News Forum - Bangkok officials to shut down more than 20 illegal landfills in the capital

Thaiger

The Thai government is launching a project to get rid of illegal landfills in Bangkok. The “SHUT DOWN!” project is led by Bangkok’s Natural Resources and Environmental Crime Suppression Division, also known as Greencrop. So far, two of the more than 20 illegal landfills were raided in the operation. A report in Thai media says the dumps were in Bangkok’s Latkrabang district and were run by 49 year old Salai and 41 year old Tawee. They have been charged for turning land into landfills without permission. Salai confessed that she has been opening illegal landfills for two years. She will agree with […]

The story Bangkok officials to shut down more than 20 illegal landfills in the capital as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

As I see it; will only be a good initiative, if options are given to those who want to recycle their trash. And as people already use this 20 landfills, wouldn't it be smarter to regulate them to become modern landfills which follows pro-environmental laws.

Bangkok officials to shut down more than 20 illegal landfills in the capital

And let me guess:

They will  cover it with soil?

Or will they clean them up?

5 hours ago, Ted said:

As I see it; will only be a good initiative, if options are given to those who want to recycle their trash. And as people already use this 20 landfills, wouldn't it be smarter to regulate them to become modern landfills which follows pro-environmental laws.

The problem with that:

A legal landfill would need some water protecting setup, BEFORE they start filling it up!

Since I don't expect the people, who wanna shut 'em down, to CLEAR the ground from all garbage (Who should pay that and where to get with it?), the best to expect would be, they try to prevent that rainwater is flushing through the garbage fill. How high are these landfills laying? Chao Phraya height in monsoon times?