News Forum - Tourism operators want cost of PCR tests reduced when Test & Go resumes

Thaiger

Following the CCSA’s decision yesterday to resume Test & Go from February 1 (with some changes) tourism operators are urging the government to make PCR testing more affordable. The revamped Test & Go entry scheme now requires overseas arrivals to book a hotel on day 1 and again on day 5 of their stay – and to take a PCR test on each day. They must remain in their hotel room after each test, until they receive a negative result. However, what has many people scratching their heads is the fact that in between both tests, people are free to […]

The story Tourism operators want cost of PCR tests reduced when Test & Go resumes as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nongwuaso said:

The coming back from Thailand is the worry visa over stay . This system is rubbish 

Not if you get someone to help you before you get to that situation, it's my guess the stories you are reading is that people have just turned up at the airport knowing they have overstayed and maybe they thought they would be ok

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Following the CCSA’s decision yesterday to resume Test & Go from February 1 (with some changes) tourism operators are urging the government to make PCR testing more affordable. The revamped Test & Go entry scheme now requires overseas arrivals to book a hotel on day 1 and again on day 5 of their stay – and to take a PCR test on each day. They must remain in their hotel room after each test, until they receive a negative result. However, what has many people scratching their heads is the fact that in between both tests, people are free to […]

The story Tourism operators want cost of PCR tests reduced when Test & Go resumes as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I cant see people putting up with that, 

• Like 2

With the fortune being made by individuals due to the scamming of PCR costs I doubt very much there will be a reduction in the costs, the reduced price they are asking for is still almost 3 times the cost of a test in UAE.

Since when do have people to stay in the Hotel, the day after they went for the second test, till they get the result? That is either totally ignored or brand new.

And if the tourism industry is worried, that this tests are pushing people away: why dont they pay them?

Or ask the government, to let the pcr test price become a part of the ticket price.

Works with the new entry fine, eh, fee, works "since ever" with the exit fee.

• Like 1

I came here last Saturday via the Sandbox, taking the first PCR test at the airport and having the results less than 12 hours later - after that I was free to do as i wished (obviously within the confines of Phuket). Took the day 5 PCR test yesterday morning 11.30 and went about my business as usual. Result came through at 9.40 p.m. yesterday evening.

I was not tied to the hotel or hotel room but I forwarded the test result to the hotel for their records. My sandbox finishes tomorrow morning. I have just made a forward hotel booking for the following week and the key requirement of the hotel (other than payment) was confirmation of Sandbox completion (i.e. the two PCR test results and the Sandbox hotel).

From what i can see having done the Sandbox the only real difference with the proposed and revised T&G is that you have the flexibility to move beyond the original bounds of the Sandbox between tests (something I would have chosen to do even though I happily accepted the constraints of the Sandbox). It strikes me that part of the confusion I have seen people commenting upon is simply down to the name Test and Go, which as it's now intended should instead rightly read Test and Test and Go😖.

That apart, and accepting that most tourists will be put off by repeated testing ( I was not and was happy to comply for the greater good) I do feel bound to say that some of the concerns I have seen about being carted off and locked away seem more than a little wide of the mark, possibly fanciful.

I got a taxi to the Swab Centre in Jungceylon, ramped up - was seen and done two hours in advance of my on-line allotted appointment time - and toddled off to stock up at Big C and taxi back to Phuket Town where as mentioned I went about town as normal. As at the aiport previously all of the testing staff were very organised and helpful; altogether stress free.

The real test, of course comes tomorrow, when i hook up with the boss for the first time in over a year.🥶

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Not if you get someone to help you before you get to that situation, it's my guess the stories you are reading is that people have just turned up at the airport knowing they have overstayed and maybe they thought they would be ok

The fine for an overstay is a financial punishment, it is not a visa extension fee. I think it’s wrong to punish people that were unable to leave because it is not allowed. Sure, people should get a visa extension but who to trust and the whole thing just smacks of opportunism. The Immigration authorities could waive these fines but they don’t. And if you don’t pay the fee you are locked up at 500baht a day off your fine. imo, it’s just not right for overstays caused by Covid. 

• Like 1

Makes perfect sense. Go to a quarantine hotel on day 1, go out get infected, test again.

In fact, I think they should make it mandatory for tourists to get a PCR test every 14 days.

Maybe we can combine it with the TM.47 somehow? 

