News Forum - First 10 days of February arrival figures for Thailand – Test & Go V2 “sluggish”

Thaiger

12 minutes ago, German4u2 said:

How stupid does the Thai government have to be to allow you to roam around between day one and day 5. That is just ridiculous I could get covid from the Thai population on day 2 it makes no sense or I could walk around test negative on the first day and then give everybody covid for the next 4 days until I go back to get check wake up people wake up

You will get COVID-19 right away in a matter of seconds after testing negative on Day 1, this is Thailand, they have their own dumb f**k rules, nothing you can do about it.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Alavan said:

He will be refused at the airport

You need a pcr test and paperwork and money to pay for it within so many hours before you’re flight home as far as I’m aware, maybe direct flights to certain countries are different 

3 hours ago, Bno said:

The world is opening up. Can someone wake up the leaders and tell them Omicron is less harmful than the annual flu. Herd immunity is well cemented in most countries and Thai ASQ is thus absolete. Open up the county. What tis hesitation? The Delta is gone 12 month ago. 

It’s pretty clear that the military backed government doesn’t give a crap about the people and is using this as a tool to keep them suppressed. It is also clear that they do not want your average western tourist. They are only interested in letting in high dollar extremely wealthy individuals. It’s a Pennywise pound foolish approach that is harming the citizens that rely on tourism for years to come

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Ksmui said:

It’s pretty clear that the military backed government doesn’t give a crap about the people and is using this as a tool to keep them suppressed. It is also clear that they do not want your average western tourist. They are only interested in letting in high dollar extremely wealthy individuals. It’s a Pennywise pound foolish approach that is harming the citizens that rely on tourism for years to come

That's pure congesture.

The present entry requirements do not favour the extremely wealthy in any way.

• Thanks 1

99thailand has to balance its needs for tourists against public health .they should controll their urge to ripoff tourists by all kinds of scams just to extract money from them... i mean thailand is a hotspot for covid so why would they restrict healthy vaccinated tourists by faking pcr tests just to quarantine some percentage of tourists so they could extract money from them.....they have have to act decent if they should see a real flow of tourism

While the Thai government flip flops on its entry policy for tourists, many of us will be hanging back until they use common sense and fact based science. If I arrive double vaccinated (actually triple vax'd now) AND with a negative PCR test already in hand, there is NO need for a second and then a third test while in-country. This is absurd and clearly nothing but a cash grab from tourists to pay for multiple unnecessary PCR tests and a windfall for the government who made deals with the ASQ hotels.

If I'm getting covid while in-country it's no different than any other Thai citizen getting covid. Are all Thai citizens tested every five days?  Not a chance. It's nothing but discrimination and a cash grab.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Noble_Design said:

I think the formula to use would be as described in the chapter Probability of Mathematics = 3.3% X 3.3% X 3.3% X 3.3% = 0.00011859%

So by taking more tests your chances of testing positive would actually be less as shown above. By the fourth time, the probability of testing positive would be 0.00011859%

Actually, taking the test multiple times is similar to flipping a coin in the mathematical sense... each time that you flip a coin there is a fifty-fifty chance of a head or tail... each time that you take a covid test the probability is still whatever the current trend is... in this case 3.3%.

The Thai government and people are trying to figure out the age old scheme of nearly every destination country in the world... "Send us your money, but stay home"

• Like 2

hummmm impressive to see some still want to go there for holidays despite all these restrictions and requirements. I think it is unlikely the number of tourist raise up that much. Covid has changed the way peoples think somehow. the impact will be huge whatever the measures are. Peoples want go back to what we had, not sure this will happen sometimes soon. i foreseen we will see more and more changes and new measures ..... how thai peoples will hold the degrading tourism business situation this will be the real question.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Noble_Design said:

I think the formula to use would be as described in the chapter Probability of Mathematics = 3.3% X 3.3% X 3.3% X 3.3% = 0.00011859%

So by taking more tests your chances of testing positive would actually be less as shown above. By the fourth time, the probability of testing positive would be 0.00011859%

Ok I knew one of you smart statisticians would come along eventually and correct me... I knew it was something like this, but I couldn't resist going extreme and dramatic.. lol. 

