News Forum - Philippines reopens Feb 10 for the vaccinated from most countries

Thaiger

20 hours ago, Stonker said:

In my view, too, @Fundok, but unfortunately that isn't possible so instead we have to deal with reality.

There aren't sufficient vaccines available to "accelerate" things, so those who had 2 x Pfizer or Moderna have a 6 month wait and those who had anything else have to wait three months.

The Moderna due this month from the THG hasn't arrived yet, at least in my provincial private hospital, so that's not an option yet either.

The problem would be solved if 60 million new Pfizer doses arrived this week, but unfortunately only 30 million are due this year.

I've not seen anything quite that optimistic, so I'd be interested to see that study.

Regarding the 99%: I quoted the German Minister of Health Karl Lauterbach, who himself is a PHD and epidemologist. Regarding the acceleration of the vaccination in Thailand: I admittedly have no indepth knowledge of the current situation with respect to the availability of vaccines in the Kingdom is. So obviously there are some shortages which is not good. Over here in Switzerland and neighboring Austria and Germany there is enough vaccine available now. Our problem, hard to believe, are people who do not want to get vaccinated for various reasons, i e. that they still think that there is not yet sufficient data to prove that the vaccination will not do any harm. Sure, every vaccination can potentially also be harmful, but after probably 1 bn+ vaccinations having been worldwide I think by now we would know if there had been substantial side effects. For me, the benefit of being orotected by far outweighs the risk of a possible side effect.

I hope you'll be successful in getting fully vaccinated, that means for me those two shots plus the booster in your province a.s.a.p.. 

2 hours ago, Stonker said:

I've not been to the Philippines so can't comment from personal experience, but from what I gather if all someone wants on holiday is cheap nightlife, seedy bars, and willing Asian girls and boys looking for a hansum man then they'll probably find that as easily in the Philippines as they can in Thailand.

Beyond that, there's probably as much similarity between the two as there is between Nepal and Bhutan or France and Germany - just because they're in the same region doesn't make them a similar holiday destination.

“Perhaps you should read what I wrote more carefully”.

Have explained some key differences from personal experience which you have ignored, stated the opposite & deflected into irrelevant & inaccurate Country comparison comments. 

Phil has little in common with Thailand apart from being tropical and corrupt.

Food is literally rubbish too….. spoken English is childish subservient Americanized gibberish which they believe  is “ fluent”. “ sir” always annoyingly used a lot……

Had a long term gem Phil gf but couldn’t stand visiting the grubby place …and she needed an Exit Visa to leave the country ……imported her for visits here. 

46 minutes ago, Fundok said:

Regarding the 99%: I quoted the German Minister of Health Karl Lauterbach, who himself is a PHD and epidemologist. Regarding the acceleration of the vaccination in Thailand: I admittedly have no indepth knowledge of the current situation with respect to the availability of vaccines in the Kingdom is. So obviously there are some shortages which is not good. Over here in Switzerland and neighboring Austria and Germany there is enough vaccine available now. Our problem, hard to believe, are people who do not want to get vaccinated for various reasons, i e. that they still think that there is not yet sufficient data to prove that the vaccination will not do any harm. Sure, every vaccination can potentially also be harmful, but after probably 1 bn+ vaccinations having been worldwide I think by now we would know if there had been substantial side effects. For me, the benefit of being orotected by far outweighs the risk of a possible side effect.

I hope you'll be successful in getting fully vaccinated, that means for me those two shots plus the booster in your province a.s.a.p.. 

all completed myself in Phuket govt. hospitals six weeks ago with western vax. Clearly Phuket prioritized over all other areas. Sandbox thinking I suppose.

22 hours ago, Stonker said:

As long as they don't die of it first, and they learn to live with Long Covid and the 'brain fog', I'm sure you're right.

Which affects 0.1%. humans get sick injured & die of all sorts. Do we cower in behind useless  mask gesturing endlessly ? UK leads the way again with correct  “ learning to live with it” approach. 

1 hour ago, Fundok said:

My elder brother lives in Germany and he's had four doses of Moderna, with the third and fourth doses together as I understand it (he's immunocompromised having had his spleen and gall bladder removed) and apparently the reluctance is mainly in the former East Germany. 

I think your minister's pushing it a bit at "99%", but as I couldn't find it, it depends to some extent on context and caveats.

Here, it's simply a waiting process which is the same Thailand-wide.

5 minutes ago, Stonker said:

My elder brother lives in Germany and he's had four doses of Moderna, with the third and fourth doses together as I understand it (he's immunocompromised having had his spleen and gall bladder removed) and apparently the reluctance is mainly in the former East Germany. 

