Thammasat’s High School Denies Teaching Distorted History

Bluesofa

BANGKOK — The demonstration school of Thammasat University on Sunday refuted allegations that it has distorted the teaching of Thai history and the monarchy.

The statement issued by the school, known officially as Thammasat Secondary School, came after allegations of it becoming a hotbed for anti-government and anti-monarchy indoctrination of the youth.

The accusations, which have been featured on several pro-establishment media, even reached PM Prayut Chan-o-cha, who last week ordered related agencies to look into the school and its syllabus.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2022/02/07/thammasats-high-school-denies-teaching-distorted-history/

The Twitter account for KhaosodEnglish linked to their news article above with the heading: 
'The school comes under fire for teaching students to think by themselves'
https://twitter.com/KhaosodEnglish/status/1490557537179303936?cxt=HBwWgIDUjdmLw68pAAAA&cn=ZmxleGlibGVfcmVjcw%3D%3D&refsrc=email

What a wonderfully subversive school!

"It offers distinctive curriculum to other Thai schools where students can make their own subject choices including survival skills and media literacy.

It also does not require students to wear uniforms or participate in mandatory activities such as scouting and morning flag raising ceremony."

Seriously; no uniforms? No tedious flag-raising? How are children supposed to learn without uniforms and flag-raising?

This needs to be stopped; it is one small step away from teaching kids to think for themselves, and that simply won't do.

BTW, check out today's BP Editorial on this:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/2261231/dont-believe-all-you-read

PS Congrats and Kudos to Mr. Sofa on becoming a Moderator.

That was the last nice thing I will ever say to you.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Shade_Wilder
That horrible other forum won't let me use my favourite emoji here; they are bad people
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks @Shade_Wilderfor your post and your kinds words, along with the BKK Post article.
Carrying on regarding schools and their teaching agenda:

Military should ask themselves why Thai student test scores are so low

There is no secret that past and present military governments have distorted history to sell their agenda in the classroom. It is also no secret that Thailand’s conservative elite have gone along with the rewriting of history because it suits their narrative.

I have studied at Thai public schools in my secondary years and international schools in my middle and high school years and the difference between the Thai schools and the international schools is not only in the language but what constitutes as historical ‘facts’ as well.

For example, some public schools still teach students that Thailand has never been colonized by anyone.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/37297/opinion-military-should-ask-themselves-why-thai-student-test-scores-are-so-low/ 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

For example, some public schools still teach students that Thailand has never been colonized by anyone.

Because no-one else wanted it.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:
23 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Because no-one else wanted it.

Apart from the Japanese invasion of course in December 1941.
It was important to them strategically. To the south to invade Singapore. To the north to invade Burma.

44 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

I have studied at Thai public schools in my secondary years and international schools in my middle and high school years and the difference between the Thai schools and the international schools is not only in the language but what constitutes as historical ‘facts’ as well.

Interesting.

Although not in Thailand, I also did my high school years split between State and Private/Boarding schools in my native country and the difference was truly astounding. Further, I was a Teacher Trainer for a spell back in the 90s in the SE Asia region and received a professional view of both.

The vast chasm in the quality of Education often made me wonder if it was intentional, even though that idea borders on conspiracy theory in my books ('Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by stupidity'). In my time, the real difference was writing. While I was at State High School, I didn't write a damn thing, literally nothing, over a period of years. In Private education, I had weekly writing assignments and if you ever missed one, there was serious hell to pay. To be honest, I learned more in my two years of Private High School/Boarding school than I did doing my undergrad. 

It was when I was a Teacher Trainer in the SEA region that I really saw the disparity; the Private schools had individual books for their students, chairs and desks for one student, blackboards without serious ruts and ten to fifteen to a class. Contrasting wildly, I once worked with a State teacher who had a class of fifty-two students, about fifteen/twenty books (three students to a book) and there was a weekly rotation on who got a seat at a desk. Okay, that was the worst and not all were that bad, but the differences...