8 hours ago, Bifrost said:

Thais has NO shame in life when it comes to money,,    I am going to philippines..    open for all no stupid restrictions for foreigners

Yo do need 35K usd insurance  to enter

7 hours ago, Philly said:

I bumped into a few guys in Isaan who went through the process of getting here, they both said it was a nightmare. They’re both spending a month here, separately  and from different countries.

1 of them told me he’s not taking a test before he flies home, I was like I’d be careful about that.

My question is would he be allowed to fly home?

I have entered Thailand 3 times during covid restrictions ASQ jan 21 T&G Dec 21 and  right now Phuket sandbox. My experince is has been far from a nightmare.  The ASQ was something I would not like to repeat but compared to some other countrys including my own  it was   comfortable.

To other other question I would assume he would be refused boarding.  during my check in this week transiting though singapore every one was verbally questioned whislt in line and then asked for proof of pcr test  (with 48hrs of flight) when checking in.

With other South East Asian countries opening up without quarantine Thailand won't get as many as they like. The whole Test&Go scheme is to complicated and the requirements to expensive. The average traveller with 2-4 weeks holiday will not take the effort and the risk of being confined to an expensive private hospital bed seeing their holiday go into the Thai Covid-19 drain. And concerning the wealthy tourists they wil spend their money but not in the small local shops or cosy Thai restaurants without aircon. They don't take a ride with a tuktuk, they don't buy food in a seaside restaurant and take a sunbed. Thailand shoudl be more  considered with the people living here, spend their money on groceries, take away, dine out or order in. Spend money on home improvement, hetting work dine by local to people. That makes the economy run. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Noble_Design said:

I don't think so.

Firstly the tests have been proven very inaccurate with 30% false positives.

Secondly the big O is out there but doesn't make people ill, so you are likely to mix with seemingly healthy people who are infected.

Thirdly logic says the more you test the more likely you are to get a positive.

The 3.3% is not a progressive probability..... its not 3.3% of 3.3% of 3.3% etc. Its just 3.3%. So, have 30 tests over 30 days I would say almost bound to have a positive.

If probability worked your way, the more times you crossed a busy motorway blindfolded, the less chance you would have of being killed.

5 hours ago, astro said:

That's pure congesture.

The present entry requirements do not favour the extremely wealthy in any way.

Of course it is and I never insinuated that the current entry requirements favor of the wealthy. What does favor the wealthy are the golf program, the boat program, the changing of the long-term visas, the wanting to turn Pattaya into a playground for Saudi Arabia. Comments about dirty falang. There have been numerous news reports of government officials talking about developing programs and enticements for the extremely wealthy. That is not conjecture. 

• Like 1

Thai government excels at creating Byzantine rules to solve problems of little significance—think the 2pm-5pm alcohol sale ban to prevent school aged boys from fighting. 

If you want to visit, you’ll likely need to take 4 tests which might cost up to $600 or more alone.  

One might ask how much extra benefit the pcr tests gives compared to antigen tests. There’s likely tens of thousands of undiagnosed local cases daily. 

Second there needs to be clear guidelines about asymptomatic or mild symptom cases. They should be able isolate at their same or selected hotel at the same or lesser cost. 

10 hours ago, Noble_Design said:

Nope. That'll be the probability of testing positive all 4 times.

9 hours ago, German4u2 said:

How stupid does the Thai government have to be to allow you to roam around between day one and day 5. That is just ridiculous I could get covid from the Thai population on day 2 it makes no sense or I could walk around test negative on the first day and then give everybody covid for the next 4 days until I go back to get check wake up people wake up

Stupid is thinking we will pay for 3 PCR trysts - one before we arrive and be locked down day 1 and 5 so they can rip us off some more 

Most countries are facing high inflation and therefore a sharp rise in the cost of living. Travelling to Thailand under the current schemes will prove unattractive to most people. Thailand is not a foreigner friendly country like it once used to be, rapes, murders, muggings, scams etc etc.

