News Forum - Spotify vs Neil Young: Spotify win round one, facts come second

Thaiger

Spotify have started to respond and offer commentary to the swirling debate over comedian Joe Rogan’s podcasts on their platform. Firstly it was musician Neil Young, then Joni Mitchell, who said they were taking their music off Spotify in protest to misinformation spread about Covid-19 by the Joe Rogan Experience. Now they’re being joined by other podcasters and musicians complaining that the popular Rogan podcast is spreading “misleading and inaccurate claims” about vaccines and Covid-19. Spotify has responded by saying that it’s now adding a content advisory to any podcast episode that includes discussion about Covid-19. The advisory will now […]

The story Spotify vs Neil Young: Spotify win round one, facts come second as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

After seeing Young and Mitchell, who were famous as anti-establishment figures ( i would offer his songs Ohio and Rocking in the Free World and Big Yellow Taxi for Mitchell as evidence of this rather than post a link to media as required by forum rules for every statement made) back in the 60s become anti-freedom pro censorship activists now i had an amusing thought. How long will it take until some clever journalist discovers Ms Mitchell has in her 401k or stock portfolio a company producing aggregates and paving materials? IE will the writer of 60s hit Big Yellow Taxi which was railing for nature and against construction be discovered to be "paving paradise" and putting up "parking lots" herself? I'll bet she is.

I hope spotify do not give an inch to these fascists. It will be their undoing if they cave in to this dreadful mob. Note, even the renowned liars Harry and Megs(who are famous now for lying in the Oprah interview with such debunked claims as they were married 3 days before in secret) are moaning about Spotify and misinformation. You couldn't make this stuff up! - supporting link to H&M being renowned liars

https://english.alarabiya.net/News/world/2021/03/31/Archbishop-of-Canterbury-denies-claim-that-Harry-Meghan-were-married-early-#:~:text=minute-,Archbishop of Canterbury denies claim that Harry%2C Meghan were married,in an Italian newspaper Wednesday.  

Edited by TopDeadSenter
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Been a big fan of Neil Young for a long time, seen him many times. I think the man, like his music or not, has integrity and I would be very surprised if he had any unethical skeletons in the cupboard. I admire his stand and he can obviously afford it, which many musicians can't.

My favourite Neil 'protest' song is this one, it's a little less serious and is also a little amusing. Well I like it anyway.

Interestingly I see on my Spotify the vast majority of his catalogue is gone, but not everything so I assume many of his works are on a different contractual basis.

C'mon get up and dance you know you want to! 😀. Nobody's watching.

Edited by Saltire

9 minutes ago, RicFlair said:

Check out Joe Rogan’s response before everyone bans him. Solid guy and common sense person.
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CZYQ_nDJi6G/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

The media really takes things out of context. So much for rockin' in the free world. These days, you can't have conversations with people who have opinions that differ from the narratives promoted in mainstream media. You'll be attacked as spreading misinformation. So sad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Some people have taken pure bullshit and turned it into gold."

This is an accurate description of the mainstream media's role in this debacle. Pumping fear in exchange for ad impressions. Pure bullshit, turned into gold.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, LandOfSmiles said:

The media really takes things out of context. So much for rockin' in the free world. These days, you can't have conversations with people who have opinions that differ from the narratives promoted in mainstream media. You'll be attacked as spreading misinformation. So sad.

1) We're adding some of Mr Rogan's response which has come to light since we wrote the article.

2) No one has (or shouldn't have) a problem with Mr. Rogan interviewing any one he wants. But, if he does, he has the responsibility to challenge bold claims made about scientific or medical issues - from any side.

3) The 'media' is an extremely broad church, these days including wildly dissenting views. To lump any publishers you disagree with as "The media really takes things out of context" is incorrect. May I suggest there is a very large proportion of 'media', including The Thaiger in its own tiny way, who try to publish stories of interest to our readers, and viewers, as accurately as possible, without spin or exaggeration. Sometimes we even like to give you a giggle or two, or publish an opinion to make you think.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, brian60221 said:

"Some people have taken pure bullshit and turned it into gold."

This is an accurate description of the mainstream media's role in this debacle. Pumping fear in exchange for ad impressions. Pure bullshit, turned into gold.

This is really funny and sadly kind of true.

