News Forum - Recent crimes in Phuket are damaging its reputation

Thaiger

4 hours ago, Marc26 said:

The BS drama in the village is something I just refuse to get involved with and even allow my wife to

She usually doesn't 

But I just don't care

It is funny, that guys on here bash the west and talk about "keeping up with the Jones" and such

But everyone in the village is competing

And it's all BS

But I like the village overall and just put Mt food down when it comes to nonsense drama 

I usually let her go by herself, that is the best way around it, that gives me a break of a week or two as well.☺️

I never know what is being said anyway as they speak Thai with a local southern Thai accent.

There seems to be a lot of competition with cars, I have seen many tatty small houses with a massive 1.5 million baht pickup truck on the 'drive', the car is worth more than the house on many occasions. .😀

10 minutes ago, JamesR said:

I usually let her go by herself, that is the best way around it, that gives me a break of a week or two as well.☺️

I never know what is being said anyway as they speak Thai with a local southern Thai accent.

There seems to be a lot of competition with cars, I have seen many tatty small houses with a massive 1.5 million baht pickup truck on the 'drive', the car is worth more than the house on many occasions. .😀

I enjoy the village and we never have an issue even there

It's all the BS drama that goes on after

And yes, it's who has what car, house 

There are a lot of girls in my wife's village married with farang

They all brag about what they have

Yet none of their kids, not one of them, has gone on to University 

They didn't care about their kids 

Just what they could get material wise

We will build a beautiful house in her village 

When the time comes that we are ready to enjoy it for us and our family(holy hell, that will mean gtabdkids! 5555)

Not to show it off 

5 hours ago, Marc26 said:

When the time comes that we are ready to enjoy it for us and our family(holy hell, that will mean gtabdkids! 5555)

Not to show it off 

We're lucky that falangs are rare where I live. There's a Swissy down the road but he is rarely here and stays inside if he is. People are very curious about how much money we have but my wife tells them enough but not enough for them to barrow. But  in reality  it's like them asking, how old are you? or how much do you weigh, or where are you from? These are curiosity questions that I usually give a ridiculous answer. 

People think we're rich, but we're not really. Others want to compare and say so in so has more. I say so what. We put both our kids through the university, worked two jobs, and saved. I could care less what others have, and frankly it mostly bs. People I know who are wealthy never talk about money. They consider it poor taste.

45 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

We're lucky that falangs are rare where I live. There's a Swissy down the road but he is rarely here and stays inside if he is. People are very curious about how much money we have but my wife tells them enough but not enough for them to barrow. But  in reality  it's like them asking, how old are you? or how much do you weigh, or where are you from? These are curiosity questions that I usually give a ridiculous answer. 

People think we're rich, but we're not really. Others want to compare and say so in so has more. I say so what. We put both our kids through the university, worked two jobs, and saved. I could care less what others have, and frankly it mostly bs. People I know who are wealthy never talk about money. They consider it poor taste.

To be honest 

The farangs I've met in her village are all good guys

It's the girls trying to one-up one another that is the issue

But, as you said, I just don't care

We only have her aunt and some distance cousins that live in the village

Her Mom and all brothers and sister live in Bangkok 

So need for a house until I retire 

But I'd tell my wife

My stepson goes to good schools and he has good health insurance 

That's all that matters.......

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

To be honest 

The farangs I've met in her village are all good guys

It's the girls trying to one-up one another that is the issue

But, as you said, I just don't care

We only have her aunt and some distance cousins that live in the village

Her Mom and all brothers and sister live in Bangkok 

So need for a house until I retire 

But I'd tell my wife

My stepson goes to good schools and he has good health insurance 

That's all that matters.......

We hear some of that but not from good friends. It's mostly those who had nothing before and want to show off. My wife doesn't bite and just says that good. If you don't pay attention they have nothing else to say.

18 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Not to show it off 

The reason I like to live in my area in Phuket is because all the houses are nice(about 400 houses), every house has a car.

There are Thai households which consists of about 95% of the total, farang households and mixed Thai and farang households.

People seem to be well educated and are therefore interesting to talk to, there is no chance of conflict regarding money cars or jealousy as all the households have what they need.

My house has been empty since August 2020, car on the drive and not a problem with security. 

The tests, paperwork etc to get into Thailand are too much bother to deal with and it is great here (Uk) at the moment but once it is easy to get into Thailand again I will be over again for six months to a year.

On 2/17/2022 at 5:53 PM, vlad said:

So your happy going to a street food Vendor Fred where a local pays 20bt for a barbecued chicken leg in front of you. When you buy the same piece of Chicken you pay 60tbt.

That only ever happens in the mind of the mad. 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, JamesR said:

The reason I like to live in my area in Phuket is because all the houses are nice(about 400 houses), every house has a car.

There are Thai households which consists of about 95% of the total, farang households and mixed Thai and farang households.

People seem to be well educated and are therefore interesting to talk to, there is no chance of conflict regarding money cars or jealousy as all the households have what they need.

My house has been empty since August 2020, car on the drive and not a problem with security. 