What I liked most on the original story (above) was a class on "Survival Skills", that is something that I argued for every week of every year of my teaching career. Like something out of the movie To Sir With Love (Sidney Poitier rules!), high school students could really, really benefit from a course on how to make/manage a budget, how to pay bills, the need to be able to both shop and cook food, how to save, etc. etc. etc. It wouldn't even be controversial, but some basic living skills (Survival Skills) would have gone a long way. Hmm... anyone out there who didn't eat pot noodles every night during their first week away from home? Anyone?

Thailand is caught in the middle-income trap and will never ever leave it until its Education System improves, but for the life of me, I can't imagine that happening; the last great 'Reformation' of Thai Universities that I recall was a new system of gaining entrance, and not on curriculum development. And no, it didn't really work as they used Thai University Grads to design and implement it.

Many years ago, I saw an interview with Lee Kwan Yew, the Late Prime Minister of Singapore where he was asked if he was worried about his country's future surrounded by more populated and resource-rich nations. He smiled, looked into the camera, and said...

"What are their Education systems like?"

Nothing more needs to be said.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

Apart from the Japanese invasion of course in December 1941.
It was important to them strategically. To the south to invade Singapore. To the north to invade Burma.

The British and French declared it a buffer zone.

There was nothing in Thailand that you could not get from Burma, Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia.

Hence none of the world powers were interested in it. 

• Thanks 1

I am not sure if the interest in this subject is more the hypocrisy of the ruling Elite in Thailand or the interest in the study of proper History, the lessons to be learned, the best practices and the use of it as a tool of persuasion; for me it is both and more.

I was pondering this on my morning cycle (as you do), and there are some interesting comparisons with the Thai Elite's thoughts on teaching History and some of the Cousins Across the Pond's ideas of Critical Race Theory (CRT). I should note that this is a huge issue and I simply can't even begin to do it justice in a short post; if interested, you'll have to do a lot of digging yourself.

What is CRT? To vastly oversimplify, it is a graduate school-level approach (more on this below) of historical analysis which posits that understanding US History requires one to view events through the lens of slavery, and it has its roots in something called the 1619 project. 

The correlation between the US Right/Trump and the Thai Elite is in the idea that neither is willing to accept history/ideas which don't paint themselves in a favourable light; Thais say they were 'never colonized' and the US Right/Trump say that 'race isn't really an issue' (again, an oversimplification), and both of them are hell-bent on ensuring that 'wrong' ideas aren't taught to high school students. The article quoted in the OP demonstrates the Thai side, and if you look about in the US, there are now laws being enacted in many Right-leaning states banning the teaching of CRT. However, as noted above, CRT isn't actually being taught in US high schools as it is a graduate school-level theory which, although quite interesting, isn't even definitive and may well never be.

It is interesting that two different countries/cultures take such a similar approach to dealing with issues that disturb elements of their respective ruling classes; the lesson that I draw is that both the Thai Establishment and the US Right/Trump talk tough, but in the end are merely giant snowflakes who can't handle some basic truths.

As I noted, this is a BIG issue and if interested, you'll have to do your own research. Some starting points...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_1619_Project

Google: 1619 project, Critical Race Theory (CRT), NY Times newspaper 1619 project

50 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

I am not sure if the interest in this subject is more the hypocrisy of the ruling Elite in Thailand or the interest in the study of proper History, the lessons to be learned, the best practices and the use of it as a tool of persuasion; for me it is both and more.

I was pondering this on my morning cycle (as you do), and there are some interesting comparisons with the Thai Elite's thoughts on teaching History and some of the Cousins Across the Pond's ideas of Critical Race Theory (CRT). I should note that this is a huge issue and I simply can't even begin to do it justice in a short post; if interested, you'll have to do a lot of digging yourself.

What is CRT? To vastly oversimplify, it is a graduate school-level approach (more on this below) of historical analysis which posits that understanding US History requires one to view events through the lens of slavery, and it has its roots in something called the 1619 project. 

The correlation between the US Right/Trump and the Thai Elite is in the idea that neither is willing to accept history/ideas which don't paint themselves in a favourable light; Thais say they were 'never colonized' and the US Right/Trump say that 'race isn't really an issue' (again, an oversimplification), and both of them are hell-bent on ensuring that 'wrong' ideas aren't taught to high school students. The article quoted in the OP demonstrates the Thai side, and if you look about in the US, there are now laws being enacted in many Right-leaning states banning the teaching of CRT. However, as noted above, CRT isn't actually being taught in US high schools as it is a graduate school-level theory which, although quite interesting, isn't even definitive and may well never be.

