News Forum - 4 Thai tourists hospitalised after wooden pier breaks in Koh Larn off Pattaya coast

Thaiger

Four Thai tourists were injured when the railing of a pier broke and they fell onto the rocks around two metres below. The tourists were taking a photo and leaning against the railing of the pier on Koh Larn, an island off the Pattaya coast, when it broke. Three of them are being treated for serious injuries. Reports say those in serious conditions were confused after the fall. One of them had a stroke, Thai media reports. Another was suffered a serious head injury. The authorities visited all of the patients to offer compensation of 5,000 baht for each, but one […]

The story 4 Thai tourists hospitalised after wooden pier breaks in Koh Larn off Pattaya coast as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

32 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The tourists were taking a photo and leaning against the railing of the pier on Koh Larn, an island off the Pattaya coast, when it broke.

Due diligence, always test the strength of a railing before leaning against it.   Just looking at the photos of this railing would make me suspect of its strength and construction.  With the low tide it looks like they were lucky to not split their skulls open on the rocks below

"Stupid is as stupid does", Forrest Gump  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Stonker said:

Why?

Because the fact they were Thai tourists as opposed to non-Thai tourists is irrelevant. You could argue that there was no need to say “tourists”. I doubt there was any verification that they were all tourists. This fascination over Thai and Non-Thai is irrelevant in most cases and simply adds to this “Them and us” culture. 

“4 people hospitalised after wooden pier breaks in Koh Larn off Pattaya coast”

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Soidog said:

Because the fact they were Thai tourists as opposed to non-Thai tourists is irrelevant. You could argue that there was no need to say “tourists”. I doubt there was any verification that they were all tourists. This fascination over Thai and Non-Thai is irrelevant in most cases and simply adds to this “Them and us” culture. 

However, they were taking pictures indicates they weren't  local, so they were tourists, but its unimportant if they were foreign or Thai. 

7 hours ago, Soidog said:

Media reports what people are interested in and want to know, even if it's not always correct, otherwise people don't read it.

Readers want to know if they were tourists or local residents; similarly readers want to know if they were Thai or foreign, just as they want to know if Jimi 'Slice' was Thai, Canadian or Indian, or if some "person" in prison for drugs on Koh Samui was 21 years old or 91, Thai or S African, male or female, etc, or if the two "people" convicted for rape and murder on Kho Tao were Thai or Burmese.

That's what news is about.

Saying it shouldn't happen as it "simply adds to this "Them and us" culture" is just denying reality and denying people the information they want to know and are entitled to. 

What's next - not saying the pier was "wooden" as that makes people afraid of using wood?  Not saying it was "off Pattaya coast" as that puts people off going to Pattaya?

Your own "fascination" about "them and us" in Thailand, as if not reporting who does what or what happens to who will somehow make us all one does more to keep any divisions going than the article ever could.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Media reports what people are interested in and want to know, even if it's not always correct, otherwise people don't read it.

Readers want to know if they were tourists or local residents; similarly readers want to know if they were Thai or foreign, just as they want to know if Jimi 'Slice' was Thai, Canadian or Indian, or if some "person" in prison for drugs on Koh Samui was 21 years old or 91, Thai or S African, male or female, etc, or if the two "people" convicted for rape and murder on Kho Tao were Thai or Burmese.

That's what news is about.

Saying it shouldn't happen as it "simply adds to this "Them and us" culture" is just denying reality and denying people the information they want to know and are entitled to. 

What's next - not saying the pier was "wooden" as that makes people afraid of using wood?  Not saying it was "off Pattaya coast" as that puts people off going to Pattaya?

Your own "fascination" about "them and us" in Thailand, as if not reporting who does what or what happens to who will somehow make us all one does more to keep any divisions going than the article ever could.

Clearly you don’t see the damage such divisive remarks make and continue to add to the narrow minded attitude that holds the country back. These may seem like small and irrelevant issues, but they all add up and can bring about positive change. Inanimate objects such as wood or Pattaya are irrelevant to the point relating to equality and the nationalistic issues around segmenting Thais and non-Thais. I don’t believe people wish to know if they were locals or not. Neither do they care if they were tourists or workers or residents on the island. The real story is that people (humans) were injured and that it was possibly due to poor construction or maintenance of the pier. That’s the issue at hand and I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you are intelligent enough to understand that. You simply wish to find a way to disagree with me and almost anyone else in this forum. Keep trying …

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Clearly you don’t see the damage such divisive remarks make and continue to add to the narrow minded attitude that holds the country back. These may seem like small and irrelevant issues, but they all add up and can bring about positive change. Inanimate objects such as wood or Pattaya are irrelevant to the point relating to equality and the nationalistic issues around segmenting Thais and non-Thais. I don’t believe people wish to know if they were locals or not. Neither do they care if they were tourists or workers or residents on the island. The real story is that people (humans) were injured and that it was possibly due to poor construction or maintenance of the pier. That’s the issue at hand and I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you are intelligent enough to understand that. You simply wish to find a way to disagree with me and almost anyone else in this forum. Keep trying …

A very verbose remark to say that the railing may have been faulty for so many to push against.  OK faulty railing.

