News Forum - Thailand News Today | Tourism sector frustrated over reopening policies

Thaiger

Thailand’s Test & Go entry scheme re-opens for registration today and has been given a cautious welcome by tourism operators. Businesses are unsure about the additional rules of Test & Go “Version 2”, including the requirement for an additional PCR test on day 5, which involves a second mandatory hotel stay until a negative result is obtained. This is despite the fact that on days 2 to 4, travelers are free to wander where they like after receiving a negative result on day 1. The tourism sector has expressed frustration at the number of steps operators have to go through […]

The story Thailand News Today | Tourism sector frustrated over reopening policies as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

This govt must watch PI. They have a better way of attracting tourists!

Granted if one has strong ties here and    or they want to stay over a month, come . But to come on a 3 week vacation is making it easier to fall victim to This govt covid revenue rape schemes.

• Like 4
  • Cool 1

16 minutes ago, riclag said:

This govt must watch PI. They have a better way of attracting tourists!

As does most everyone at this point. Quarantine kills tourism.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

Amazing Thailand, what a load of rubbish. 

When I was in the RAF, we had a saying which was  KISS! Meaning: KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID. 

They need to look at the other countries in the region.

• Like 4
  • Cool 1

you would had hoped the current government,could have got things right in the end,but not the case,no wonder business is at a historic low and most are now desperate

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

"According to CCSA spokesman, ทวีศิลป์ วิษณุโยธิน, the Prime Minister wants around 20 million kits a month distributed across the country, allowing people easier access to proof of being infected."

Strange school of thought. Typically, the desired test result is "negative" and not "positive". But then, this is Thailand, who am I to wonder?

Edited by Fundok
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 1

39 minutes ago, Cabra said:

Agreed Cabra but the Thai Government take it to scamming levels. Chan-o-cha and his flunkies have the 'I'm alright Jack' attitude. The average Thai simply trying to make a living and keep their heads above water are an irrelevance to the Kingdom of Thailand's Government. I just wonder what the late Monarch, King Bhumibol would make of this?

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Meeee said:

So on days 2 to 4 you can pick up covid in Thailand, then get banged up in a covid prison at your own expense. Does not seem very appealing. 

It's very appealing to the Govt when they are fleecing you.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Meeee said:

So on days 2 to 4 you can pick up covid in Thailand, then get banged up in a covid prison at your own expense. Does not seem very appealing. 

Not the most appealing of vacation prospects, @Meeee, that's for sure! And your debut post, too, so thanks for that and welcome to Thaiger Talk!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Fundok said:

"According to CCSA spokesman, ทวีศิลป์ วิษณุโยธิน, the Prime Minister wants around 20 million kits a month distributed across the country, allowing people easier access to proof of being infected."

Strange school of thought. Typically, the desired test result is "negative" and not "positive". But then, this is Thailand, who am I to wonder?

Valid point, @Fundok, " . . . . allowing people easier access to proof of being infected" just about says it all re this govt's entire approach to the pandemic, seemingly accepting more infections, with the inevitable illness and deaths that would accompany that, rather than accelerating their vaccination programme, which they know would lead to fewer infections. A strange CCSA statement, for sure!

• Thanks 1

Gov must make the 2nd test at day 5 simple. Like self pcr test at mandatory place with no connection to the hotels.... just proof of payment for the test should be good for the thai-pass...

Is anyone commenting concerned with safety. There’s still a lot of covid around and it’s foolish to ignore the risks. I assume the comments are from short term tourist who have limited time and might be risk takers. The day 1 and day 5 are for your own good as well as to protect the Thai people. Perhaps waiting for normality to return might be a better option for complainers.

The previous requirements we 10 days in quarantine.

• Haha 1

Myself and friends have canceled our trips to Thailand.  Not getting caught up in money grab schemes - well, more than what’s normal 555.   Boracay here we come ! 

• Like 1

More confusing than before. With this latest Test n Go scheme, a Thai National  must now have a PCR test 72 hours before flight departure.  This is an additional $200 cost for a Thai national.  So why a requirement for 2 more PCR tests upon arrival in Thailand? But . . . If you choose AQ scheme there is no 72 hour PCR test needed. ?????

• Like 1

Absolutely, it's frustrating nobody will come to Thailand especially on a 2-week holiday or a month if lucky. Too many hoops have to go through plus another B25K-B30K extra expenses in case of a false positive on either Day 1 or Day 5. It's all Anutin's fault.

• Like 1

It's a question of risk vs reward. We all want to come back to Thailand, but the test and go version 2.0 is still too risky for us two week millionaires. I can take up to three weeks off at at time, and was planning to finally get back to Thailand this April. However if I test positive, my vacation and all it's cost are wasted. I'm better off going to Europe as much of it's opening with no testing required. Heck even the Philippines is now in play. At this point, Thailand will just have to wait. 

• Like 2

Wouldn't the sand box be a better alternative? I mean if they won't totally discard quarantine on arrival in the country. Then I would prefer the sand box option. At least you stay in the one place for five days, complete your tests and have the freedom to move around. Maybe Iam wrong.....I am just so confused!

43 minutes ago, Sandbar said:

Wouldn't the sand box be a better alternative? I mean if they won't totally discard quarantine on arrival in the country. Then I would prefer the sand box option. At least you stay in the one place for five days, complete your tests and have the freedom to move around. Maybe Iam wrong.....I am just so confused!

They have 5 day packages, well some hotels do.....

Its like an experiment on how ridiculous they can make the rules at this point.   Free to travel from day 2- 4 but need to retest on day 5 and stay isolated as the results come in.  I wish they would live stream the meetings where these rules are thought up, id push through a few youtube adds to see it.  

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Meeee said:

Face it. If you have covid you shouldn't be out in public. If you test positive on day 5 you need isolation and treatment not spreading it to others.

13 hours ago, Cabra said:

Quarantine is good especially for the positive travelers.

15 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Face it. If you have covid you shouldn't be out in public. If you test positive on day 5 you need isolation and treatment not spreading it to others.

Then why not test day 10 also? They could have caught covid on day 2-4 while out in public. Or are we supposed to pretend that there isn't any covid in Thailand?

Edited by DoUKnowWhoIAm