News Forum - Recent crimes in Phuket are damaging its reputation

Thaiger

first of all i dont get it why anyone would come to phuket. ok, you have a family so is convenient for you, that i can understand. all places (especially islands) that have airports are horrible. its my first time in phuket and i have been coming for my work (and pleasure) in thailand for 19 years. i would NEVER come to phuket if there wasnt fkn sandbox programme and i needed to come for my work. patong is horrible. ok, now that i rented a motorbike is a bit better. whats gonna kill thailand is greed in the end. paying 50 baht for plain rice in asia? or the longtail boat that i was paying 50 baht 18 years ago in koh phan ngan now up to 400. yeah right, the tourists are gonna keep coming. we dont all come from england, norway or france where everything is expensive. somebody here said thailand is sometimes more expensive than some places in spain and greece. right. i also come from mediteranian country. many of my friend who came to visit this beautiful country complained about prices. dont get me wrong, they love to spend money but of course they gonna notice. i mean 3 euros for a small  beer is more than i am paying home. the price of decent basic meal cant be almost same in europe and thailand. i have been to thailand more than 30 times and see how the greed is becoming more obvious (dont get me wrong there is destinations in europe with the same problem). but i guess lot of us are coming to thailand because we love it but also because its cheaper than where we are coming from

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lukas said:

first of all i dont get it why anyone would come to phuket. ok, you have a family so is convenient for you, that i can understand. all places (especially islands) that have airports are horrible. its my first time in phuket and i have been coming for my work (and pleasure) in thailand for 19 years. i would NEVER come to phuket if there wasnt fkn sandbox programme and i needed to come for my work. patong is horrible. ok, now that i rented a motorbike is a bit better. whats gonna kill thailand is greed in the end. paying 50 baht for plain rice in asia? or the longtail boat that i was paying 50 baht 18 years ago in koh phan ngan now up to 400. yeah right, the tourists are gonna keep coming. we dont all come from england, norway or france where everything is expensive. somebody here said thailand is sometimes more expensive than some places in spain and greece. right. i also come from mediteranian country. many of my friend who came to visit this beautiful country complained about prices. dont get me wrong, they love to spend money but of course they gonna notice. i mean 3 euros for a small  beer is more than i am paying home. the price of decent basic meal cant be almost same in europe and thailand. i have been to thailand more than 30 times and see how the greed is becoming more obvious (dont get me wrong there is destinations in europe with the same problem). but i guess lot of us are coming to thailand because we love it but also because its cheaper than where we are coming from

I've been coming to Bangkok staying for 3 and more months at a time for almost 10 years and have not seen price increases at food courts. Still was 70 baht for Tom Yum with rice in 2020.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Soidog said:

But aren’t we customers? Shouldn’t the customer be made to feel special and treated with respect? It’s like any other business. You can say you value your customer and basically do nothing and take advantage. Or you can walk the talk and make your customer feel valued and special and continue to grow your brand and grown your revenues. 

Why do you(I mean anyone, not you particular) need to feel special?

Well I know the answer to that

Guys go to Thailand and become obsessed with the place because they finally feel special 

So they go there to get their ass kissed and when that doesn't happen

They cry like babies

I've been going to Thailand now 19 years

I'm treated more than well enough 

I don't need to feel extra special

I don't need to remind everyone that can hear that I'm helping Thailand by spending money there

Just go and have your holiday and STFU(again not you)

It's just a constant whining of white guys wanting to feel special

I don't expect any country I visit to make me feel special

I go because I'm interested in it and take from it what I feel is offered

I don't go demanding things of the place 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, whitesnake said:

Good luck on that one!!! Thailand is in a sorry state at present I'm afraid. Most tourist destinations are either still closed or gone out of business! Chiang Mai (where I work!!!) is still like a ghost city! There's more life at a village cremation service than there is in the city centre at present! I'm sure "other" destinations in Thailand have a similar story to tell.

A holiday is meant to be time to relax and have fun and divert one's attention to more frivolous things to do; alas, you won't get that any of that here, at present.

Suggest: bring "War & Peace" or, "Calculus Theory Explained!" Both these will provide way more entertainment during your long days sat there thinking, "should I twiddle my thumbs a bit more?!" Apologies for p@ss$%g on your bonfire! 