I think your minister's pushing it a bit at "99%", but as I couldn't find it, it depends to some extent on context and caveats.

Here, it's simply a waiting process which is the same Thailand-wide.

To the best of my knowledge, Germany is currently just doing up to three doses - four or even five doses are unheard of.

Here is the link to the quote (in German, I'm afraid):

https://www.zdf.de/nachrichten/politik/corona-lage-lauterbach-wieler-100.html

55 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

all completed myself in Phuket govt. hospitals six weeks ago with western vax. Clearly Phuket prioritized over all other areas. Sandbox thinking I suppose.

No, the availability and eligibility for boosters is the same country-wide, in all provinces.

IIRC you had 1 x AZ (probably Thai made, not "western") and 1 x Pfizer or Moderna followed three months later by a Pfizer or Moderna booster.

Had you had 2 x Pfizer or Moderna you'd have had a six month wait for a Pfizer or Moderna booster and you'd have another six weeks to wait.

1 hour ago, oldschooler said:

Have explained some key differences from personal experience which you have ignored, stated the opposite & deflected into irrelevant & inaccurate Country comparison comments. 

No idea what brought that on - I was actually agreeing with everything you said on the Philippines 😂!

10 minutes ago, Fundok said:

To the best of my knowledge, Germany is currently just doing up to three doses - four or even five doses are unheard of.

Here is the link to the quote (in German, I'm afraid):

https://www.zdf.de/nachrichten/politik/corona-lage-lauterbach-wieler-100.html

Thanks for that - I wasn't doubting you, I simply couldn't find it.

Agreed, that's a pretty unqualified and unambiguous "99%" but I still think he's pushing it as even the manufacturers aren't quite that optimistic.

As I said, my elder  brother's immunocompromised which is why he had four - he went for the normal third / booster of Moderna but was given a fourth as well because of that - it's certainly not routine or widely available.

1 hour ago, oldschooler said:

Which affects 0.1%. humans get sick injured & die of all sorts. Do we cower in behind useless  mask gesturing endlessly ? UK leads the way again with correct  “ learning to live with it” approach. 

Sorry, but that's completely wrong as far more than "0.1%" infected with Covid have brain fog, Long Covid, or die.

The mortality rate alone is between 1 and 2 %, depending on the country ( https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality ).

As for the UK leading the way, the death rate and numbers hospitalised don't really support that (😂) and the mortality rate was twice as high as Germany's with Delta.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Stonker said:

The mortality rate alone is between 1 and 2 %, depending on the country ( https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality ).

Yes, but that’s assuming that all reported cases represent ALL cases. Do they? 

27 minutes ago, Stonker said:

As for the UK leading the way, the death rate and numbers hospitalised don't really support that (😂)

@oldschoolerwas not referring to the UK leading the way in death rate and numbers, Stonker. He was referring to the UK’s approach to learning to live with it, and it was a valid point.

Once again, you’re making footloose and fancy-free assertions in quoting people out of context. 

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Yes, but that’s assuming that all reported cases represent ALL cases. Do they? 

Who knows?

It's also assuming that all reported Covid deaths represent "ALL" Covid deaths.

Since far from everyone, everywhere, dead or alive, is tested for Covid it's impossible to say but the most accurate figures are likely to be those from the same source such as the link I gave.

If you have a better link to a better source then please give it but, "once again" I don't think that's likely.

9 minutes ago, Stonker said:

If you have a better link to a better source then please give it but, "once again" I don't think that's likely.

It’s not all about links to prove your point. Anyone knows that there untold numbers of unreported and undetected cases. Anyone who disagrees with this and believes that official reported numbers are accurate, your comments are welcome.

I note Stonker that you have ignored my comment on your out of context quoting. Or is it yet another case of “oh no that’s not what I was saying”?

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

oldschoolerwas not referring to the UK leading the way in death rate and numbers, Stonker. He was referring to the UK’s approach to learning to live with it, and it was a valid point.

That's your opinion, which you're fully entitled to.

I disagree, for the reasons I gave him - that in my view the UK's death rate and rate of hospitalisations, neither of which show any sign of declining, clearly indicate that the UK doesn't "lead the way again with correct  “ learning to live with it” approach".

If the number of hospitalisations in the UK remain steady at a rate that means hospital waiting lists remain as long as they are, and the death rate remains unchanged, which are both amongst the worst in the West, then that suggests pretty strongly that the UK's " “ learning to live with it” approach" isn't "correct" and doesn't "lead the way".