As for immigration well I was threatening by immigration phuket to have my 1 year visa extension cancelled and deported because I made a "mistake" on my application. If they seriously think people are going to come to Thailand and invest 10's of millions in houses and businesses and employing thai people based on this kind of aggressive and threatening mentality then god help them.

6 minutes ago, Chriscpg said:

Most countries are facing high inflation and therefore a sharp rise in the cost of living. Travelling to Thailand under the current schemes will prove unattractive to most people. Thailand is not a foreigner friendly country like it once used to be, rapes, murders, muggings, scams etc etc.

As for immigration well I was threatening by immigration phuket to have my 1 year visa extension cancelled and deported because I made a "mistake" on my application. If they seriously think people are going to come to Thailand and invest 10's of millions in houses and businesses and employing thai people based on this kind of aggressive and threatening mentality then god help them.

I don’t believe for one minute the government want any of it. All of this high end tourist talk is from those who’s job it is to attract tourists. Thailand are doing what they do best and have done many many times over history. They play both sides of every issue. They want to be friends with everyone and no one. They want mass tourism but want limited tourism. They want to open the country and live with Covid and they want further restrictions. They want to sign up to climate change targets but won’t restrict the use of energy. They want safer roads but do nothing to make it happen. They want better education standards but won’t change teaching methods. They want democracy but they don’t.  They are absolute experts in supporting  both sides of a divided topic and convincing the world they support both. It’s an ability I’ve not seen elsewhere in the world, or if I have, I’ve not seen it done with such skill. 

• Like 3

Although I would qualify for test and Go, I opted for the sandbox as I'm only going to Phuket anyway. The dilemma with Test and Go is that the government has cancelled it once in response to Omicron. Fair to say it would be the first program of the three to be suspended if something else happens. People are looking for certainty of entry without too many hoops to jump through. People will always take the path of least resistance. The Thailand Pass system was a nightmare, but I finally got approval yesterday after about four attempts. 

As long as the hospitel quarantine is mandatory for people who test positive, there will not be a surge in oversea tourism.

I am surprised that the survey does not mention this point.

There has been another tourist literally ripped off in Bangkok.

Tested positive on arrival, sent to hospital, with no symptom ! They imposed blood test, XRay, and tried to put him on antiviral. 11,600 THB billed per day !!

After 3 days, and because he refused the treatment and his insurance complained, he was sent to an hospitel, 10 days, 80,000THB !!

Total over 100,000 THB for 2 weeks in hospital/tels, with no symptom !!

Now, the guy has vowed to inform all his friends and families to avoid Thailand .... and he is not the first, neither the last one

(french article)

https://www.thailande-fr.com/tourisme/117753-covid-positif-en-thailande-le-temoignage-troublant-dun-francais

Edited by Pi_Tim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

12 hours ago, German4u2 said:

555 and lol !Last year when Bangkok was inundated with the crisis,with people taking up space on the streets outside the hospitals it was the govt who told people to go back to their province’s if they were tested positive in Bangkok!

And who can forget the mad dash to go back to other provinces when they announced before the weekend that they were locking down Construction sites  in and around Bangkok (infections)on The following Monday !

16 minutes ago, Pi_Tim said:

As long as the hospitel quarantine is mandatory for people who test positive, there will not be a surge in oversea tourism.

I am surprised that the survey does not mention this point.

There has been another tourist literally ripped off in Bangkok.

Tested positive on arrival, sent to hospital, with no symptom ! They imposed blood test, XRay, and tried to put him on antiviral. 11,600 THB billed per day !!

After 3 days, and because he refused the treatment and his insurance complained, he was sent to an hospitel, 10 days, 80,000THB !!

Total over 100,000 THB for 2 weeks in hospital/tels, with no symptom !!

Now, the guy has vowed to inform all his friends and families to avoid Thailand .... and he is not the first, neither the last one

(french article)

https://www.thailande-fr.com/tourisme/117753-covid-positif-en-thailande-le-temoignage-troublant-dun-francais

Thanks for that ,Im sure there are tons of similar stories ! 
Due diligence is a friend when traveling  , especially here!

• Like 1