Patong is packed

And the expats who live in the other more laid back areas like Kamala and Raiwai have said it's been brilliant 

3 hours ago, Guest1 said:

So, you are a thug from Canada? Or any other country? No? Why should someone send killer for you?

And if you have LEARNED about the things, going on on Phuket, aren't you prepared, then?

You should be grateful that you could learn about all (most of) the scams /dangers beforehand. Most of the people, who got in trouble on Phuket, could have learned about it, too. It is widely reported in the medias, over the past decade/s. But they didn't, some of them even called it "they are so negative about this island", came, got scammed, complained, but still: That was an accident (That they got in contact with this one person, who scammed them) and that's why it still is, how it is.  Realism is not that much liked, over optimism however ....!

Aside: The one or the other thing can happen everywhere, in Thailand, in the world. Just, perhaps, not so good documented. Yet!

No thanks, I have little reason to go, I was thinking of going just as a 'vacation' from Bangkok but all I see are people getting scammed, crime, rapes, murders, taxi drivers 'claiming' territories against grab drivers it sounds like a game of grand theft auto. Why would I put myself at risk at getting involved in that. 

Sure anything can happen anywhere, it's all about making educated decisions about where to travel though, can't just say anything can happen anywhere thus it's safe and smart to travel anywhere. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stonker said:

So what's new?

What "reputation" is being damaged?

It's like damaging a dog turd by stepping in it.

While Phuket may have it's attractions for retirees and long term expats, I've never been able to see why tourists would want to go there - Pattaya has plenty of faults, God knows, but if you want sun, sand and sex which is what most tourists go to either for then why spend more going to Phuket just so you can avoid saying that you went to Pattaya?

Phuket is still one of the more prettier places in Thailand, if you get outside of Patong 

For me, when I 1st planned a trip to Thailand and wanted to be involved in the p4p scene, I just had no desire to go to Pattaya because it felt like just a sec holiday

And even though I would be getting up to the same things in Phuket, it was like combining a beach holiday that you can't get in Pattaya

Pattaya's Beach is nasty as hell 

9 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Why do you(I mean anyone, not you particular) need to feel special?

Well I know the answer to that

Guys go to Thailand and become obsessed with the place because they finally feel special 

So they go there to get their ass kissed and when that doesn't happen

They cry like babies

I've been going to Thailand now 19 years

I'm treated more than well enough 

I don't need to feel extra special

I don't need to remind everyone that can hear that I'm helping Thailand by spending money there

Just go and have your holiday and STFU(again not you)

It's just a constant whining of white guys wanting to feel special

I don't expect any country I visit to make me feel special

I go because I'm interested in it and take from it what I feel is offered

I don't go demanding things of the place 

I think you may be looking far deeper in to my post than I intended @Marc26  I simply stated that as “customers” why wouldn’t you expect to feel special. I’ve run a business and been a manager in many businesses. Our stated aim was always to make our customers feel special. 

My underlying point is that the people who come to Thailand are, in the main, tourists and hence customers of the tourism industry. The Thai tourism industry should be aiming to make people feel special. Should people who are essentially expats be made to feel special? Of course not. But tourists should. If Thailands tourism industry can’t get that in to their mindset then they can forget about high end tourism. These people rightly demand special treatment. They aren’t long term stayers or cheap hostel backpackers. What I’m saying Marc is that Thailand simply can’t have it both ways. Either treat customers in a manner that makes them feel valued and yes, special. Or don’t and continue to  get high volume low end tourists. Their choice and so as the saying goes… Up to you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fundok said:

I do not ask for or expect to be treated "special" (whatever that means).

But in fact I do expect that I am treated decently in the host country. Too much to ask for?

How haven't you been treated decently in Thailand 

And why are you still interested if you haven't been?.

I've been to about 35 countries on holiday since 2004

I went through them and don't recall feeling any sort of anger or vitriol towards any of them 

I have some bad experiences in some, but I overall I liked all the countries

Some I wouldn't rush back to

One place that stuck out that I really didn't like was Hue, Vietnam 

I didn't think it was a pretty place and my friend and I got harassed going out night

So I won't go back there but love Vietnam overall 

People on this forum have this anger towards Thailand yet are still obsessed with the place 

I will never get that

There is 100's of countries to go.....

