News Forum - Phuket Entertainment and Night life still booming | Thaiger Stories

Thaiger

7 hours ago, JamesR said:

What a load of nonsense you write, I have never seen a farang with a Thai passport, people who have been on one year visas for a few years call themselves 'expats' but they have no more rights or security than I do on my shorter holiday visas (six months normally).

So you are talking about tourists. I not claim they have a Thaipassport it was my question because you wrote they are a minority then I was interested what is the majority you are claiming.

1 minute ago, AussieBob said:

Sweden has very much stayed with the same approach since the pandemic started. Socially isolate the elderly (70+) not working, everyone practice social distancing, everyone get vaccinated, masks very rarely mandated.  Even now while everyone in Europe has been getting huge numbers of new infections and deaths, Sweden is well behind the curve for ICU and Deaths.  

And it had no critics? 

16 minutes ago, Vince said:

And it had no critics? 

Heaps at the beginning, but now it is 'crickets'.   Contact of mine lives in Sweden - he actually caught Covid in early days - fit healthy but it nearly killed him.  Took 6 months until he was fully over it. 

Just now, AussieBob said:

Heaps at the beginning, but now it is 'crickets'.   Contact of mine lives in Sweden - he actually caught Covid in early days - fit healthy but it nearly killed him.  Took 6 months until he was fully over it. 

I am a big fan of Sweden's response and I recall it getting massive criticism from all the lockdown fanboys. 

It was the right way to go and still is. It assumed, like I did, the pandemic wasn't going to be short, and the side effects of restrictions could be greater than the short term restrictions benefits. 

Although I think they had constitutional reasons for being unable to impose restrictions but I'm gonna give them credit anyway :-p 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Vince said:

I am a big fan of Sweden's response and I recall it getting massive criticism from all the lockdown fanboys. 

It was the right way to go and still is. It assumed, like I did, the pandemic wasn't going to be short, and the side effects of restrictions could be greater than the short term restrictions benefits. 

Although I think they had constitutional reasons for being unable to impose restrictions but I'm gonna give them credit anyway :-p 

Still, Sweden came out of it smelling better than most. 

Some of the early critics are eating crow today.

2 minutes ago, Rain said:

Still, Sweden came out of it smelling better than most. 

Some of the early critics are eating crow today.

I recall one of the Swedish officials saying squarely that restrictions would hurt the young and the poor most and do harm in the long run, increase poverty, etc. 

Looks like the swedes were right? 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Vince said:

Yes indeed they did have issues with restrictions and legal rights - but the Govt never pushed the matter because the majority of people did not agree with the massive lockdowns implemented by others.

The Sweden justification to the other countries and WHO and all the others, was that in their opinion the best approach is to get as many people vaccinated as possible and to increase 'herd immunity' by letting the young and strong get it and build immunities - but while doing that they also isolated and protected the elderly and those with medical conditions.  IMO herd immunity though exposure and the vaccines has worked as shown in Sweden - but also in Australia.

I say that vaccines worked in Australia, because although the new infections are skyrocketing the death rates are very low. The numbers show that the lockdowns certainly stopped the new cases in Australia, but eventually the virus got in and the new cases has now skyrocketed, but the ICU and deaths rates are low compared against other countries with similar infection rates. Herd immunity through both 'natural' and vaccines clearly works and is the best solution. Problem is it took a long time to develop the vaccines and then over a year to get enough people vaccinated or infected to achieve a reasonable herd immunity level. I am hopeful that once Omicron fades away, Covid will peter out mid/late 2022 - fingers crossed.  Spanish Flu lasted 3.5 years - we might be getting out of Covid19 in 2.5 years.

• Like 2

My friends (22,f,Buriram,Stunner( customer (boyfriend , sponsor etc you name it ) went butterfly in Phuket at a bar , got infected and infected her too. Now the strange story begins. Her rapid tests showed positive. 

Two more RT-PCR (over  2000 Baht each!) showed negative. 

Don’t trust your 5 baht Chinese rapid tests from China and don’t go bats , for now. 

15 hours ago, JamesR said:

What happened since 1996 is 95% of the Isaan girly bars have been replaced by hotels and shops as all that low life has moved to Pattaya, now most of the tourists are families, couples or groups.

We are glad it is more expensive than Pattaya etc as it keeps the riff riff away.

Hot? Everywhere in Thailand is hot, go to the North Pole if you want cold.

The minority of the farangs in Phuket are so called 'expats', they as usual mope about and complain about the place, we avoid them as much as possible. 