It is interesting that two different countries/cultures take such a similar approach to dealing with issues that disturb elements of their respective ruling classes; the lesson that I draw is that both the Thai Establishment and the US Right/Trump talk tough, but in the end are merely giant snowflakes who can't handle some basic truths.

As I noted, this is a BIG issue and if interested, you'll have to do your own research. Some starting points...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_1619_Project

Google: 1619 project, Critical Race Theory (CRT), NY Times newspaper 1619 project

Gotta disagree with that.  CRT is not about equality or balance, it is left-wing virtue signalling rubbish parading as academic rational reason.  Yes - there were many bad things done because of race in the past - in all countries. But what CRT denies and fails to accept is that the people of today did not commit those acts of the past, that they are trying to resolve and restitute, but they are not responsible for them.  Sure they can and must learn from the past, and yes it is still an ongoing issue that must be faced and resolved, but CRT is total khrapp.  For a start - lets define what it is:  "CRT aims to reframe the country's history by placing the consequences of slavery and the contributions of Black Americans at the very center of the United States' national narrative" (see your link).  That is what the 'founders' of CRT have stated - journalists at the New York Times - a Bastian of left wing politics and virtue signalling self-flagellators. 

With regards to CRT I have to ask the obvious :-  What about Indians? Hispanics? Women? Gays? etc etc. Then I have to ask :- Why should the current society be forced to punish themselves and relive again and again the bad things of the past.  What about facing the issues and resolving them - the solution aint about forcing one group to constantly accept all the blame for all the bad things done to another group in the past. That will not resolve the issues - that will further alienate and divide people. 

With regards to Thailand education system - there are obvious shortcomings that is for sure.  But teaching National Pride (flags) and Discipline (uniforms) is a good thing. Just look at the much vaunted Singapore system - school kids wear uniforms and they are the best in the Region - same in Japan and many others. Things like uniforms are not the problem - the Thai teachers and the Education system are the problem. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

Gotta disagree with that.  CRT is not about equality or balance, it is left-wing virtue signalling rubbish parading as academic rational reason.  Yes - there were many bad things done because of race in the past - in all countries. But what CRT denies and fails to accept is that the people of today did not commit those acts of the past, that they are trying to resolve and restitute, but they are not responsible for them.  Sure they can and must learn from the past, and yes it is still an ongoing issue that must be faced and resolved, but CRT is total khrapp.  For a start - lets define what it is:  "CRT aims to reframe the country's history by placing the consequences of slavery and the contributions of Black Americans at the very center of the United States' national narrative" (see your link).  That is what the 'founders' of CRT have stated - journalists at the New York Times - a Bastian of left wing politics and virtue signalling self-flagellators. 

With regards to CRT I have to ask the obvious :-  What about Indians? Hispanics? Women? Gays? etc etc. Then I have to ask :- Why should the current society be forced to punish themselves and relive again and again the bad things of the past.  What about facing the issues and resolving them - the solution aint about forcing one group to constantly accept all the blame for all the bad things done to another group in the past. That will not resolve the issues - that will further alienate and divide people. 

With regards to Thailand education system - there are obvious shortcomings that is for sure.  But teaching National Pride (flags) and Discipline (uniforms) is a good thing. Just look at the much vaunted Singapore system - school kids wear uniforms and they are the best in the Region - same in Japan and many others. Things like uniforms are not the problem - the Thai teachers and the Education system are the problem. 

Oh Robert, I don't you will be pleased with this reply  :)

Will I be blocked if I point out how spectacularly wrong you are when you wrote this?

"CRT aims to reframe the country's history by placing the consequences of slavery and the contributions of Black Americans at the very center of the United States' national narrative" (see your link).  That is what the 'founders' of CRT have stated - journalists at the New York Times - a Bastian of left wing politics and virtue signalling self-flagellators. 

