News Forum - One million sign call for withdrawal of Amnesty International Thailand’s operating license

Thaiger

Apparently, one million people want to expel Amnesty International from Thailand. The vice minister of the Prime Minister’s office says he’s collected one million signatures in his campaign to withdrawal the non-profit organisation’s operating license. The vice minister, who some call “Rambo Isaan,” accuses the NGO of being a threat to the country. Amnesty International Thailand has been a vocal advocate for human rights during the crackdown on the pro-democracy movement, calling on an end to police violence on protesters and for detained protestors to be released. The vice minister, Seksakol Atthawong, is pushing a bill that will require NGOs to […]

The story One million sign call for withdrawal of Amnesty International Thailand’s operating license as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robsamui said:

"AI" are the people who don't get thrown into jail for speaking out about politics and brutality in Thailand.

Yet, never touch upon the real corrupted politics, brutalities and empire building from the culture [and kin] in which they originate. How convenient, huh?

the country going backward , signed up with the UN humanitarian rights,but no longer accepts international laws in the case of the flour man,yet wants to participate and play a role in the international community ? 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, whitesnake said:

NOT FIT TO GOVERN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Applies to most of the world and their respective heads of state.

1 minute ago, Poolie said:

Oh well, tempus fugit, ta-ta Amnesty. Reduced to barbs thrown from abroad now I guess.

What do they think about Assange?

I bet they're not supporters.....🤫

I'm aware of a recent poll about NGO's and the political motivations behind it (lobbying for the draft act has  been building up for well over a year now). The percentages mentioned seem (<-- lousy memory and too lazy  to double-check now) to match the outcomes of that poll. However, I'm at a complete loss where the 1M (=1.4%) might come from and even if it can be explained I highly doubt a less-than-marginal portion of that specifically targets AI.

An NGO (Non-Governmental Organization) has no "right" to be in any country.

Only by the host country's invitation is it permitted to operate therein.

Many examples of NGOs being "uninvited" from other nations, if any are so inclined to check.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

This is great news. Although these organizations occasionally do good things and are no doubt started with good intentions they are easily subverted into being agents of anyone to criticize whomever they don't like. 

When the US criticizes China on human rights(e.g. Uighers) , China shoots back (justifiably) look at your civil rights, police and human rights record. Human rights accusations are simply ways to attack and delegitimize opponents. No Uighers, to my knowledge have been helped by US criticism, however valid. 

The enemies of Thailand are mixed into the possibly justified critics of Thai policy into a foreign body with no local accountability or transparency.

Who controls Amnesty International? 

Who funds it?

Who decides whether it criticizes Thailand or China? 

I have no idea. 

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, Vince said:

This is great news. Although these organizations occasionally do good things and are no doubt started with good intentions they are easily subverted into being agents of anyone to criticize whomever they don't like. 

When the US criticizes China on human rights(e.g. Uighers) , China shoots back (justifiably) look at your civil rights, police and human rights record. Human rights accusations are simply ways to attack and delegitimize opponents. No Uighers, to my knowledge have been helped by US criticism, however valid. 

The enemies of Thailand are mixed into the possibly justified critics of Thai policy into a foreign body with no local accountability or transparency.

Who controls Amnesty International? 

Who funds it?

Who decides whether it criticizes Thailand or China? 

I have no idea. 

That might be the perfect research project - a deeper and objective dig. 

The answers that you are seeking might be shocking and revealing. 

One will also find that these surface groups are less than saintly and transparent with an attached subjective agenda. 

False and charlatan comes to mind.

5 minutes ago, Rain said:

That might be the perfect research project - a deeper and objective dig. 

The answers that you are seeking might be shocking and revealing. 

One will also find that these surface groups are less than saintly and transparent with an attached subjective agenda. 

False and charlatan comes to mind.

A good point, Mr Rain 

• Like 1

Amnesty International is more a non issue all over the world recently. They are old and haven’t kept up with technology or social concerns, leading to their soon obsolescence. What worked 50 years ago with no internet and social media, does not work so well these days. 
Let them get “kicked out” of Thailand. It won’t matter. They’re a drop in the bucket compared to even the smaller protest groups around. “Rambo” can then have his 5 seconds of fame and crawl back under his rock, never to be seen again likely.

Are there injustices or simply no justice here in Thailand? Sure, but it won’t be solved by outsiders, including expats 😅, so that’s a lost cause. Go ahead and shake your trees and make noise, but there are a lot of covered ears here in the Kingdom. 

• Like 1

It would be terrible if Thailands authorities had to act transparently wouldn't it, not that I am a fan of these NGO agencies but sometimes they keep governments a little bit honest!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rain said:

International Community [whatever that is]. 

Comon I thought your education level is not on that level to ask about what is the international comunity or the history of AI! Really? Or you want to bring a rewrite version from CCP China, North Korea, Putin or Q anan?! 

17 hours ago, Rain said:

Yet, never touch upon the real corrupted politics, brutalities and empire building from the culture [and kin] in which they originate. How convenient, huh?

A voice of ignorance. AI have acheived sucesses in Western countries for promotion of Human Rights, enactment of legislation and so on, information is easily available.

Back on topic, No surprise some Thais resent AI. Thailand has a poor record for Human Rights and repression, including torture. A URL link is provided below for those interested in facts concerning AI's activities in Thailand.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/location/asia-and-the-pacific/south-east-asia-and-the-pacific/thailand/report-thailand

• Like 3