News Forum - Phuket Entertainment and Night life still booming | Thaiger Stories

Thaiger

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

Why commit ourselves to any country?

Plus we can not commit our lives to Thailand anyway as farangs are only allowed a yearly visa extension, that could change at anytime.

Totally agree @JamesR  there is a whole world out there. 

19 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Totally agree @JamesR  there is a whole world out there. 

24 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Welcome to the forum. Just like everywhere in life, you are likely to meet all kinds on here 😂😂

Speak for yourself please.

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

Move to an expensive area, one in which uneducated people with their ex-bars girls can not afford, why did you live in their area in the first place?

I don't live in such  a place. There are non of that type where I'm at and I avoid going places I might encounter them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

Move to an expensive area, one in which uneducated people with their ex-bars girls can not afford, why did you live in their area in the first place?

Well I do live away from them in Hill Area whereas they are all down the village with the locals in tiny rented properties over their businesses. avoiding bars gyms & restaurants where they are …..

1 minute ago, LoongFred said:

I don't live in such  a place. There are non of that type where I'm at and I avoid going places I might encounter them.

As I do too now for last two months with deliberate no physical expat contact.

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

It is true for another reason not to be called expats, you are just farangs there, there are no genuine expats as no one is on a permanent visa, just annual visa extensions.

You can have a longer visa for 5, 10, 20 years but only if you buy one for 500k or 1mill baht, but that is still a temporary visa.

“Expatriate” term & definition is not country or culture specific.

Means anyone, temporarily or permanently, working or retired,  living outside their home country who does not assimilate locally ( language / citizen/ dress/ work). But somehow different to Immigrant or Migrant ( still working ?) ……or Exile?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Soidog said:

Spot on comments there mate. The last paragraph about people crying in to their beer for the reasons you say is all too common. Then of course there are those (a number on this forum in fact) who try at every stage to talk up life in Thailand. Who attack anyone who dares to make any comment that highlights something wrong or negative about the place. They take offence as you are pricking their conscience about their poor life choices.  

Yes I agree re the attacking and for the reasons you mentioned.

There are good and bad aspects with every country in the world.

What annoys me slightly is they seem to think they know all about Thailand and what does annoy me is they say Thai women are all the same, they are after your money, they drink, they gamble, smoke etc.

They don't seem to realise most Thai women do not drink or smoke or gamble (unless it is 100 baht on a lottery ticket) , many have their own money due to work or business.

I then come to the conclusion they do not know Thailand at all, they stick to their little expat groups, they mix with only ex-bar girls and with friends with ex-bar girls, their biggest past time is hanging around bars and they see nothing of the real non-tourist Thailand, just because they have been doing it for decades they think it is true.

But I don't bother arguing with them as it is would be like arguing with an anti-vaxer, I just walk away smiling to myself.

Don't get me wrong, I like to have a beer at a bar but I limit it to one or two evenings a week as it is then still fun and there are a lot of good guys there too usually. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JamesR said:

Good video.

As usual there are more people walking than actually drinking and there are as usual only a few people drinking, some bars looks busy as most of the people there are 'staff'. 

I wonder how long the street will last before being turned into hotels and shops as happened over the years to the many girly bar streets coming off of Soi Bangla, the area has only 10% of the bars it used to have.

Which is a good thing.

Live music bars & sports bars are busier than beer bars / girl bars.

Nightclubs not overtly open …..no pole dancing yet. Good Start.

7 hours ago, LoongFred said:

So why are you talking about Thailand? Why do you want out of such a great place? I'm from California with great weather but I still think Thailand is better. Those who come from only a  few months have reasons and it's better than back home. I prefer to  come and stay, but it means learning a lot and  being able to adapt, Some people can and are happy. Others can't and only complain. 

"So why are you talking about Thailand?", you said.

Because as I have said many times it is good for long six month holidays.

Do you think only you can talk about it because you annual visa is longer than mine?

We are both visitors. 

I stayed for a year once, there is nothing much to adapt to as far as I can see, but I do like the change.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LoongFred said:

I had a Thai friend years ago that explained to me:

How do you feel when you help others? If it makes you feel good to help you need to thank the other person for allowing you to do good and help. It sounded weird but I always remember. So don't worry and be content that you did a good thing.

Can you send me £10,000, you can thank me later.😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Not really but those who find fault with everything are never going to be happy in Thailand or anywhere else. Professional whiners I guess. Try to see the good in things and it will make you a happy person.

People need to be culturally adaptive to successfully live here. 

So you agree with @Soidogand myself, we are talking about the professional whiners, we do see the good things as we are not the whiners.

"People need to be culturally adaptive to successfully live here.", you wrote.

