News Forum - Agencies partner to start cleaning 2,400 km of cables February 15

Thaiger

Could an end be in sight for Thailand’s infamously snarled mass of electric and communication cables overhead? The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission has set a goal this year of cleaning up 2,000 kilometres worth of cables in the provinces of Thailand, plus another 400 kilometres just in Bangkok alone. The Cabinet had previously set this ambitious cleanup goal last year on November 23, and the NBTC met last week to agree to accomplish the task. The project will pull together multiple agencies spearheaded by the NBTC to coordinate together to cover the work and the costs of clearing the […]

The story Agencies partner to start cleaning 2,400 km of cables February 15 as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Could an end be in sight for Thailand’s infamously snarled mass of electric and communication cables overhead? The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission has set a goal this year of cleaning up 2,000 kilometres worth of cables in the provinces of Thailand, plus another 400 kilometres just in Bangkok alone. The Cabinet had previously set this ambitious cleanup goal last year on November 23, and the NBTC met last week to agree to accomplish the task. The project will pull together multiple agencies spearheaded by the NBTC to coordinate together to cover the work and the costs of clearing the […]

The story Agencies partner to start cleaning 2,400 km of cables February 15 as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Amazing Thailand! 

In another hypothetical city region - maybe like one I live in - they're burying cables to reduce fire risks. 

Hopefully this reduces fire risks as well. 

4 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Read the full story

I think this may be a record for the Thaiger comments section for how quickly it gets off topic. Only took two comments for the topic of racism to get mixed into a story about powerlines. Congrats gents! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

I think this may be a record for the Thaiger comments section for how quickly it gets off topic. Only took two comments for the topic of racism to get mixed into a story about powerlines. Congrats gents! 

Sorry, Khun @Lawyers_Guns_and_Money

I won't post any more on this topic here. Maybe over in AOD though: 

992814972_maxresdefault(1).thumb.jpg.ec9c0222cf82e25ac7cf0fc22ee57d3b.jpg

I'm strangely fascinated by the cabling in Thailand.   How do the engineers know what cable goes to where and to do what, or for that matter which ones are even live vs abandoned.     I suspect the many above ground cables vs underground has something to do with the frequent flooding in the region.    

I've sat many a time outdoors enjoying a street side food cart meal while staring at the tangled cabling with my mind trying to work it all out.   All considered, there is something very uniquely Bangkok, and in a strange way almost comforting about thousand cables going down a series of sagging weighed down poles.    Or maybe seeing lots of cables just reminds me of some of the delicious food carts I've visited.

8 minutes ago, bvbeyond said:

How do the engineers know what cable goes to where and to do what, or for that matter which ones are even live vs abandoned

I don't think they do. It's probably all guesswork, using the 'knowledge' that loong taught them one weekend.

🤣

8 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The agencies partnered together in 2019 to move 27 kilometres of cables underground and to add 275 kilometres of overhead pipes on 106 roads including 24 in Bangkok. In 2020 they moved another 52 kilometres of cables underground and added overhead pipes for 8 more Bangkok roads covering about 40 kilometres.

I'm interested in the idea of 'overhead pipes' and the point of them, rather than burying the cables underground.
I googled, but so far haven't found any images of said overhead pipes. I don't suppose anyone has any photos?

There must surely be a few pipes, to separate the power cables from the telecom and cable TV/fibre cables.

When these cables need replacing/repairing, how will they be able to access them I wonder, if they're enclosed in overhead pipes?