• Haha 2

The new policy is laughable, sure a few foreigners have escaped. Open it up as before and stop the crazyness. Give yourselves a chance at recovery not that you the gov think of the common people who actually run this country with thier hearts

3 hours ago, Fanta said:

The fine for an overstay is a financial punishment, it is not a visa extension fee. I think it’s wrong to punish people that were unable to leave because it is not allowed. Sure, people should get a visa extension but who to trust and the whole thing just smacks of opportunism. The Immigration authorities could waive these fines but they don’t.

Veering off topic, but if hospitalised then private hospitals will generally assist if they're asked and they're used to doing so and usually have a system in place.

I agree there should be more leeway, but anyone spending a few seconds of their ten days sitting in bed in hospital or confined to a quarantine hotel can find out the requirement very easily.

It's always been the system, which has always been applied - that doesn't make it 'right', but it's hardly "opportunism".

3 hours ago, Fanta said:

And if you don’t pay the fee you are locked up at 500baht a day off your fine.

I'm not sure where you got that from, but I've never heard of it and don't think it's correct.  AFAIK, if you don't pay the fine you're locked up until you do, but you're just not fined an additional 500 baht per day spent in jail. I'd be happy to stand corrected, though, if that's correct.

at Pattaya hospitals PCR test cost 3500 at Memorial and 3800 at Bangkok hospital
to book online before travel

and for most countries and airlines you will need another test before return flight,

so 4 expensive tests for foreigners to travel and add thai insurance too,
welcome to Thailand ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Read the full story

The whole thing seems patently absurd.

First, you can do what you want after your initial test, going wherever you want, then after five days you have to stay in a hotel room you've pre-booked (and paid for) while waiting for your test results ...

... and then, even if you're booked into another hotel or have your own house, you have to move into that other hotel room while waiting for the test results.

It could hardly be less rational ...

... so if you've planned on going to Koh Samui and booked your second hotel stay there for the night, but you're enjoying your stay in Bangkok, you can't stay in Bangkok but have to go to Koh Samui? ..... or you could get yout test done in Bangkok, then go to Koh Samui to wait for the result?

Normally I can see at least some reason behind these things, but this time ... 😥

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stonker said:

The whole thing seems patently absurd.

First, you can do what you want after your initial test, going wherever you want, then after five days you have to stay in a hotel room you've pre-booked (and paid for) while waiting for your test results ...

... and then, even if you're booked into another hotel or have your own house, you have to move into that other hotel room while waiting for the test results.

It could hardly be less rational ...

... so if you've planned on going to Koh Samui and booked your second hotel stay there for the night, but you're enjoying your stay in Bangkok, you can't stay in Bangkok but have to go to Koh Samui? ..... or you could get yout test done in Bangkok, then go to Koh Samui to wait for the result?

Normally I can see at least some reason behind these things, but this time ... 😥

Chinese New Year starts 1st Feb. Logical then to reintroduce Test & Go perhaps 3-4 days before to allow for prior travel  ….. but No, TIT.

12 minutes ago, satpete said:

at Pattaya hospitals PCR test cost 3500 at Memorial and 3800 at Bangkok hospital
to book online before travel

and for most countries and airlines you will need another test before return flight,

so 4 expensive tests for foreigners to travel and add thai insurance too,
welcome to Thailand ?

Yeah, thats around the same price we have to pay here in germany. For me its still finde and not that high amount, but its kind of "stupid" anyway. At least I hope that you can book the test together with the hotel room in a package. Anythingelse wouldnt make sense.

38 minutes ago, ChrisLa91 said:

Yeah, thats around the same price we have to pay here in germany. For me its still finde and not that high amount, but its kind of "stupid" anyway. At least I hope that you can book the test together with the hotel room in a package. Anythingelse wouldnt make sense.

I've just booked a Day 5 hotel and they didn't know anything about giving me a test so maybe it will be like the present set up of going to a government approved location then back to the hotel, yes madness in deed ! 

why even have a second hotel .... ah yes to help the tourism industry out I think 

Edited by gazmo16
added content

At this point it's basically a 5 day sandbox if you fly in to BKK?

Also it hurts the smaller hotels who can not afford to get the SHA+ certifications.

In the original TnG scheme I was looking at 1 night in a SHA+ and then spend the rest of my time there in such a cheaper/more fun place. But with this new scheme I will just book 5 nights in the SHA+ place because screw going on a holiday and then moving hotel twice within 5 days. (within the same city)