News Forum - Local farmers accused of setting 100 elephant traps near sanctuary

Thaiger

Officials from the Phu Luang Wildlife Sanctuary in Loei province filed a complaint with police about neighbouring villagers, accusing them of setting more than 100 elephant traps. The neighbours were alleged to have set the traps to protect their farms from elephants eating their crops. The sanctuary officials brought several of the elephant traps with them to the police as evidence. In Thailand, the Wildlife Preservation and Protection Act bans the setting of animal traps with violators found guilty of the offence in court facing fines of up to 1 million baht and up to 10 years in prison. Green […]

The story Local farmers accused of setting 100 elephant traps near sanctuary as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Cool 1

Although I am sympathetic to the elephants, I have read that living with them can be dangerous. 

I would hope the frustration leading to these traps - if this story is true and it's not another excuse for poaching - would lead to more creative containment. 

Otherwise, it's BangKwang!

Lock 'em up! 

Officials say most of the locals have tried to be flexible to live peacefully with the wildlife, but there are still some holdouts.

Instead of being holdouts they have now graduated to lockups.

• Haha 1

thats totaly  very cruel!!!makes me hurt thinking of stepping on something like that.got to be better ways to control elephants. i hope ''no  one uses those spikes. no need to hurt or kill such amazing animal.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Thaiger said:

accusing them of setting more than 100 elephant traps

Having seen the size of mousetraps, is there enough land for 100 elephant traps? You must need at least two tons of cheese.

• Like 1