43 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Once again, you’re making footloose and fancy-free assertions in quoting people out of context. 

My "footloose and fancy free assertions" are supported by the stats from worldometers, statista, the UKHSA and the UK NOS.

If you have better sources that contradict those, then please name them and give a link.

My reply to @oldschooler was directly in the context of his point, since as I've attempted to explain above the death and hospitalisation rates are direct, very clear evidence that the UK's "“ learning to live with it” approach" is neither correct nor leading the way.

If you can't understand that those numbers tell you whether the UK's approach leads the way and is correct or not, then I'm sorry but I don't know how to explain it to you.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

It’s not all about links to prove your point. Anyone knows that there untold numbers of unreported and undetected cases. Anyone who disagrees with this and believes that official reported numbers are accurate, your comments are welcome.

I note Stonker that you have ignored my comment on your out of context quoting. Or is it yet another case of “oh no that’s not what I was saying?

Answered above (edit: written while you posted).

As for your repeated claim of "oh no that’s not what I was saying", it wasn't correct the first time you said it as I'd simply repeated what I'd said, verbatim, the second (and third) time.

Whatever you're trying to prove, you're really not doing yourself any favours with this.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Stonker said:

My reply to @oldschooler was directly in the context of his point,

Utter nonsense. You know full well what he was saying and you manipulated it to twist it to your own flawed agenda, as is your wont. Classic “that’s what I really meant” argument. 

20 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Whatever you're trying to prove, you're really not doing yourself any favours with this.

The only person not doing themselves any favors here is YOU, with your constant nit-picking, moving of goalposts, redefining of terms, backpedaling and denial.

Anyone who disagrees with me and sees your opinions as the voice of reason, let them step forward here.

Anyone? Hello? Anyone? (NB: that’s the sound of crickets, Stonker).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

oAnyone who disagrees with me and sees your opinions as the voice of reason, let them step forward here.

Anyone? Hello? Anyone? (NB: that’s the sound of crickets, Stonker).

You're serious?

You don't think there's another reason why nobody's telling you you're making a fool of yourself with no help needed from me?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Utter nonsense. You know full well what he was saying and you manipulated it to twist it to your own flawed agenda, as is your wont. Classic “that’s what I really meant” argument

I see no point in a "he said / I said" when the posts are still there.

His point was that the UK's "“ learning to live with it” approach" was "correct" and "leads the way".

Mine was that it wasn't and that "the death rate and numbers hospitalised don't really support that".

Nobody has manipulated anything to twist it to their own flawed agenda except you, repeatedly.

Sorry, but while you may enjoy this p1ssing up the wall contest I see no point in it and you've managed to destroy an otherwise interesting and courteous thread.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stonker said:

I see no point in a "he said / I said" when the posts are still there.

His point was that the UK's "“ learning to live with it” approach" was "correct" and "leads the way".

Mine was that it wasn't and that "the death rate and numbers hospitalised don't really support that".

Wonders never cease on the lengths you will go to Stonker to redefine an argument to avoid looking silly. 

4 minutes ago, Stonker said:

you've managed to destroy an otherwise interesting and courteous thread.

Au contraire, Monsieur. This thread was set on the wrong path the moment you stepped forward to slap down an optimistic, positive comment made by a new member @Burapha with your negative nit-picking nonsense. 

It’s the same as with any other news thread. It’d be great if we could all discuss the news in a civil (normal) way but we have to contend with nonsense, hence the downturn in comments in general. 

I’m still hearing crickets, Stonker, as I await voices in support of your approach. 

I rest my case, let the court of public opinion judge you. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Only desperate tourists will visit Thailand with their test-and-go-and-test-and-go(to a hospital). Thinking, researching and buying their compulsory and expensive insurance and approved hotel reservations. And traveling between the testing place and hotel and your Thailand location. 5 days of stress whether your tests will be negative. Otherwise, be prepared for more costs and problems. And never sure if the immigration at airport states that my insurance / booking is not what it should be.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 2:49 PM, Burapha said:

I agree 100%, take note or potentially lose a lot of tourists.

To the Philippines? No thanks, once bitten etc.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Food is literally rubbish too….. spoken English is childish subservient Americanized gibberish which they believe  is “ fluent”. “ sir” always annoyingly used a lot……

Had a long term gem Phil gf but couldn’t stand visiting the grubby place …and she needed an Exit Visa to leave the country ……imported her for visits here. 

Grubby is an understatement.

• Like 2