Thaiger Talk Quiz #038 - Name that Beer

BigHewer

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I like Chang

My wife loves Leo(which I don't mind)

I don’t mind either of them. I usually drink Leo I suppose, but I know that’s a controversial statement based on past experience in this forum 🍻😎

• Like 1

5 out of 5 as expected 😀

After 5 years of prodding the village shops to stock more than just Chang and Leo, one of them started to stock Singha and Heineken, and they are flying of the shelves (with my assistance).

For years they all used the excuse 'expensive, no one buy here, only you buy'.

Should have listened to me 5 years ago.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Saltire said:

5 out of 5 as expected 😀

After 5 years of prodding the village shops to stock more than just Chang and Leo, one of them started to stock Singha and Heineken, and they are flying of the shelves (with my assistance).

There should be a case study on Heineken's distribution salesmen

Someone sold a beer that is an acquired taste (I love it) to all corners of the globe

It's remarkable, really......

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BigHewer said:

I don’t mind either of them. I usually drink Leo I suppose, but I know that’s a controversial statement based on past experience in this forum 🍻😎

The restaurant my wife works at only has 2 local craft beers available 

I often complain 

You want a Thai or at least an Asian beer with Thai food 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Saltire said:

5 out of 5 as expected 😀

Not a great fan of Heineken, I have to admit.

Would be nice if there were more locally brewed craft beers offered for a reasonable price. So I continue to stick with Singha.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

There should be a case study on Heineken's distribution salesmen

Someone sold a beer that is an acquired taste (I love it) to all corners of the globe

It's remarkable, really......

Now with my small win, lobbying has started for San Miguel Lite 😀 may take another 5 years.

Although in the nearest (40km) town they opened a new Lotus's just last week (a major event) and they had San Mig so we bought the lot lol.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Got the Archa beer wrong

By the way

May be one of the worst beers I have ever had!

It was so bad I still remember where I bought it!

That's what I'll be serving you next visit pal  555   It's actually very close in taste to Asahi and I enjoy both.  Since Archa contains no preservative it only has a shelf life of around 4 to 6 weeks yet I often see product that's up to 6 months old on sale.

BigC, Makro and other outlets simply do not rotate stock and new goes on top or in front but eventually some poor sod buys old stock.  When beer goes OFF, it has an awful flavour which can be masked by a squeeze of lime as the beer is safe to drink.

Many Mom and Pop shops won't stock Archa due to it's short shelf life.

11 minutes ago, Fundok said:

Not a great fan of Heineken, I have to admit.

Would be nice if there were more locally brewed craft beers offered for a reasonable price. So I continue to stick with Singha.

I used to drink Heineken draft in London and loved it.  Later it was brewed in NZ for local and Australian distribution, and it was good.  Demand in Aus increased to a point where an Aussie brewer was licenced to make it and the taste changed.  I no longer enjoyed it.

Singha is good and I also like Chang but it gives me a headache. Preservatives?  Leo's too sweet for me.

5 as either been here too long or too easy. I would have a hard time and probably fail naming US beers as so many micro breweries now. Need a quizz of name that gogo bar.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Saltire said:

Now with my small win, lobbying has started for San Miguel Lite 😀 may take another 5 years.

Although in the nearest (40km) town they opened a new Lotus's just last week (a major event) and they had San Mig so we bought the lot lol.

As you would! 😁 What a great drop it is.  Very drinkable in… erm large quantities.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

I used to drink Heineken draft in London and loved it.  Later it was brewed in NZ for local and Australian distribution, and it was good.  Demand in Aus increased to a point where an Aussie brewer was licenced to make it and the taste changed.  I no longer enjoyed it.

I was living in Germany when I came of age and Heineken was looked at with disdain. My first regular drop was Krombacher (and what a drop it is!)

The only imported beers with any traction where I lived then were Guinness and Tuborg. I don’t mind Heineken per se, but I’ve only ever drunk it when the local drop was ordinary and Heineken was the “safe option”.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BigHewer said:

Funny you mention that. When I think back, I can remember the where and when of the worst beers I’ve ever bought:

Osaka Beer Festival 2008 (Israeli beer, can’t remember the name of it)

Boxing Day in Australia 2018 (tried three beers, all crap, switched to Asahi export)

Can’t remember the best ones luckily. Too many to count 😁🍻

I can only assume you were in QLD drinking 4X lol

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Saltire said:

5 out of 5 as expected 😀

In the house I will have a Heineken because its available locally.