• Haha 1

I am saddened to hear people were hurt. I am equally sure their families are concerned as to their wellbeing.

However, quite frankly, It doesn't matter to me who was actually hurt, where they come from or even their social status. Unless I read this thread I probably wouldn't even have known it had happened. 

News is presented as an introduction to knowledge if you seek such knowledge. An article is not designed to be an encyclopedia of everything that happened. 

When I read this report my mind said people were injured and a construction had failed. If it was somewhere I knew people living there, then I may have searched myself for more details. But I don't, so my only thought was that I hope they are ok and the pier is fixed. I don't see the need to label people or get all the details.

I have even already forgotten the actual headline. 😁

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

Clearly you don’t see the damage such divisive remarks make and continue to add to the narrow minded attitude that holds the country back. These may seem like small and irrelevant issues, but they all add up and can bring about positive change. Inanimate objects such as wood or Pattaya are irrelevant to the point relating to equality and the nationalistic issues around segmenting Thais and non-Thais. I don’t believe people wish to know if they were locals or not. Neither do they care if they were tourists or workers or residents on the island. The real story is that people (humans) were injured and that it was possibly due to poor construction or maintenance of the pier. That’s the issue at hand and I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you are intelligent enough to understand that.

I don't "see the damage" because I don't see the report as a "divisive remark" and to me the only "narrow minded attitude" is yours, repeatedly reading things into reports and life in Thailand that aren't there.

You see this "division" between Thais and foreigners at every opportunity, whether it's queueing, or paying an admission fee, or getting service in the bank, or in a hotel, or the police response, or visas, or red tape - you name it, you feel slighted about it everywhere you go and in everything you do and everything you see and even everything you read including a perfectly innocent news report.

You see an "issue" - I don't.  What you're saying "holds the country back" sdoesn't exist, apart from in your imagination and your paranoia.

(Paranoia: a mental condition characterized by delusions of persecution, unwarranted jealousy, or exaggerated self-importance.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

You simply wish to find a way to disagree with me and almost anyone else in this forum.

Actually I agree with a lot of people on this forum, sometimes even including you, and a lot also agree with me.

Let's try not to make things personal, as that hardly contributes to the forum or a rational discussion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

Let's try not to make things personal, as that hardly contributes to the forum or a rational discussion.

You see an "issue" - I don't.  What you're saying "holds the country back" sdoesn't exist, apart from in your imagination and your paranoia.

Freakin’ unbelievable 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Soidog said:
2 hours ago, Stonker said:

You see an "issue" - I don't.  What you're saying "holds the country back" sdoesn't exist, apart from in your imagination and your paranoia.

Freakin’ unbelievable 

Hear, hear!

As for @Stonker's earlier remark, 'Actually I agree with a lot of people on this forum, sometimes even including you, and a lot also agree with me.' . . . perhaps he should PM this 'lot' to see if they really do agree with him . . . just a thought that his interesting remark provoked!

• Like 3

On 2/15/2022 at 6:26 PM, Soidog said:

The headline simply needs to be:

4 tourists hospitalised after wooden pier breaks in Koh Larn off Pattaya coast

Or just “ Four sightseers injured after pier railing breaks “ . Victim nationality, travel status or pier material/ location  all irrelevant to headline being better placed within article detail.
Daily Mail would have mentioned the house values of victims, their ages & occupations🤭

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

MMM wooden Stanctions probably bolted to the Concrete plinth, sea water, wood swells, hand rail pushed or leaned against come away easy. Should have been all steel welded.

2 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Or just “ Four sightseers injured after pier railing breaks “ . Victim nationality, travel status or pier material/ location  all irrelevant to headline being better placed within article detail.
Daily Mail would have mentioned the house values of victims, their ages & occupations🤭

A perfect choice of headline - details could then have been included in the article, as you say, keeping even the paranoid and self-obsessed happy until they found something else to complain about.