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I think you may be looking far deeper in to my post than I intended @Marc26  I simply stated that as “customers” why wouldn’t you expect to feel special. I’ve run a business and been a manager in many businesses. Our stated aim was always to make our customers feel special. 

My underlying point is that the people who come to Thailand are, in the main, tourists and hence customers of the tourism industry. The Thai tourism industry should be aiming to make people feel special. Should people who are essentially expats be made to feel special? Of course not. But tourists should. If Thailands tourism industry can’t get that in to their mindset then they can forget about high end tourism. These people rightly demand special treatment. They aren’t long term stayers or cheap hostel backpackers. What I’m saying Marc is that Thailand simply can’t have it both ways. Either treat customers in a manner that makes them feel valued and yes, special. Or don’t and continue to  get high volume low end tourists. Their choice and so as the saying goes… Up to you.

Well I guess you can say I've been made to feel special for 19 years coming to Thailand 

I've had my share of disappointments in Thailand 

But overall I am treated pretty damn well

But that doesn't seem enough for a lot of people on here

One big complaint on this forum is peope say the Government blames farangs for everything 

I don't know how much that is true but who cares if it is.....

If you are an expat living there, than I think that could be a concern 

But as a tourist, Thais still treat tourists pretty damn good.

Better and more personable than most places I have been to

What else do people want?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Well I guess you can say I've been made to feel special for 19 years coming to Thailand 

I've had my share of disappointments in Thailand 

But overall I am treated pretty damn well

But that doesn't seem enough for a lot of people on here

One big complaint on this forum is peope say the Government blames farangs for everything 

But as a tourist, Thais still treat tourists pretty damn good.

Better and more personable than most places I have been to

What else do people want?

I can’t disagree with most of that mate. I think the only points I’d comment on are:

6 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I don’t think they blame foreigners for everything, but it’s a standard fall back to be used whenever they can. It’s a classic siege mentality tactic. It can and does produce a “them & us” attitude. This in turn gives a certain license to those less fair minded Thais who use it to justify the over pricing or see tourists as a legitimate target. After all, if the big men in Bangkok blame foreigners then he’s on my side right?

To be clear Marc. I don’t expect special treatment anywhere I go. Not in my own country or anywhere in the world unless I’m paying for a special service such as a business class air ticket. I also don’t think many members feel they want “Special” treatment. They just want equitable and fair treatment. As perhaps a Thai on holiday to the UK would get. They would pay the accurately metered taxi fare from the airport. Yes, a lot more than in Bangkok, but the same as you and I. They would pay the same to get in to a National park and get in free to many museums and other government sites just as you or I would. When they go in to a restaurant they would be charged the same for the meal as you or I would. If they did meet an unscrupulous Brit and needed to call the police, the chances are they would receive better treatment off the police than we would, certainly they wouldn’t assume the Thai was wrong and you and I must be right as we are English and in England. It’s these issues which get up peoples noses. I don’t think they want special treatment. People want equal and fair treatment. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, vlad said:

Well, the nail has finally sunk in. I first came to Phuket in 2008. It was great no rip-offs or scams felt safe walking around or riding around from Patong to Rawai. I noticed it going downhill when JJ Naiman the Infamous Jet ski operator. Openly filmed holding a crew member from HMS Albion at gunpoint demanding thousands from him for damage that never happened. We then witnessed the Taxi Mafia moving in slashing tyres from tourists who parked on Patong beach rd. Many were assaulted in front of children but they were never prosecuted and it was known as a free for to assault and attack tourists because they argued or were being ripped off. Nothing was done incoming police chiefs were removed if they tried to tackle crime. I think it was Chan o Cha that said " well if you walk around in a bikini what do you expect if you get raped ". Now maybe 15 years later crime is rampant in Phuket and my opinion has driven tourists away due to the rip-offs, overpricing, our safety, and lack of Police protection. It is more expensive than some Spanish or Greek destinations.

