News Forum - Thailand’s tiger and elephant attractions call for support after two years of losses

Thaiger

After a two-year hit on tourism, elephant and tiger attractions in Thailand have run low on money and are asking the government for financial assistance. Zoo operators met with the Tourism Commission yesterday at Tiger Kingdom in Chiang Mai, citing their struggles during the Covid-19 pandemic. The daily income for Tiger Kingdom in Chiang Mai, as well as the location in Phuket, dropped from 1 million baht to zero due to closures and a lack of tourists, according to the managing director of Khum Sue Trakarn, a company that operates the two tiger parks. Reports say several other tiger attractions […]

The story Thailand’s tiger and elephant attractions call for support after two years of losses as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

39 minutes ago, palooka said:

Need to have a big promotion, invite a pollie or two for feeding time, just neglect to tell them they are doing the hand feeding inside the cage.

I've never been to these attractions. I've been to the elephant show in Lampang a couple of time and know one  of the vets at FAE next to it. I like the elephant hospital best. Also have gone to the elephant shows in Mae Rim which are OK and provident work for elephants and handlers. However, no tiger shows for me. I feel that are elegant animals that need to be kept in the wild.

If there is no profit these animals will be safer in the wild.

• Like 2

I do feel for the animals, it's the owners that have been double charging the foreigners for the more than 17 years that I have been here, that don't get my sympathy at all.

The owners can go down the drain double quick time. I do hope the banks charge them four times the going rate for any loans they may receive.

The Entry Fee for Foreigner sign tells me that my Baht will be spent elsewhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LoongFred said:

I've never been to these attractions. I've been to the elephant show in Lampang a couple of time and know one  of the vets at FAE next to it. I like the elephant hospital best. Also have gone to the elephant shows in Mae Rim which are OK and provident work for elephants and handlers. However, no tiger shows for me. I feel that are elegant animals that need to be kept in the wild.

If there is no profit these animals will be safer in the wild.

Many years ago we went to a tiger park and at the end of the show you were allowed to get next to the tigers and touch them, they all seemed to be doped up to me so passed on that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LoongFred said:

the elephant shows in Mae Rim which are OK and provident work for elephants and handlers. However, no tiger shows for me. I feel that are elegant animals that need to be kept in the wild.

Don't you think elephants deserve to be kept in the wild?

• Like 1

I went to one of the tiger zoos and yes got charged ten times the rate of the Thai’s which infuriated me before I went in, but once inside I must admit I was horrified as to how some of the animals were kept. There was a Burmese python squashed in a metal cage it couldn’t even move, a brahminy kite in a cage barely 2 foot square and a gibbon in a cage no bigger than my wardrobe. I felt ashamed that I had gone there and paid money to the people who owned the awful place, never again. 
   However I went to Khao yai over the weekend very beautiful place where the elephants roam free, but got charged 400 baht for entry my partner was charged 40 baht?!