News Forum - Thailand is revising surrogacy laws to allow foreigners to hire Thais to bear children

Thaiger

Thailand is revising surrogacy laws to allow foreigners to hire Thai surrogate mothers without requiring one partner to be Thai. Under the proposed changes, foreigners will also be allowed to bring the eggs and sperm out of Thailand for surrogacy overseas. Revisions to the law are aimed at promoting Thailand as a medical hub, gaining more income for the country. The authorities share that the revision will take around two months to consider and the revisions will need to be adjusted before submitting to the Cabinet. Under the present rules and conditions, surrogacy in Thailand is allowed only for Thai […]

The story Thailand is revising surrogacy laws to allow foreigners to hire Thais to bear children as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

This seems weird... but I don't know enough about it. Surrogate contracts (in other countries) are generally allowed but contracts for compensation are prohibited. I'm not sure what Thailand thinks is going to happen here. But if I were a couple looking for a surrogate, I'd want her to deliver the baby on my home soil (and not in a foreign country - unless Thailand plans to grant citizenship to the babies born to foreigners under a surrogate contract).

Chinas' one child policy resulted in fewer females, so plenty of need there.

Some women who cannot bear children for whatever reason have some very serious psychological  problems so another need there.

Then there is the HISO fems who don't want to ruin that body they just spent so much money on.

Many countries ban it also.

Good market for Thailand just need to keep the crims out and seriously monitor it. 

• Thanks 1

Prostitution is illegal but this is ok?

Surrogacy is essentially a woman renting out their body to someone else for money. How is that different?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Thai surrogate mothers without requiring one partner to be Thai. Under the proposed changes, foreigners will also be allowed to bring the eggs and sperm out of Thailand for surrogacy overseas

7.9 Billion people is not sustainable, Population doubled in less than 40 years, increasing population will only speed up climate change which may result in Billions starving and dying from droughts and food shortages

The idea that anyone with money can get a child is stupid IMO

25 minutes ago, palooka said:

1.4 Billion people. 1.2 Billion 20 years ago.  In my view that does not show "plenty of need"  as the country is still growing.  

104 men to 100 women in China it says on Wiki, also doesnt signify need IMO

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Surrogacy is essentially a woman renting out their body to someone else for money. How is that different?

Because surrogacy does not involve sexual activities unless the insemination is done the natural way which I think the policy makers will write up some laws to prevent that and all surrogacy will most probably go the artificial insemination way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ExpatPattaya said:

104 men to 100 women in China

Yes those are the Chinese governments official figures but they also acknowledge that there is a problem with imbalance between the sexes so like most figures published by the CCP they are probably based in propaganda rather than reality. The situation would be made worse by the cultural behaviour where a single woman in China that is older than 28 is generally regarded as an old maid and will find it very difficult or impossible to find a husband. They even have a name for them the are called "Sheng nu" or "forgotten women". The ridiculous thing is often these Sheng nu are women that have favoured there career over relationships and are often high achieving in business and very wealthy and currently the CCP will put pressure on them to marry men that would be regarded as real losers just so that they reduce the number of unmarried men and reproduce to relieve the effects of China's aging population. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, palooka said:

Some women who cannot bear children for whatever reason have some very serious psychological  problems so another need there.

Then there is the HISO fems who don't want to ruin that body they just spent so much money on.

Many countries ban it also.

Good market for Thailand just need to keep the crims out and seriously monitor it. 

No offense, but the last thing China or the world needs are more Chinese. Too many already. And this is looking at the sheer numbers they have. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

No offense, but the last thing China or the world needs are more Chinese. Too many already. And this is looking at the sheer numbers they have. 

That is clearly a racist view that has no basis in reality. For a start if China continues the population reducing policies of the past the country will collapse financially. Chinese culture relies on the elderly being cared for at home by the younger members of the family. Many years of the one child policy has created a top heavy aging population in China the people cannot afford to support their parents and grandparents this situation has been recognised by the Government and resulted in the removal of all limits on the number of children now. However the younger population are still not having children because they believe they cannot afford to support their parents and grandparents as well as having children. The result is a situation where population growth in China will soon become negative alongside serious economic failures and potential collapse. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cabra said:

This seems weird... but I don't know enough about it. Surrogate contracts (in other countries) are generally allowed but contracts for compensation are prohibited. I'm not sure what Thailand thinks is going to happen here. But if I were a couple looking for a surrogate, I'd want her to deliver the baby on my home soil (and not in a foreign country - unless Thailand plans to grant citizenship to the babies born to foreigners under a surrogate contract).