All Tourist Areas worldwide attract the worse criminal parasite scum😩Phuket has been quite bad but no worse than Goa or Bali or Phil.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Phuket is still one of the more prettier places in Thailand, if you get outside of Patong 

For me, when I 1st planned a trip to Thailand and wanted to be involved in the p4p scene, I just had no desire to go to Pattaya because it felt like just a sec holiday

And even though I would be getting up to the same things in Phuket, it was like combining a beach holiday that you can't get in Pattaya

Pattaya's Beach is nasty as hell 

Yes ... it sounds so much better if you say you're going to Phuket than Pattaya 😂!

1 minute ago, Stonker said:

Yes ... it sounds so much better if you say you're going to Phuket than Pattaya 😂!

Comparing Phuket with Pattaya is like Bournemouth vs. Blackpool.

Absolute Worlds apart 😩☠️😆

20 minutes ago, Soidog said:

People want equal and fair treatment

As long as it's equal and fair for the things we want, which is paying the same as the locals 😂!

Who cares about anything else! 

4 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Comparing Phuket with Pattaya is like Bournemouth vs. Blackpool.

Absolute Worlds apart 😩☠️😆

I've no great experience of either ... do the bar girls and boys in Blackpool go to Bournemouth when they can't make it in Blackpool any more, as the geriatrics won't notice, as they do from Pattaya to Phuket?

What I still can't get over is who do these people think they're fooling? Who goes to Phuket just for the beach? 

Seriously 😂?

1 hour ago, MelBurn said:

I've been coming to Bangkok staying for 3 and more months at a time for almost 10 years and have not seen price increases at food courts. Still was 70 baht for Tom Yum with rice in 2020.

never mentioned bkk. was talking about south

38 minutes ago, Stonker said:

I didn't care how it sounds

One is a shithole, the other one has beautiful beaches and was(too much traffic now) nice to ride around the island 

27 minutes ago, Stonker said:

I've no great experience of either ... do the bar girls and boys in Blackpool go to Bournemouth when they can't make it in Blackpool any more, as the geriatrics won't notice, as they do from Pattaya to Phuket?

What I still can't get over is who do these people think they're fooling? Who goes to Phuket just for the beach? 

Seriously 😂?

Litteraly millions of people

Actually I'd say literally 100's of millions of people over decades 

People who have never stepped into a girly bar or agogo

Almost every person I know in my industry in Hong Kong, married with kids, go to Phuket at least once a year for holiday 

49 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

All Tourist Areas worldwide attract the worse criminal parasite scum😩Phuket has been quite bad but no worse than Goa or Bali or Phil.

Tourist places all over are overpriced and over run

In most tourist places you have the main area that is over run and overpriced

All you have to, most times, is stay away from the main town

In Phuket, stay in any of the areas besides Patong 

Kata, Karon, Bang Tao

In Bali, we stayed in Seminyak, 20mins away from the busy area, and it was very pleasant 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

How haven't you been treated decently in Thailand 

And why are you still interested if you haven't been?.

I've been to about 35 countries on holiday since 2004

I went through them and don't recall feeling any sort of anger or vitriol towards any of them 

I have some bad experiences in some, but I overall I liked all the countries

Some I wouldn't rush back to

One place that stuck out that I really didn't like was Hue, Vietnam 

I didn't think it was a pretty place and my friend and I got harassed going out night

So I won't go back there but love Vietnam overall 

People on this forum have this anger towards Thailand yet are still obsessed with the place 

I will never get that

There is 100's of countries to go.....

I have done a fair share of travelling myself. Now expat for a 2nd time. Have a Thai wife which explains my affinity to Thailand. I think that I as a farang traveller am not always treated fairly, i.e. different entry fees, the extra test on day 5, taxi and Tuk Tuk rip offs.

Will I continue to go to Thailand? Sure (unless I get a new wife who is not from Thailand). But then, I am not a "normal" tourist because of my family ties.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jason said:

Interestingly, it's all about perception..... but having gone to the trouble of jumping through all the hoops and the Thailand Pass, you better get your act together, by the time I get there. It's been two years in the making and I want a holiday!!

You and me both. I left CM in March 2020, it seems a lifetime ago.

• Like 1