The "founders" of CRT didn't state this, and they weren't journalists at NYT

CRT was a concept in academics that goes back 40 years, created by numerous legal scholars

The quote that you erroneously attributed to them, is from the 1619 Project and the quote is from that publication, by Nikole Hannah-Jones and other writers. Published in 2019, 40 years after CRT became a concept

I mean how can you talk about "self flagellators" when you don't even know what you are quoting?

The 1619 Project is a long-form journalism endeavor developed by Nikole Hannah-Jones, writers from The New York Times, and The New York Times Magazine which "aims to reframe the country's history by placing the consequences of slavery and the contributions of Black Americans at the very center of the United States' national narrative."

Both touch on race but the 1619 Project is not the same as CRT

The 1619 Project is more bombastic and deals with slavery where as CRT is more about the racism and perceived racist policies that some feel have shaped the country

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

Er... Ahem... Wow.

I occasionally enjoy your posts, but this time you clearly didn't really read or understand what I wrote; your rabid glee to write some kind of 'Anti-Woke' screed seems to have blinded you.

I could refute your comments one by one, but my general 'rule of the thumb' is that anyone who repeatedly uses 'trigger' phrases, be they Left or Right, isn't worth talking-to (sorry). "Left Wing" "Virtue-signaling" "rubbish" "parading" "rational" all in your first sentence? 

Respectfully, you are as 'Anti-Woke' as a granola-eating, Birkenstock-wearing, long-haired and bearded SJW is 'Woke', and I have no use for either of you.

'Beware that the shadow you chase is not the shadow you cast'

Have a nice day.

Edited by Shade_Wilder
Smelling- need coffee

8 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Er... Ahem... Wow.

I occasionally enjoy your posts, but this time you clearly didn't really read or understand what I wrote; your rabid glee to write some kind of 'Anti-Woke' screed seems to have blinded you.

I could refute your comments one by one, by my general 'rule of the thumb' is that anyone who repeatedly uses 'trigger' phrases, be they Left or Right, isn't worth talking-to (sorry). "Left Wing" "Virtue-signaling" "rubbish" "parading" "rational" all in your first sentence? 

Respectfully, you are as 'Anti-Woke' as a granola-eating, Birkenstock-wearing, long-haired and bearded SJW is 'Woke', and I have no use for either of you.

'Beware that the shadow you chase is not the shadow you cast'

Have a nice day.

So you ignore yourself?  Ditto mate 🙂

• Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 8:48 AM, Marc26 said:

Oh Robert, I don't you will be pleased with this reply  :)

Will I be blocked if I point out how spectacularly wrong you are when you wrote this?

"CRT aims to reframe the country's history by placing the consequences of slavery and the contributions of Black Americans at the very center of the United States' national narrative" (see your link).  That is what the 'founders' of CRT have stated - journalists at the New York Times - a Bastian of left wing politics and virtue signalling self-flagellators. 

The "founders" of CRT didn't state this, and they weren't journalists at NYT

CRT was a concept in academics that goes back 40 years, created by numerous legal scholars

The quote that you erroneously attributed to them, is from the 1619 Project and the quote is from that publication, by Nikole Hannah-Jones and other writers. Published in 2019, 40 years after CRT became a concept

I mean how can you talk about "self flagellators" when you don't even know what you are quoting?

The 1619 Project is a long-form journalism endeavor developed by Nikole Hannah-Jones, writers from The New York Times, and The New York Times Magazine which "aims to reframe the country's history by placing the consequences of slavery and the contributions of Black Americans at the very center of the United States' national narrative."

Both touch on race but the 1619 Project is not the same as CRT

The 1619 Project is more bombastic and deals with slavery where as CRT is more about the racism and perceived racist policies that some feel have shaped the country

Looney left rubbish 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, nobusinessofurs said:

Looney left rubbish 

Do you realize I never actually gave my opinion about either CRT or The 1619 Project, right?

Go ahead

Tell me what I posted that isn't true?

Bob was bashing CRT and didn't even do enough research to know that it was The 1619 Project that said what he quoted....

Is that false what I said?

What's hilarious about your reply is that I didn't even really give my opinion on either 

I just stated who said what and facts

So to you, stating facts is "lefty loony rubbish "

That makes sense 

History is used as a tool to justify modern day actions.