If I go out on a night in the town its San Mig. Its lighter and means you dont get that "bloated" feeling.

Used to drink Singha but I had a bad beer from them and my body simply rejects it now.

As for the quiz. 5/5. But everyone already knew that 😁.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BigHewer said:

I was living in Germany when I came of age and Heineken was looked at with disdain. My first regular drop was Krombacher (and what a drop it is!)

The only imported beers with any traction where I lived then were Guinness and Tuborg. I don’t mind Heineken per se, but I’ve only ever drunk it when the local drop was ordinary and Heineken was the “safe option”.

Yeah I used to drink a lot of Herforder. It was OK. Grolsch was what you drank if you were getting short of money towards the end of the month.

Low and behold the next time I was back in the UK everyone was drinking Grolsch as it was the latest fad beer.

The Germans had a thing (and excuse the spelling) called Mai Boch? Where they decanted the top third of each barrel and bottled it. All the impurities were at the bottom of the barrel and you could drink that stuff like water. You could get so drunk on that stuff you feared for your eyesight but the following morning no hangover. You would still be drunk however.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Used to drink Singha but I had a bad beer from them and my body simply rejects it now.

Yea, yea, yea ...the bad pint.

How many times have I heard that...!😂

Paulaner Dunkel...now that is smashing beer. Lovely & rich, but, at 250bt bottle, too expensive to drink a lot of.

https://www.paulaner.com/our-products/weissbier-dunkel/

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Faraday said:

Yea, yea, yea ...the bad pint.

How many times have I heard that...!😂

Paulaner Dunkel...now that is smashing beer. Lovely & rich, but, at 250bt bottle, too expensive to drink a lot of.

https://www.paulaner.com/our-products/weissbier-dunkel/

No mate. I mean I was ill for days after it. I only had a couple of mouthfuls before I decided to leave it and get another but good grief. It was off. Was stricken for about 48 hours. Couldnt have been the food we were all eating the same.

It happens.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

Singha is good and I also like Chang but it gives me a headache. Preservatives?  Leo's too sweet for me.

I put a nice fresh Heineken draft up with any beer I enjoy 

7 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

That's what I'll be serving you next visit pal  555   It's actually very close in taste to Asahi and I enjoy both.  Since Archa contains no preservative it only has a shelf life of around 4 to 6 weeks yet I often see product that's up to 6 months old on sale.

BigC, Makro and other outlets simply do not rotate stock and new goes on top or in front but eventually some poor sod buys old stock.  When beer goes OFF, it has an awful flavour which can be masked by a squeeze of lime as the beer is safe to drink.

Many Mom and Pop shops won't stock Archa due to it's short shelf life.

My favorite Japanese beer is Kirin

I stay away from Sapporo that is brewed here

Gives me a headache for some reason....

13 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Yeah I used to drink a lot of Herforder. It was OK. Grolsch was what you drank if you were getting short of money towards the end of the month.

I went to an ice hockey away game in Herford once, so got to drink Herforder Pils at the source.

Lost the game, but the beer was good 🍻

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I stay away from Sapporo that is brewed here

Gives me a headache for some reason....

I’ve had the same reaction to Sapporo, I tend to avoid it as well.

13 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

In the house I will have a Heineken because its available locally.

If I go out on a night in the town its San Mig. Its lighter and means you dont get that "bloated" feeling.

As for the quiz. 5/5. But everyone already knew that 😁.

Yes San Mig Lite is easily my favourite but apart from the new Lotus's is almost impossible to buy without a 3 hour drive.

No bloating is a big plus.

A big negative is, it''s the only beer my wife will drink so I have to share 😀.

• Like 2

Just now, Saltire said:

Yes San Mig Lite is easily my favourite but apart from the new Lotus's is almost impossible to buy without a 3 hour drive.

No bloating is a big plus.

A big negative is, it''s the only beer my wife will drink so I have to share 😀.

Rookiescot does not share beer. 😛

• Haha 2