1 hour ago, TopDeadSenter said:

become anti-freedom pro censorship activists now

Huh? Spotify had the freedom to tell Neil to pound sand, and they did. Neil and Joni were free to have their music removed if the wished. Spotify is a privately held company that chooses to have Joe Rogan's stupidity on their platform. Great, freedom. Who is censoring anyone. This is how the market works.

I will not buy any products that advertise during the Beijing Genocide Olympics, but I don't want people banned from advertising. Freedom for me, freedom for them. (Of course the CCP doesn't like any of this pesky freedom.)

• Like 1

What a thoughtful reply. Thanks for taking notice and adding Joe's thoughts on the matter. It's his podcast after all. I would bet my hat that most of the people attacking him haven't listed to the full podcast episodes, which are around 3 hours long. So glad they're still on Spotify. Really hope Neil Young can be a little more open minded as well. It's sad to see him following social media cancel culture. He probably reads The Atlantic.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TimothyN said:

1) We're adding some of Mr Rogan's response which has come to light since we wrote the article.

2) No one has (or shouldn't have) a problem with Mr. Rogan interviewing any one he wants. But, if he does, he has the responsibility to challenge bold claims made about scientific or medical issues - from any side.

3) The 'media' is an extremely broad church, these days including wildly dissenting views. To lump any publishers you disagree with as "The media really takes things out of context" is incorrect. May I suggest there is a very large proportion of 'media', including The Thaiger in its own tiny way, who try to publish stories of interest to our readers, and viewers, as accurately as possible, without spin or exaggeration. Sometimes we even like to give you a giggle or two, or publish an opinion to make you think.

What a thoughtful reply. Thanks for taking notice and adding Joe's thoughts on the matter. It's his podcast after all. I would bet my hat that most of the people attacking him haven't listed to the full podcast episodes, which are around 3 hours long. So glad they're still on Spotify. Really hope Neil Young can be a little more open minded as well. It's sad to see him following social media cancel culture. He probably reads The Atlantic.

I love the choice of the Thaiger for the picture at the top of the article, giving us clearly a clue on which site TheThaiger is (no objectivity??): a Young looking angry but standing straight and proud for it, a Rogan looking down in a very suspicious way. I can almost feel the person (or people) searching for pics that will give exactly that impression. Well done.

I have discovered Rogan only recently and I do not get what is all the fuss about...or I am worried that I have understood. Freedom of speech? Counter attack from the mainstream media cause he has more audience (and money)? I found for example the interview of Edward Snowden very interesting, the podcast with Snoop Dog quite amusing.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, stevenkongju said:

Huh? Spotify had the freedom to tell Neil to pound sand, and they did. Neil and Joni were free to have their music removed if the wished. Spotify is a privately held company that chooses to have Joe Rogan's stupidity on their platform. Great, freedom. Who is censoring anyone. This is how the market works.

I will not buy any products that advertise during the Beijing Genocide Olympics, but I don't want people banned from advertising. Freedom for me, freedom for them. (Of course the CCP doesn't like any of this pesky freedom.)

"Who is censoring anyone"

Neil Young and Joni Mitchell(and their supporters who fr some reason seem predominantly from one side of the political aisle) are trying to force censorship of Joe Rogan, and indeed anyone that dares to question the establishment narrative on Covid.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Neil Young and Joni Mitchell(and their supporters who fr some reason seem predominantly from one side of the political aisle) are trying to force censorship of Joe Rogan, and indeed anyone that dares to question the establishment narrative on Covid.

Do you understand what censorship is? Are you telling me that Neil Young MUST provide his music to Spotify? That seems a bit authoritarian of you. Choices, my friend. Trade offs. You don't get everything YOU want. Other people get to have a say. 

That being said, there is no government penalty whatsoever if Spotify wants to have Cletus McIvermecton preach his nutty theories. 

2 hours ago, Manu said:

I love the choice of the Thaiger for the picture at the top of the article, giving us clearly a clue on which site TheThaiger is (no objectivity??): a Young looking angry but standing straight and proud for it, a Rogan looking down in a very suspicious way. I can almost feel the person (or people) searching for pics that will give exactly that impression. Well done.

I have discovered Rogan only recently and I do not get what is all the fuss about...or I am worried that I have understood. Freedom of speech? Counter attack from the mainstream media cause he has more audience (and money)? I found for example the interview of Edward Snowden very interesting, the podcast with Snoop Dog quite amusing.

