Music Thread

Vordus

Music is, or can be important in one's life. I do not share some tune as you suggest, but will add that while strongly into rock when I was younger, now it is spread among many genres. Blues and pop from my younger time as well as some classical music and even some piano and violin performances... Enjoy/listen to music every day.

• Like 1

I love guitar music, the twang and kerching of the electric guitar from groups like Creedence Clearwater Revival also the skill some people can get out of the acoustic guitar like this guy Doug Smith who plays a version of 'Stars and Stripes Forever' his dexterity is truly remarkable.

• Like 1

Love the guitar even though I've been 'learning for more than 30 years and not got past beginner level!

Good opportunity for me to post one of my favourite players, Angus Young of AC/DC.

I defy you to stay seated 😀 as they say, watch till the end.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Love the guitar even though I've been 'learning for more than 30 years and not got past beginner level!

Yes been learning the guitar about the same time, that is to say I have 3 guitars secreted around the room doing absolutely nothing but looking ornamental.

One of my favourite singers is Johnny Cash with his Tennessee Three band with guitarist Luther Perkins. It was Luther that gave Johnny Cash his unique sound.

This is Roy Clark another hell of a guitarist fooling around to Johnny Cash 'Folsom Prison Blues' 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vordus said:

What kind of music do you enjoy?

Share some tunes.

I like metal -

I like this, I assume they are from Europe?

I like metal but, like Rap, the screaming onto the mic does nothing for me.

Unless of course it's Ramstein.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

Yes been learning the guitar about the same time, that is to say I have 3 guitars secreted around the room doing absolutely nothing but looking ornamental.

One of my favourite singers is Johnny Cash with his Tennessee Three band with guitarist Luther Perkins. It was Luther that gave Johnny Cash his unique sound.

This is Roy Clark another hell of a guitarist fooling around to Johnny Cash 'Folsom Prison Blues' 

Good video, not seen that before, thanks.

I assume youve seen the movie on Cash's life, Walk the line, great movie.

• Like 1

This thread could go on forever as everyone has different tastes in the thousands of musical genres there are these days.

I like The Beatles and Beach Boys ! 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Good video, not seen that before, thanks.

I assume youve seen the movie on Cash's life, Walk the line, great movie.

Yes great movie, bought the CD. First heard J Cash on the radio as a young soldier in Bahrain around 1970, I had never heard music like that before, so melodic, so one of the songs I love playing is 'I Walk the Line'

32 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

This thread could go on forever as everyone has different tastes in the thousands of musical genres there are these days.

I like The Beatles and Beach Boys ! 

Do you think that the Beatles would have been as popular without the 5th Beatle George Martin. No doubt about it the boys had charisma by the bucket full, but maybe they would have made it but not to the extent they did without the genius of G Martin, they were certainly a great team.

• Like 1

I am definitely stuck in the 70’s as regards to music , with two older brothers ( 3 & 5 years older) my music tastes were defined for me.

On one side : Purple, Yes , Free, Clapton, Led Zep, Tull, Floyd and BJH etc

On the other: Elton, Rod , T Rex , Beatles , Bowie etc.

Added some more to that list myself: Robert Cray, Derek Trucks, Queen, Chris Cornell, Steely Dan , Foo Fighters etc etc etc

While I admire the abilities of Ed Sheehan and Adele etc and can listen to them ‘70 to ‘73 music is my greatest love and with the exception of Greta Van Fleet feel that era music is lost.

Some , like Deep Purple with their recent mediocre albums and most recent “ all covers “ release refuse to lay down and Yes and Tull with their most recent release feel that just 1 long time band member is enough to retain the famous brand name, continue to try and entertain despite their advancing years.

With the exception of this guy, whose voice ( imho ) is as good as its ever been .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

I am definitely stuck in the 70’s as regards to music , with two older brothers ( 3 & 5 years older) my music tastes were defined for me.

On one side : Purple, Yes , Free, Clapton, Led Zep, Tull, Floyd and BJH etc

On the other: Elton, Rod , T Rex , Beatles , Bowie etc.

Added some more to that list myself: Robert Cray, Derek Trucks, Queen, Chris Cornell, Steely Dan , Foo Fighters etc etc etc

While I admire the abilities of Ed Sheehan and Adele etc and can listen to them ‘70 to ‘73 music is my greatest love and with the exception of Greta Van Fleet feel that era music is lost.

Some , like Deep Purple with their recent mediocre albums and most recent “ all covers “ release refuse to lay down and Yes and Tull with their most recent release feel that just 1 long time band member is enough to retain the famous brand name, continue to try and entertain despite their advancing years.

