News Forum - Officials will install traffic lights and surveillance cameras at 100 Bangkok crossings

Thaiger

In the aftermath of a fatal accident where a motorbike hit and killed a pedestrian, Bangkok officials plan to install traffic lights and surveillance cameras at 100 zebra crossings. The lights will be installed in two weeks, and the cameras in a month. Out of the city’s 3,280 zebra crossings, only 1,277 have flashing lights warning drivers to slow down before they reach the crossing. Only 226 have push-to-walk buttons, and only 430 are painted red. Bangkok’s deputy governor said workers are improving cross walks by making more space for people to cross, and painting them so that people will […]

The story Officials will install traffic lights and surveillance cameras at 100 Bangkok crossings as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

After which, the cameras will work for approximately two months, even though nobody is monitoring them. Then, after breaking, they will be nice places for pigeons to built their nests.

• Like 1

Police in Pattaya need their motorcycles and trucks taken away and told to walk a beat.

No chairs allowed either

Ludicrous how they sit on corners (walking street e.g.) all day looking at their cell phones when there is no action at all in that area.  Might as well deputise the motocycle "taxis" who sit all day on the same corners across from closed hotels and businesses

Also several are seen daily sitting inside a bar at Soi 12 and Second road looking at cell phones

• Like 1

There's a ton of things to bring up about this - but even if it all works perfectly you still have the issue of traffic being allowed to turn left on red. This is a real problem for pedestrians. There's never a safe time to cross when you're near such a crossing.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lowseasonlover said:

After the event as always in Thailand 

That's usually how the world works.  Bad things happen and govts and organizations respond to try and make sure it doesn't happen again.  But keep whining.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Saunk said:

That's usually how the world works.  Bad things happen and govts and organizations respond to try and make sure it doesn't happen again.  But keep whining.

Especially in Thailand.

Throughout my 23yrs of living and holidaying in Thailand I've had this conversation with the natives too many time to mention..

Me  - "You do know that Thailand has the highest rate of deaths from road accidents in the world" 

Native - "Hooray Thailand number 1"  ....accompanied by raptures yelps and applause !

You can't teach STUPID ..

15 hours ago, cherryripe64 said:

Throughout my 23yrs of living and holidaying in Thailand I've had this conversation with the natives too many time to mention..

Me  - "You do know that Thailand has the highest rate of deaths from road accidents in the world" 

Native - "Hooray Thailand number 1"  ....accompanied by raptures yelps and applause !

You can't teach STUPID ..

Things will never change....just a waste of $$$

• Like 1