up this 'competition' the number of incoming tourists will remain low whereas those of the other countries will surge. My prediction is that at the very latest in May (this year) Thailand will open up and presumably dump or at least defuse the 'Thai Pass'.

5 minutes ago, Fundok said:

My prediction is that at the very latest in May (this year) Thailand will open up and presumably dump or at least defuse the 'Thai Pass'.

I'd like to think the same, and surely the hospitality, airline and tourism sectors will lobby for a relaxation of the ludicrous 5th day Q&test well before May.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, palooka said:

Think the main problem is how to back down and save face at the same time.

Fair observation. I believe, pragmatism will ultimately prevail, even if that means to lose face a bit. Should this happen, they will praise their wisdom and foresight  in the brightest colors so no one will ask "why now and not earlier?"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fundok said:

The question is: how will TH react?

News Forum - 4 Thai tourists hospitalised after wooden pier breaks in Koh Larn off Pattaya coast

Maybe weaken the piers a start ? ….. and strengthen the Medical Tourism 😂😂😂

1 hour ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

News Forum - 4 Thai tourists hospitalised after wooden pier breaks in Koh Larn off Pattaya coast

Maybe weaken the piers a start ? ….. and strengthen the Medical Tourism 😂😂😂

Ok for a start I'd say... 😎

By bye Thailand, that never really opened. By bye cops that hate me for staying out after 11…cant wait to go back to a country where tourist is not an enemy.