With the exception of this guy, whose voice ( imho ) is as good as its ever been .

Saw Paul Rogers at the Leeds Town & Country. Great singer.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

Do you think that the Beatles would have been as popular without the 5th Beatle George Martin. No doubt about it the boys had charisma by the bucket full, but maybe they would have made it but not to the extent they did without the genius of G Martin, they were certainly a great team.

And the Beach Boys without brother Brian at the start.

Edited by WilliamG

A slightly off topic, but still relevant, addition to this topic if I may:

Anyone who, like myself, preferred the late 60’s - early 70’s music might be interested in this eBook highlighting the journey to the edge of sanity traveled by many of the popular musicians of the era.

https://en.th1lib.org/book/3607742/49c3f1

Edited by DwizzleyMatthews
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marble-eye said:

Yes agree, he was the resident creative genius and there were several like him at the time that had the gift.

Another genius producer arranger I admire is David Foster (although he's a bit of a prat) and the netflix documentary on him is worth a look. David Foster Off the record.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 8:44 PM, Saltire said:

I like this, I assume they are from Europe?

I like metal but, like Rap, the screaming onto the mic does nothing for me.

Haiduk is from Canada with European (Serbian) members. 

And I agree, the less screaming the better. I enjoy metal for the music mainly, not vocals. 

• Like 1

Have a wide and diverse taste mainly due to listening to John Peel (BBC Radio 1) and Nicky Horne (Capital Radio) back in the mid 70's on an ear-piece when I should have been asleep.

Prog Rock (especially Genesys,ELP  and Yes with all the solo stuff), Led Zep, Purple, Sabbath, Quo, Humble Pie (Like to say it's really been a gas this time), The Who (Hammy Odeon 23rd Dec 1976 still my fav gig of all time).

For guitar hero's,  then Robin Trower , Jeff Beck (turned down a ticket for Ronnie Scott's in 2007, after seeing the video, definitely a 24 🥕  plonker), Clapton, Dave Gilmore / Pink Floyd and Tommy Emanual. 

Big Zappa fan, saw him 3 times. The 77 Punk era, Adverts, Stranglers, Clash, XTC, X-Ray Spex, Ian Dury, Stiff Records (Nick Lowe, Elvis Costello, Dave Edmunds), Squeeze, The Police & Boomtown Rats  to name but a few.

Really like the Australian 80's stuff, Oils, Chisel, Mentals, Men at Work, INXS, Models, Angels, Johnny Farnham/LRB and Acca Dacca. Plus numerous UK stuff. I think the 80's was the most productive, original decade for music; ever.

For 90's only really liked Blur. And 00's; then Muse.

However, my favorite 2 pieces of music are The Blue Danube (2001 A Space Odyssey) and Elgar's Nimrod, always brings a tear. 

With the advent of streaming services, I listen to more music now then before, admittedly as background. However I do enjoy my iPod and Bose headphones when I want to listen to an Album as originally mastered.

Anyone for the Birdy Song?

On 2/15/2022 at 2:18 AM, WrightT said:

For guitar hero's,  then Robin Trower , Jeff Beck (turned down a ticket for Ronnie Scott's in 2007, after seeing the video, definitely a 24 🥕  plonker), Clapton, Dave Gilmore / Pink Floyd and Tommy Emanual. 

Some greats there, I would probably add Brian May and Peter Green, you sure picked a star with Tommy Emmanuel though, he would be up there as the greatest guitar player of all time, IMO.

7 hours ago, Marble-eye said:

Some greats there, I would probably add Brian May and Peter Green, you sure picked a star with Tommy Emmanuel though, he would be up there as the greatest guitar player of all time, IMO.

Ah. Yes, totally forgot Peter Green. It was 2 in the morning when I wrote it. On reflection missed Gary Moore. Blues, Jazz-Rock (Coliseum II) as well as HM. 

If you haven't seen Tommy's TED talk, then we'll worth a view.

Now, as to the subject of Bass players  Stanley Clark, Nathan East, Perry Jones, John Entwistle,  Pino Palladino, Chris Squire and Mark King to name but a few.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WrightT said:

Ah. Yes, totally forgot Peter Green. It was 2 in the morning when I wrote it. On reflection missed Gary Moore. Blues, Jazz-Rock (Coliseum II) as well as HM. 

If you haven't seen Tommy's TED talk, then we'll worth a view.

Now, as to the subject of Bass players  Stanley Clark, Nathan East, Perry Jones, John Entwistle,  Pino Palladino, Chris Squire and Mark King to name but a few.

Have seen it before but I have been looking for it to watch again, so thanks for that, the guy has so much a talent.👍

• 2 weeks later...