I suppose that is true if a person lives in a tiny village in the backwaters in Isaan for example but I don't see the quality of life in doing that but there is not much adapting to do if say we live in Phuket, Hua Hin, CM etc.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Yes I agree re the attacking and for the reasons you mentioned.

There are good and bad aspects with every country in the world.

What annoys me slightly is they seem to think they know all about Thailand and what does annoy me is they say Thai women are all the same, they are after your money, they drink, they gamble, smoke etc.

They don't seem to realise most Thai women do not drink or smoke or gamble (unless it is 100 baht on a lottery ticket) , many have their own money due to work or business.

I then come to the conclusion they do not know Thailand at all, they stick to their little expat groups, they mix with only ex-bar girls and with friends with ex-bar girls, their biggest past time is hanging around bars and they see nothing of the real non-tourist Thailand, just because they have been doing it for decades they think it is true.

But I don't bother arguing with them as it is would be like arguing with an anti-vaxer, I just walk away smiling to myself.

Don't get me wrong, I like to have a beer at a bar but I limit it to one or two evenings a week as it is then still fun and there are a lot of good guys there too usually. 

Similar Thinking myself. Barstoolers uneducated so unaware of the traditional true Thailand outside the 1% tourist areas. I have settled here for Tropical Lifestyle reasons unattainable for me back home & entirely unrelated to things Thai.Safe Cheap Warm Friendly Simple Old - Respected+ Sun Beach Water. That’s It. 

No Interest in Thai People Culture Govt. Thinking, except what is necessary for smooth full living. My educated Thai lady handles operational family work. I handle strategy ( Imm., Insurance, Travel), major approvals & funding.

Studied Thai History briefly though. Thais came here from rural S.China 800 years ago,assimilated existing cultures, built & destroyed cities,  became Buddhist, created Thai Language, avoided colonization, copied western laws & industry, became stagnant & corrupt. typical old Asia.end of & so what. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LoongFred said:

I had a Thai friend years ago that explained to me:

How do you feel when you help others? If it makes you feel good to help you need to thank the other person for allowing you to do good and help. It sounded weird but I always remember. So don't worry and be content that you did a good thing.

I disagree, highly, actually

If someone does something nice for me, I say Thank You

It is literally all you have to do to show appreciation.

My stepson has been taught that, and my nephews have been taught that, but because I always take care of things, they forget

They will then forget when it isn't a family member doing something for them......

2 hours ago, Rain said:

Just as well - you won't be missed.🤫

Are you talking into the mirror again as your comment was not in answer to anyone.🙄

1 hour ago, oldschooler said:

“Expatriate” term & definition is not country or culture specific.

Means anyone, temporarily or permanently, working or retired,  living outside their home country who does not assimilate locally ( language / citizen/ dress/ work). But somehow different to Immigrant or Migrant ( still working ?) ……or Exile?

"Means anyone, temporarily or permanently, working or retired,  living outside their home country..."

So a tourists are expats then seeing as they are living here temporrily?

2 hours ago, LoongFred said:

So why did you reply to my comment then, my comment was in reply to someone who was complained so called low people lived near them.

I do not live near them as well but that is also irrelevant. 

2 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Good for you and for us. Thanks

It will make no difference to any of us as we will never meet anyway but you can keep up the pretence of thinking you have some say in what goes on in Thailand. 

A lot of farangs are like that, I avoid them in person. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rangers said:

Bangla has been as busy as ever. Few stoppages here and there with the odd covid panic but thankfully people seem to be treating omicron as the very mild bug it is now.

We all caught it on bangla one night, I basically had the sh*ts for a night 🤣 and was fine the next day. Nothing an immodium washed down with chang won't sort out, put it that way. 

Are you sure it was omicron and not a bad plate of bangers and mash? :-) 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

Welcome to the forum. Just like everywhere in life, you are likely to meet all kinds on here 😂😂

I know, I shouldn't do it really but I have been commenting a lot more than usual today as I am skiving off work for the day, I normally just write a comment now and then while waiting for my code to compile and have a minute or two break from programming.

It is so funny as a lot of people take themselves far too seriously, but it is a laugh for a minute or two.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Well I do live away from them in Hill Area whereas they are all down the village with the locals in tiny rented properties over their businesses. avoiding bars gyms & restaurants where they are …..

As I do too now for last two months with deliberate no physical expat contact.

But if you know them well enough to know which ones are renting and which ones have bought their house then you must be already quite friendly with them.

On the gated community I live on in Phuket when I am visiting in a quiet area I do not know who has bought and who is renting as it is not a question I would ask a neighbour unless they became very good friends.

• Like 1