The tests, paperwork etc to get into Thailand are too much bother to deal with and it is great here (Uk) at the moment but once it is easy to get into Thailand again I will be over again for six months to a year.

My wife's village is fairly well off, by Thai standards 

It is a 3 crop area and land prices are very high for a Thai village

Plus it is only 20mins from a fairly sized city with a lot of businesses

So many families have businesses 

So most people have nice house. Not mansions but not many tin shacks around either 

So any house we build would not stick out or even be the nicest in the village 

Which is more than fine by me

20 hours ago, JamesR said:

Agree. My friend has 2 cars, a Honda Jazz and a pick up truck. Complaining about the costs and insurrance. When I propose to sell one as she can't drive 2 and only needs one: "I cannot do that, I will loose face"
Better shut up and never mention it.

21 hours ago, JamesR said:

I usually let her go by herself, that is the best way around it, that gives me a break of a week or two as well.

Coming back to this

And I am not having a go at you, but I don't understand why guys get involved with a Thai girl, any girl from anywhere, if they don't want to be involved with their family 

But I see it way more often in Thailand than anywhere else

Almost like they see Thais as 2nd class citizens 

My wife has had a lot of adjustments coming to the US and meeting and being around my family, as I have in Thailand with her family 

But that's what's being in a relationship is about 

Now that doesn't mean we have to accompany them to back home all the time

I don't 

This trip in April/May

A lot of it will be just me and my stepson 

Because my wife wants to hang with her Mom and Aunt

I will see them as well, but can't do that for 5 weeks

15 hours ago, Alavan said:

Agree. My friend has 2 cars, a Honda Jazz and a pick up truck. Complaining about the costs and insurrance. When I propose to sell one as she can't drive 2 and only needs one: "I cannot do that, I will loose face"
Better shut up and never mention it.

In every country in the world there are the educated and uneducated.

I find it is the Issan ex-bar girls who have such complexes about money and face, the Thais who have always had a good income do not care about petty things such as cars. 

That is why I have never been to Issan as I see the attitude of ex bar girls in Phuket after having hooked their latest farang victim until he has been bled dry. 

I do laugh at them though but from a distance. 

On 2/19/2022 at 3:44 PM, oldschooler said:

Yes, Phuket is great just some hills above beaches ruined by white or blackened concrete ruins…..

A trip to the opticians high might you. 😀

2 minutes ago, JamesR said:

I find it is the Issan ex-bar girls who have such complexes about money and face, the Thais who have always had a good income do not care about petty things such as cars. 

That is why I have never been to Issan as I see the attitude of ex bar girls in Phuket after having hooked their latest farang victim until he has been bled dry. 

The worse part is they claim that their family is poor (probably true) and they need to send money home, which they rarely do. It's all about living for today and having  a good time.

Respectful people don't live life like that. You won't find many respectful girls in Phuket or Pattaya.  There are many respectful girls but they have jobs and have no time for playboy falangs. 

15 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Coming back to this

And I am not having a go at you, but I don't understand why guys get involved with a Thai girl, any girl from anywhere, if they don't want to be involved with their family 

But I see it way more often in Thailand than anywhere else

Almost like they see Thais as 2nd class citizens 

My wife has had a lot of adjustments coming to the US and meeting and being around my family, as I have in Thailand with her family 

But that's what's being in a relationship is about 

Now that doesn't mean we have to accompany them to back home all the time

I don't 

This trip in April/May

A lot of it will be just me and my stepson 

Because my wife wants to hang with her Mom and Aunt

I will see them as well, but can't do that for 5 weeks

I said, "......I usually let her go by herself..." I never mentioned second class Thais etc.

I have been lots of times to see them, but most times not, I am not one of those guys who hangs onto a partner every minute of the day, she has a life too and can enjoy being with her brothers, sisters, mum etc on her own. 

9 minutes ago, JamesR said:

A trip to the opticians high might you. 😀

Me ? Open your eyes man, I’ve even told you exactly where to look , assuming you’ve even been here😒😠

6 minutes ago, JamesR said:

I said, "......I usually let her go by herself..." I never mentioned second class Thais etc.

I have been lots of times to see them, but most times not, I am not one of those guys who hangs onto a partner every minute of the day, she has a life too and can enjoy being with her brothers, sisters, mum etc on her own. 

As the white buffalo ATM , you must treat Thai family of your lady with extreme caution . Never Visit her Home Village. Never.
Old poor hard working mother of my lady gets her 3k month rent from us & most welcome to come and live with us ….. feckless brother & father etc. long since cut by my lady and have zero chance of receiving any help from me or her……

brother of friends Thai wife stole 500k baht cash from him when stupidly being allowed to stay at his house…

6 hours ago, JamesR said:

Her Honda is 12-13 years old, and the pick-up she needs as she has a small restaurant and prepares (gouvernment paid) lunch for students in neighbouring schools. Still, I think it is not wise to have 2 cars. And of course, every woman from Issaan is a bar girl,
And Thais with a good income don't care about things as cars??? Loosing face it is called. And all Thais hate it, from the PM to politicians, to generals, to rich, to poor.
Ever seen such absurdity as a captured criminal smiling proudly between 2 policemen? Not smiling is loosing face.