News Forum - Indonesia purchases six Rafale fighter jets from France

Thaiger

The defence minister in Indonesia’s capital Jakarta says the country is buying six Rafale fighter jets, confirming that a deal was signed with France yesterday as part of an order of 42 warplanes. Jakarta is replacing its ageing fleet of warplanes, which are mostly American F-16 fighter jets and Russian Sukhoi fighter jets. Indonesia’s first order for French fighter jets comes as tensions between US and China grow, raising concerns across Asia. The announcement comes after French Defense Minister Florence Parly, who is now in Indonesia, revealed in her tweet that Indonesia had placed an order for fighter jets, adding […]

The story Indonesia purchases six Rafale fighter jets from France as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, CamPat said:

Smart move by Indonesia to stay away from US mil. Products which will only put  future shackles on the Country.

Except for the fact that was yesterdays news. The very next day Indonesia’s order for $14B worth of F-15EXs was approved by the US. 

• Like 2

wow very surprising to me. I expected them to get the new Russians fighter jets, not the NATO ones....

who knows a good geopolitical news channels that covers also Indonesia?

6 hours ago, gavi said:

wow very surprising to me. I expected them to get the new Russians fighter jets, not the NATO ones....

Exactly. Fact is Russian jets are normally much cheaper (not worse, just not as expensive), and the Rafale has a reputation for being expensive even by NATO standards. More bang for your buck thing. 

There is often a geopolitical angle to weapon purchases, but there always is when it comes to jets. You tie yourself to a country when you buy jets because of the constant training and spare parts/weapon purchasing over it's lifespan. Indonesia gets in a tussle with Australia or Singapore, you better already have everything you need because the store is now closed. Do so with someone further north, no problem. Makes me think someone is picking sides without actually coming out and saying so. At the very least tilting one way rather than playing it straight up as in the recent past.