News Forum - Recent crimes in Phuket are damaging its reputation

Thaiger

42 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

You’re not really paying for the “beer” though in Bangla are you ?😉

Thats what you do at the grocery store😉

Haha. The beer tastes better down bangla, didn't you know that. 😆

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ThaiFoodGuy said:

I've stayed in Rawai many times, never had any issues. You might need to speak rudimentary Thai from time to time, more often than in Patong or Kata or Karon, but it's much quieter, there is lots to do, and there is very little crime in general. Strongly recommend Rawai for anyone.

I love Rawai. Stayed in the Rawai palm resort and it was perfect. Nai Harn beach is incredible too. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ThaiFoodGuy said:

I've stayed in Rawai many times, never had any issues. You might need to speak rudimentary Thai from time to time, more often than in Patong or Kata or Karon, but it's much quieter, there is lots to do, and there is very little crime in general. Strongly recommend Rawai for anyone.

Good but many Russians…..I live on Kata Hill ( bordering Rawai) and enjoy visiting Rawai & Phuket Old Town, another great place to stay if you are mobile to get out and about to Rawai & Beaches.

4 minutes ago, Rangers said:

I love Rawai. Stayed in the Rawai palm resort and it was perfect. Nai Harn beach is incredible too. 

STAY Rural Retreat Rawai my favorite. Onsen, Outdoor Pools , Gourmet  Food.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marc26 said:

We usually stay in Kamala nowadays

But my wife likes to go to Patong for at least one night out

Some hotels we stay at have a free shuttle to Patong, then we take a taxi back

I am not paying 600baht to sit an uncomfortable tuk tuk back to Kamala

But we easily find a nice car that has a taxi sign on it, and it is usually 500-600baht, which is more than fine by me.......

Oh and the drivers are almost always extremely nice!

When I am there go to Patong twice a week to see the lads at the Otop area which is far less noisy than Soi Bangla so we can all talk and have a laugh and a few beers.

I took a taxi from Patong over the mountain to Kathu last time and it was 400 baht for the ten km drive, nice bloke too, I have never had a bad one.

19 hours ago, AussieBob said:

I never understood how Thailand marketing has been able to portray itself as having great beaches. What a load of bull excrement. If you want great beaches then Australia is the place to come - including idillic islands with real fantastic corals a short goat trip away - some even within swimming distances. Same Maldives and Fiji - Thailand does not compare except it is/was cheaper.  Thailand has many great things - but beaches - and islands - nuh. 

The downsize is it is full of Australians thinking their desert at the arse end of the world is the best country in the world, it gets boring hearing about it.

It is the last place to go for many people, I meet many like that in Phuket and I ask if it is so good why are you living here.😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, hondo said:

phuket went for decades being not too concerned about repeat business  because a plane load of new marks was arriving every 15 minutes.  if you complained about getting ripped off,  you got ignored or laughed at. eventually the planes will start arriving again and it will be business as usual.

I know it is terrible, I am almost broke after being in Phuket for six months.

A bowl of street noodles cost 50 baht, they might be 40 baht in Pattaya ,what a rip off.

When I fill up my car with petrol and when it comes to paying the 1000 baht shown on the meter I have to pay 1000 baht to the guy working there, what a rip off.

When I go to 7/11 or Makro for a weekly food shop, I have to pay the marked prices, I should get it much cheaper, what a rip off.

In a restaurant I have to pay the displayed price, what a rip off.

I sometimes send in my Thai partner and the cheek of it is she is given the same menu with the same prices as it was when I went in by myself a week earlier, I should get it cheaper, what a rip off.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, JamesR said:

A bowl of street noodles cost 50 baht, they might be 40 baht in Pattaya ,what a rip off.

When I fill up my car with petrol and when it comes to paying the 1000 baht shown on the meter I have to pay 1000 baht to the guy working there, what a rip off.

When I go to 7/11 or Makro for a weekly food shop, I have to pay the marked prices, I should get it much cheaper, what a rip off.

I sometimes send in my Thai partner and the cheek of it is she is given the same menu with the same prices as it was when I went in by myself a week earlier, I should get it cheaper, what a rip off.

I would say the only thing in Phuket/Patong that is a rip-off is the tuk tuks

It is pleasant when you go somewhere else in Thailand and you can hop in a tuk tuk for 60baht

But besides that...........I don't think I have ever felt ripped off

4 hours ago, dj230 said:

You're right I haven't, but partying and 'sex tourism' seems like its all over Thailand, at least it's quite common in the province I am in right now, Bangkok.

Ahh so you have seen parts of Bangkok and you know the whole country.... You have no idea what you are talking about. 

1 hour ago, Tim_Melb said:

Ahh so you have seen parts of Bangkok and you know the whole country.... You have no idea what you are talking about. 

Where in the Bangkok area isn't there p4p?

Massive fish bowl structures in all parts of Bangkok 

I mean massive buildings 

My wife is from Samut Prakan 

Plenty of girly bars there right on the main drag 

4 hours ago, ThaiFoodGuy said:

Ive lived in Rawai/Nai Harn for 18 years it's fine

When we go out for an evening we dont go local we always go to Phuket town some great pubs and restaurants from Thai to Farang food, I like the Pint Factory for a couple of beers ok it's expensive but Im not going every night.