Many people may say they fear the rewriting of history. Why? Historians do it everyday as their research revels new “truths” about what we thought happened. Most eye-witness accounts of history are not recorded. For example, do you write a daily diary of what you did and why so those in the future can understand what happened?

The answer is more likely to be no than yes, and hence future historians will suffer the same way as those today do, as they assume what happened at events based on what they can find. History will always be rewritten.

In my opinion, it is more likely people fear what others intend to do by “rewriting history” than the action of doing it. How many Historians do you hear on the public airwaves sprouting the need for such a change? It is generally others. Those with a separate agenda that are the loudest as usual.

How will history judge their actions or will someone else rewrite it in the future?

21 hours ago, Smithydog said:

History is used as a tool to justify modern day actions.

Many people may say they fear the rewriting of history. Why? Historians do it everyday as their research revels new “truths” about what we thought happened. Most eye-witness accounts of history are not recorded. For example, do you write a daily diary of what you did and why so those in the future can understand what happened?

The answer is more likely to be no than yes, and hence future historians will suffer the same way as those today do, as they assume what happened at events based on what they can find. History will always be rewritten.

In my opinion, it is more likely people fear what others intend to do by “rewriting history” than the action of doing it. How many Historians do you hear on the public airwaves sprouting the need for such a change? It is generally others. Those with a separate agenda that are the loudest as usual.

How will history judge their actions or will someone else rewrite it in the future?

Like tearing down statues and defacing public monuments?  'History is written by the victors' is as true now as it was back then. But that does not mean that we re-write it many decades later. The best solution has always been to write another version of the history - not to delete and erase the previous version/s and alienate those that believe/support that version. That method smacks of fanatic ideological dogma - like those religions that attack and destroy all relics and memories of another religion because it is 'wrong'. There is no 'correct' version of history - no one was there and experienced first hand everything - what is written is an 'accepted' account at the time of writing. We do best to live with that, and where necessary create a new version - tearing down and destroying the previous versions is not the answer - for that path leads to the next version tearing down this one - and on and on it will go.  There was back then and there still is today, absolutely no reason to tear down the statues of the Gods and the Places of Worship that were built by Romans. 

"History is written by the victors"

You might win history for a certain time period, but that doesn’t imply no one will question your actions in the future!

Tearing down statues and defacing monuments is not something new. People have done it, believed to be in protest or trying to convey an opinion, since ancient times. The history still exists for them. Take for example the following article. History still exists for them. But for modern day scholars, questions do remain.

https://www.colorado.edu/asmagazine/2020/08/20/ancient-cancel-cultures-defacement-statues-america-replicates-tradition-going-back

Personally, I have little  control over any curriculum for any school, nor the actions of some to "change history". As an example, I don't vote in American elections so they can choose to do what they want at what time suits them. If they want to spend their time complaining about people being "woke" and the "cancel culture" sometimes misrepresenting the actual meaning of the terms, then they can do so. They are just the catch words for another generation.

But as a parent, if I felt what is being taught in a school is wrong then I would discuss it with my children. I would show them how to search historical records to understand events from the past. The internet can provide wonderful tools to assist in that, like 3D etc.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00219266.2021.1877774?journalCode=rjbe20

Not sure the uniform is such a big deal, but the ramming at the every morning assembly of the national anthem down their throats is. And these assemblies will also have other connotations thrown in that I will not mention. I will toss in that the boys also will have these mandatory chopped buzz cuts either on their own or forced on them as the girls depending on what school also have to conform in a way. What does this do? It sort of takes away personal identity as it is meant to do, and the only thing I see that can stand out of a personal thing is what toys or little things the students clip onto theri back packs. Even jackets and sweaters are for the most part controlled. I can say that my kids now being out of these school charades are happy as heck, but they may only cherrish their long time friends with these friendships is all they got out of it.

13 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Not sure the uniform is such a big deal, but the ramming at the every morning assembly of the national anthem down their throats is. And these assemblies will also have other connotations thrown in that I will not mention. I will toss in that the boys also will have these mandatory chopped buzz cuts either on their own or forced on them as the girls depending on what school also have to conform in a way. What does this do? It sort of takes away personal identity as it is meant to do, and the only thing I see that can stand out of a personal thing is what toys or little things the students clip onto theri back packs. Even jackets and sweaters are for the most part controlled. I can say that my kids now being out of these school charades are happy as heck, but they may only cherrish their long time friends with these friendships is all they got out of it.

