News Forum - Health ministry to propose easing Covid restrictions, in line with other countries

Thaiger

Thailand’s health officials plan to propose the easing of some Covid-19 restrictions in a bid to move away from imposing lockdowns when outbreaks are reported. Opas Karnkawinpong from the Department of Disease Control says other countries are relaxing some curbs and Thailand is ready to follow suit. However, according to a Bangkok Post report, he did not specify what restrictions might be eased. “The global situation of Covid-19 seems to be moving in the same direction. Many countries have started to ease measures despite spikes in daily infections.” It’s understood the government wants to move away from imposing lockdowns during […]

The story Health ministry to propose easing Covid restrictions, in line with other countries as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

What a logical, cool-headed, science-based approach to the trends and data. This is undoubtedly what needs to happen for the world to end the pandemic. Yes, the virus will still be around. But we also live with a bazillion other viruses. At some point, we need to go back to life without masks on. We might not have a specific end date, but we should all be hoping for one. We need to mentally prepare for the day when we can walk around in public without masks on. When we can travel to other countries without quarantine, without a "vaccine passport."

• Like 2

Whatever happened to the next wave called Flurona that was killing everyone in Israel? Did all the variants and subvariants all suddenly disappear also? It's interesting how the "authorities" can seemingly dial up and down a Pandemic from week to week. 

• Like 1

what irritates me in the announcements and in the comments is that unfortunately the 'living with' will not be the 'living before'. that the decision-makers do not have a list of actions according to 4 or 5 epidemic indicators, it is still management 'on sight'. another virus will arrive and we will always have to act late. You have to see the lack of anticipation for Omicron in the US and in Europe. the closure of a country can be an effective prophylactic measure: avoiding you, delaying you so that the logistics are in place. Not only for waiting...

Edited by vvdb.fr
English

8 hours ago, Jason said:

This seems to be the sensible move...time will tell.....

If its sensible i expect it to go in the bin.......

• Haha 4

All this talk of the world is opening up and reducing restrictions.

It is not a world phenomena, it is based on which countries have 'fully' vaccinated their citizens, here in the Uk we have opened as a large number have had three vaccinations.

I don't think Thailand should open up as it is far behind in the vaccine 'game'.

To late eat my ovidcay permsay you crippled your people you wear useless masks you have useless social distancing everything has been for nothing except to appease the ultra elite your so blind ding dongs now I know how Hitler and polpot did what they did foolish monkeys

8 minutes ago, Buzzkill said:

To late eat my ovidcay permsay you crippled your people you wear useless masks you have useless social distancing everything has been for nothing except to appease the ultra elite your so blind ding dongs now I know how Hitler and polpot did what they did foolish monkeys

Hooray!! Godwin was right!! 😅

• Haha 1
  • Cool 1

On 2/7/2022 at 3:00 AM, Thaiger said:

Thailand’s health officials plan to propose the easing of some Covid-19 restrictions in a bid to move away from imposing lockdowns when outbreaks are reported. Opas Karnkawinpong from the Department of Disease Control says other countries are relaxing some curbs and Thailand is ready to follow suit. However, according to a Bangkok Post report, he did not specify what restrictions might be eased. “The global situation of Covid-19 seems to be moving in the same direction. Many countries have started to ease measures despite spikes in daily infections.” It’s understood the government wants to move away from imposing lockdowns during […]

The story Health ministry to propose easing Covid restrictions, in line with other countries as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

The numbers of new infections in Thailand are a fraction of those in Western Europe and yet those countries are lifting restrictions or plan to do so very soon. Why? Because they realize that not the numbers of infections is what they shall worry about, but rather their impact in the health system, the death rate etc. Omikron is much more contagious than Delta, but at the same time it is much less deadly too. So what was (maybe) right when Delta prevailed doesn't make much sense now anymore. But seemingly the Thai authorities take a very different view as they just announced contemplating to cancel Songkhran should there be more than 30'000 daily infections. I only hope that somehow someone responsible in the government finally understands that the policies in place right now are a step back rather than moving the country ahead.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Fundok said:

The numbers of new infections in Thailand are a fraction of those in Western Europe and yet those countries are lifting restrictions or plan to do so very soon. Why? Because they realize that not the numbers of infections is what they shall worry about, but rather their impact in the health system, the death rate etc. Omikron is much more contagious than Delta, but at the same time it is much less deadly too. So what was (maybe) right when Delta prevailed doesn't make much sense now anymore. But seemingly the Thai authorities take a very different view as they just announced contemplating to cancel Songkhran should there be more than 30'000 daily infections. I only hope that somehow someone responsible in the government finally understands that the policies in place right now are a step back rather than moving the country ahead.

I would correct your first sentence and say the number of new infections found in Thailand are a fraction of that in Western Europe.........

You can not find cases without first testing for them.

Plus we can open up here as most of us (UK) have had three jabs now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JamesR said:

I would correct your first sentence and say the number of new infections found in Thailand are a fraction of that in Western Europe.........

You can not find cases without first testing for them.

Plus we can open up here as most of us (UK) have had three jabs now.

I find myself corrected, yes, you are of course correct, one can only count what has been tested. From what I hear, also Germany and Switzerland have difficulties to keep the high level of testing up as labs come to their limits, so I suspect there is also a substantial number of infected people not included in the count.

22 hours ago, Fundok said:

I find myself corrected, yes, you are of course correct, one can only count what has been tested. From what I hear, also Germany and Switzerland have difficulties to keep the high level of testing up as labs come to their limits, so I suspect there is also a substantial number of infected people not included in the count.

Maybe but still a lot more accurate than the Thai figures published. 

Let's put it this way: Switzerland numbers are trustworthy and reliable.

Germany is trying hard, but has some difficulties getting their act together. But I would rule out that there is any malintention or political agenda behind any errorneousy falsely reported test numbers.

With the numbers reported for Thailand, I am much less confident.

34 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Maybe but still a lot more accurate than the Thai figures published. 

Not everyone agrees. It's what's counted. Positive antigen tests vsc PCR-TEST.  Also the sensitivity to include or exclude false positives. Some results can't be compared.