Ha ha. You're reading WAY too much into the selection of photo. We actually thought they were good photos of both. Maybe you could concoct some even sillier theory about Joe being on the left and Neil on the right. Or Joe has a mic and a voice, and Neil has had his voice removed. Sure you can come up with another but, really, I wouldn't waste your time. 

• Like 1

Much ado about nothing.....it's worth remembering that sites like this rely on content to make interest....no content...no interest....

• Like 2

Ah I get it...Niel Young has become an authority on covid whereby the views of experts who engage daily in the science of covid are just disinformation. To clear the air, I wish Fauci and CDC's Walenski would accept the other experts' invitation to discuss the science.

We have been living in a surreal society for decades in which things we see in the public arena, might just be diversions. They who control the media control the public mindset. The world has never seen contradictions like today.

I condemn no one for their views because it's just a product of the channels they watch. None of us did the hands-on investigation ourselves.

In the end....to each his own. As for me, I keep a wary eye on the parties that stand to profit monetarily because today's players have gone insane chasing after money.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ShibaBud said:

Ah I get it...Niel Young has become an authority on covid whereby the views of experts who engage daily in the science of covid are just disinformation. To clear the air, I wish Fauci and CDC's Walenski would accept the other experts' invitation to discuss the science.

We have been living in a surreal society for decades in which things we see in the public arena, might just be diversions. They who control the media control the public mindset. The world has never seen contradictions like today.

I condemn no one for their views because it's just a product of the channels they watch. None of us did the hands-on investigation ourselves.

In the end....to each his own. As for me, I keep a wary eye on the parties that stand to profit monetarily because today's players have gone insane chasing after money.

Well said. 

Unfortunately those who have control over the narrative are not going to relinquish their stranglehold over that ridiculous one sided, non scientific narrative that is approved by the media and their leftist handlers. 

personally, liking the music of Neil Young and also a fan of the outspoken Joe Rogan, I do have my "records" of Neil and stored some of the good podcasts of Joe. I couldn't care less if spotify dumps either one of them/leave spotify by themselves or if people offer opinions about the matter. Life is the same whatever happens to this storm in a cup. 

3 hours ago, ShibaBud said:

They who control the media control the public mindset. The world has never seen contradictions like today......  As for me, I keep a wary eye on the parties that stand to profit monetarily because today's players have gone insane chasing after money.

LOL, Religions have been controlling the public mindset for centuries way before mainstream media.  

Nothing new, just now anyone can get a youtube channel or start a podcast to spout inane beliefs for profit.

Edited by ExpatPattaya

3 hours ago, Transam said:

Perhaps Neil has been listening to the experts, then listening to the non experts, then listening to the expert's trashing of the non experts and made a stance on the non experts broadcasting misinformation that may cause loss of life.

I take my hat off to the bloke and others that take his lead...👏

Josh Rogan is stirring for the big cash payout, in my opinion...😋 

Only because he's a wannabee

Oh dear, another narrative crumbles.

Neil Young has now been outed as an anti science and biotech conspiracy theorist himself who has pushed misinformation. I predicated what was it, yesterday? that these guys would be exposed as hypocrites. Suffice to say my eyebrows are raised like Mrs Pelosi's at this revelation. Yikes!!

"This is the same Neil Young who in 2015 released an entire album, The Monsanto Years, that’s wall-to-wall songs from an anti-biotechnology point of view.

Young’s anti-GMO rhetoric helped fuel a narrative that made it easy to spread fear and distrust about COVID vaccines, most of which used novel biotechnology methods and some of which use genetic engineering."

https://www.thedailybeast.com/neil-youngs-long-record-of-spreading-scientific-misinformation

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Oh dear, another narrative crumbles.

Neil Young has now been outed as an anti science and biotech conspiracy theorist himself who has pushed misinformation. I predicated what was it, yesterday? that these guys would be exposed as hypocrites. Suffice to say my eyebrows are raised like Mrs Pelosi's at this revelation. Yikes!!

"This is the same Neil Young who in 2015 released an entire album, The Monsanto Years, that’s wall-to-wall songs from an anti-biotechnology point of view.

Young’s anti-GMO rhetoric helped fuel a narrative that made it easy to spread fear and distrust about COVID vaccines, most of which used novel biotechnology methods and some of which use genetic engineering."

https://www.thedailybeast.com/neil-youngs-long-record-of-spreading-scientific-misinformation

So wouldn't that make him an "expert" on misinformation and hence one who can easily spot when another is doing the same. 😀

• Haha 1