I always found that Thai kids, well Asians in general, liked school much more than kids in North America 

But I think a lot of that has to do with the lack of sporting/social life outside of school

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I always found that Thai kids, well Asians in general, liked school much more than kids in North America 

But I think a lot of that has to do with the lack of sporting/social life outside of school

Sporting/social life is good for some but not everyone. My children are tall and benefitted playing basketball, but many kids are excluded. 

I think in many regards these activities separate kids so they don't feel part.  Those that Excell in sports or are the most popular aren't always the best students. 

Neither of my children went on to play university sports because they realized the commitment was too high.

3 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Sporting/social life is good for some but not everyone. My children are tall and benefitted playing basketball, but many kids are excluded. 

I think in many regards these activities separate kids so they don't feel part.  Those that Excell in sports or are the most popular aren't always the best students. 

Neither of my children went on to play university sports because they realized the commitment was too high.

I just meant sports as a social outlet more than anything 

But I just don't think Asia has as good as a social culture for kids that a lot of Western countries do

So in turn, the kids look more forward to school because that is where they predominantly socialise 

My stepson would happily stay in school to 5-6pm when he was in middle school and high school

4 hours ago, Marc26 said:

In the case of my kids, they liked being with their friends once they got there, and my son loved being on the basketball team. In general I see Thai schools and the kids a lot nicer than our schools with groups, peer pressures and bullying. Seems like a harsher climate over yonder. Bad thing is now, my son likes Univsity but is at a stand still to only doing online, and he is missing part of thhe best time of his life. He is 3rd yeara and its almost over. My daughter first year same Uni, has never been in class and has only gathered to meet her somke of her fellow classmates at the Uni. Missing the best time of her life, and also online learning is leaving them both with a void as there is nothign to compare to the in class and face to face. Irreplaceable. I feel so sad for them. But the real thing is that they are well aware of the true history here as well are their friends, and in general that brain washing every school tries to do does not work with the new generation.

48 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

In the case of my kids, they liked being with their friends once they got there, and my son loved being on the basketball team. In general I see Thai schools and the kids a lot nicer than our schools with groups, peer pressures and bullying. Seems like a harsher climate over yonder. Bad thing is now, my son likes Univsity but is at a stand still to only doing online, and he is missing part of thhe best time of his life. He is 3rd yeara and its almost over. My daughter first year same Uni, has never been in class and has only gathered to meet her somke of her fellow classmates at the Uni. Missing the best time of her life, and also online learning is leaving them both with a void as there is nothign to compare to the in class and face to face. Irreplaceable. I feel so sad for them. But the real thing is that they are well aware of the true history here as well are their friends, and in general that brain washing every school tries to do does not work with the new generation.

My stepson is also in his 3rd year but he has an apartment basically on campus

And he was in school during normal times about 1 1/2 yesterday so thankfully he had his social circle and that has kept up

Also because he is in Physical Therapy, they need to be in person for a decent amount of his classes

So he hasn't missed out on as much as, unfortunately, other kids have 

3 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

My stepson is also in his 3rd year but he has an apartment basically on campus

And he was in school during normal times about 1 1/2 yesterday so thankfully he had his social circle and that has kept up

Also because he is in Physical Therapy, they need to be in person for a decent amount of his classes

So he hasn't missed out on as much as, unfortunately, other kids have 

Lucky for your son in a big way. CMU is still not happening at the UNI. Yeah, my son had about a year which was great for him (on the basketball department team with games and class camaraderie, each department has a team for different activity games). Then CV-19 lightened up a bit and they were able to get in a tiny little bit more for the 2nd year before the Delta whacked everything shut for where it remains. My kids live at home so for me I have that great quality time with them every day. My son has a circle, but many have girlfriends or have went home, so not so much. His few best close friends are still from the Maytayom days. But it is sad for both of them and I am happy to see them at least be able to go out and do something with their friends. .