Sometimes we book a hotel and stay for a couple of nights, makes a nice change 

Lots of farangs I know who live around Rawai have never been to Phuket town  

• Like 2

On 2/13/2022 at 4:11 PM, whitesnake said:

Good luck on that one!!! Thailand is in a sorry state at present I'm afraid. Most tourist destinations are either still closed or gone out of business! Chiang Mai (where I work!!!) is still like a ghost city! There's more life at a village cremation service than there is in the city centre at present! I'm sure "other" destinations in Thailand have a similar story to tell.

A holiday is meant to be time to relax and have fun and divert one's attention to more frivolous things to do; alas, you won't get that any of that here, at present.

Suggest: bring "War & Peace" or, "Calculus Theory Explained!" Both these will provide way more entertainment during your long days sat there thinking, "should I twiddle my thumbs a bit more?!" Apologies for p@ss$%g on your bonfire! 

I dont disagree but i think it all depends on what your goals are   last year i visited CM twice but it was for riding both times and its was damm good except of course the closure of places of interest.  Also to Phuket twice but this was primary for diving  but I am currently doing a 7 day transit though Phuket on my way back to bkk and it if it wasnt for my work it would be boring as hell. 

• Like 1

You can all moan and grown about Thailand but Im going nowhere I love it here I live 3km to Nai Harn beach which is glowing at the moment still popular with the tourist.

My house is quite high up so we get a lovely sea breeze as we are surrounded by the ocean for those of you who have never been to this part of the island then put it on your list,

I saw this nice video which made in the last couple of days, 

7 hours ago, Tim_Melb said:

Point was that Phuket isn't the only place for sex tourism/partying. 

Edited by dj230

18 hours ago, Stonker said:

I suppose you get what you pay for, but those living in Pattaya seem rather happier with things than those living in Phuket, and that must suggest something!

Seriously ? Not my perception here on forum. See many diehard Pattaya residents complaining about Phuket after one visit 20 years ago . Most of them no doubt skint to boot……so can’t move anywhere decent….Give me a break …..Phuket is clearly wayyyy higher overall standard than Pattaya. 

12 hours ago, JamesR said:

6 months?  i defer to your superior knowledge of the thai economy and it's culture.

2 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Seriously ? Not my perception here on forum. See many diehard Pattaya residents complaining about Phuket after one visit 20 years ago . Most of them no doubt skint to boot……so can’t move anywhere decent….Give me a break …..Phuket is clearly wayyyy higher overall standard than Pattaya. 

Well ... perceptions "here on forum" are a bit like going to a KKK meeting and thinking that's how BLM supporters feel.

Most of my farang friends here are based in or around Pattaya as I used to live near there (Huay Yai), and while it's not a cross section none of them are "skint to boot so can't move anywhere decent" as even ten years ago their houses there cost over a million (pounds sterling, not Thai baht).  Things everywhere are different to "one visit twenty years ago" 😇 .....

4 hours ago, dj230 said:

Nobody said it was the only place but saying that the whole country is a sex tourism Mecca is complete BS. Sure in most tourist areas or major cities it's there but you can say the same for you every country in the world. The fact is outside of the large tourist areas and red light districts you very rarely see it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim_Melb said:

Nobody said it was the only place but saying that the whole country is a sex tourism Mecca is complete BS. Sure in most tourist areas or major cities it's there but you can say the same for you every country in the world. The fact is outside of the large tourist areas and red light districts you very rarely see it. 

Have you ever been to Sadao?

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Tim_Melb said:

I think there is more in the US and EU than Thailand outside of major tourist areas. Where I am I know of some but it's far from overt stuff. I know of some Thai guys with a girlfriend on the side and probably a little more common than in the west. 

When I was working I had many opportunities in the medical center where I worked, but took it as a compliment and didn't partake. I know a couple of guys who got in serious and trouble and lost their jobs, for getting caught.

Many Thai girls love to tease and might be available,  but doubt if they are "working". In general most of the desirable girls around here are very conservative. 

16 hours ago, Marc26 said:

What I am saying is transportation has different pricing, everywhere

If I fly into NYC on my own dime(usually on biz) I don't take an Uber or Taxi, I take the train into Manhattan

In Phuket, you have options based on price, same anywhere else................

You can take the shuttle, metred taxi or private limo at the desk

Yes I fully understand that there are different classes of transportation. However, those classes and the prices paid are not based on nationality or race. A Thai in NYC will pay the same as you whatever form of transport they take. That isn’t always the same when you travel in Thailand. 

6 hours ago, dj230 said:

There is also Pattaya if it survives. Both very sleazy and rip off haven for tourists.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Yes I fully understand that there are different classes of transportation. However, those classes and the prices paid are not based on nationality or race. A Thai in NYC will pay the same as you whatever form of transport they take. That isn’t always the same when you travel in Thailand. 

The moral is to learn Thai first. Second is to stay away from tourist dives. Third, make some real Thai friends

Edited by KaptainRob
Disparaging comment removed
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Was saying it’s not open,  not that’s it’s not there, but unspoken. Thai discrete culture for hundreds of years.  

Well that’s the case in western cultures too. People don’t talk about going to lap bars and prostitution anymore than Thais do. I’m not sure the point you are making? Prostitution is illegal in the UK and yet it’s there but hidden. Prostitution is illegal in Thailand and yet there are streets where it’s openly on display. Not just in Pattaya and Patong or Bangkok, but in most major towns

• Like 1