It's all about how Thailand can extract more money out of foreigners. Period!!

1 minute ago, Chriscpg said:

It's all about how Thailand can extract more money out of foreigners. Period!!

Paid surrogacy in the United States is all about extracting money out of foreigners too is it? 

1 minute ago, Tim_Melb said:

That is clearly a racist view that has no basis in reality. For a start if China continues the population reducing policies of the past the country will collapse financially. Chinese culture relies on the elderly being cared for at home by the younger members of the family. Many years of the one child policy has created a top heavy aging population in China the people cannot afford to support their parents and grandparents this situation has been recognised by the Government and resulted in the removal of all limits on the number of children now. However the younger population are still not having children because they believe they cannot afford to support their parents and grandparents as well as having children. The result is a situation where population growth in China will soon become negative alongside serious economic failures and potential collapse. 

Definitely don't need more people on the planet irrespective of race,colour or creed. We are already doomed for extinction due to our incomprehensible behaviour and exhaustion of the planet's natural resources in ALL aspects.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tim_Melb said:

Sorry but it is an opinion and a very relevant one based on the over population of way too many people there. Everything else is irrelevant. 

5 minutes ago, Chriscpg said:

Definitely don't need more people on the planet irrespective of race,colour or creed. We are already doomed for extinction due to our incomprehensible behaviour and exhaustion of the planet's natural resources in ALL aspects.

Yes, it is at a dilemma point for sure. Needs to be a real limit on how many kids one can have, but that is also a no no to bring up for some people. 

9 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Everything else is irrelevant

So you are happy to face the results on the world from a complete collapse of the Chinese economy and the economic collapse of other economies around the world it would cause? I guess it would make you happy to know millions of children and adults would literally die from malnutrition and starvation around the globe because it would be reducing the population. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Tim_Melb said:

So you are happy to face the results on the world from a complete collapse of the Chinese economy and the economic collapse of other economies around the world it would cause? I guess it would make you happy to know millions of children and adults would literally die from malnutrition and starvation around the globe because it would be reducing the population. 

Let’s keep on subject rather than spill our opinions and feelings going off topic. I think it is a bad idea for Thailand to open up the idea to any country no matter what. Too many countries over populated. Go adopt a stray dog or child that needs a good home or forever hold would be the best answer. 

Come on, guys, how many of you, with wife and kids, would have liked it, if the body of your wife would still be, like it was before the kid/s?

Because that will become quickly the main target group, which may wanna use this service. Not every woman is young and has a personal trainer and the discipline, to not gain to much in the pregnancy, but also working afterwards hard to get all of it down again. 

😇

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tim_Melb said:

Yes, I read something similar a few months ago, China for the first time was thinking of solving the shortage of young people though immigration.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Ask your mum or dad to tell you all about the birds and the bees. 😃

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Well, I suppose with prostitution they're selling themselves for a limited period, but with surrogacy they're selling their babies for ever.

I don't really see how the former can be any less acceptable morally than the latter.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Guest1 said:

Come on, guys, how many of you, with wife and kids, would have liked it, if the body of your wife would still be, like it was before the kid/s?

Because that will become quickly the main target group, which may wanna use this service. Not every woman is young and has a personal trainer and the discipline, to not gain to much in the pregnancy, but also working afterwards hard to get all of it down again. 

😇

That is old white guy thinking......

I'd say the vast majority of women keep relatively to very fit during pregnancy, these days

The days of wearing a bed sheet and eating all you want are long pass

Many are working out well close to due date and eat healthy.....

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

That is old white guy thinking......

I'd say the vast majority of women keep relatively to very fit during pregnancy, these days

The days of wearing a bed sheet and eating all you want are long pass

Many are working out well close to due date and eat healthy.....

But still, the damage from pregnancy and  the birth, no one knows, how the body can deal with that. Why you think, that the C section becomes more popular, every year?

Aside that hospitals and doctors can plan their weekends and staff, and the kid arrives at a wish date, that is to prevent damage to some specific bodyparts 

fat cat GIF

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Stonker said:

but with surrogacy they're selling their babies for ever.

But are they their babies if they are impregnated with a donor egg fertilized by sperm already?

Then they are just the incubator.

Highly contentious subject that sees the criminal element sitting on the side lines waiting for opportunity.

• Like 1