Yes ! Have Cut all physical contact with all  “expats” in my immediate orbit.. Zero Value / No Inspiration. 

Possibly need to break into a higher quality group like yachties or merc owners 🤨 or business “ leaders” but nothing much to offer them except my “extreme “ ( rational to me ! 🙂) stimulating ( provocative 😋) political & life opinions/ experience  !

Some great forum value / opinions / info / characters here though …..helps keep brain active & pass the time along with reading, you tube , streaming, family, diet and exercise….quit my job rather than face two euro Covid winters away from here…

but if this is what retirement will be like, can shove it ! my excellent educated Thai lady runs the house & kid…and me I guess. 

Better on my own right now boring & irritating the crap outta my ever tolerant lady & son …. and mostly getting ignored or rejected on forums…..😎!

Waiting to be contacted for a new project in Europe soon I hope…..😌

If Masks, Fear, Far Less Tourists, etc.  & no Nightclubs or Pole Dancing , like one week ago when last in Bangla, unless suddenly changed , HOW is it like pre- Covid …? 

Bangla road is a place you walk through once....then you walk through a second time just to make sure you didn't miss anything the first time. Then the only time you ever go there again is if you're showing a friend around Phuket for the first time, just so they can say that they've been there. 

There's much more the Phuket. The nearby islands, Kamala, Surin, Rawai, Big Buddha, Wat Chalong. Beautiful seafood, beautiful food too. That's why I go there...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Bangla road is a place you walk through once....then you walk through a second time just to make sure you didn't miss anything the first time. Then the only time you ever go there again is if you're showing a friend around Phuket for the first time, just so they can say that they've been there. 

There's much more the Phuket. The nearby islands, Kamala, Surin, Rawai, Big Buddha, Wat Chalong. Beautiful seafood, beautiful food too. That's why I go there...

I just pretend Patong doesn't exist. Phuket life is good and it's a great place to live. 

Bangla the tourists and sex pests can keep.

10 hours ago, Soidog said:

Oh ok, I do a very similar thing. I don’t like to generalise, but I know the kind of people you mean. Only thing I would say is this…..  Its one thing to come and go and see Thailand as a place for an extended holiday. A place that although you may have invested much, you haven’t fully committed your life to the place only to find things change around you. Remember that some of these guys have no easy way to return to their home country. They sold up years ago, moved their whole life to the place they thought was their future life, only for it to turn sour on them. A return “home” for many would mean living in a rented apartment with a very tight budget and the prospect of Northern European winters. 

Many of these guys were not particularly well travelled or experienced in other cultures. They came to Thailand for holidays. Spent the day chilling on the beach and the evenings partying. You can’t do that 365 days a year when you live in Thailand. It’s either too expensive, too boring, or both. When you settle in a foreign country and live a “normal life”, that’s when the shortcomings and differences of culture come in to stark contrast. That’s when you start to notice the things that frustrate you and the whole thing snowballs. 

I always tell anyone thinking of getting fully committed to Thailand to stop and think. If they still think it’s a great idea, they should stop and think again! For many, the exact opposite is the outcome of their move. It’s a dream come true, often with the love of their life and in a culture that sits well with their underlying character. 

Yes, what you said above is what I have been seeing for years.

The longest I have stayed in one stretch is one year, the average is six months but this goes back over a 34 year period.

I know and have mixed with Thais from various social groups in Thailand from the rich and educated to the average so I have a broad knowledge of how the society is. (And the corruption).

I did think of retiring when I was around 50 to Thailand but leaving my assets etc back in the Uk, after three months of walking on the beach etc it soon dawned on me that was not possible due to it becoming boring.

The best thing for me is when ready to retire then just retire, not retire to Thailand or anywhere, but just retire from work and then travel as you please. 

But I will leave my property and assets in the UK as the rules can change in Thailand at anytime and as we have no rights or security then we are not really expats or actually retired there, we are just on one year visa extensions.

I have met people as you say who sold up in the UK and I thought I know what will happen in a few years time to you, you will be stuck in some cheap village in the middle of nowhere in Isaan or some place as that is all you can afford after spending the bulk of the money and will slowly become a moaner.

I met one bloke while having a beer, he said you lot come here, you bring your two week money and the prices go up making it hard for us, we can't afford these prices, I thought that is not my fault. 

And the number of farangs I have met crying into their beer due to having met am Isaan bar girl, buying her a house, car etc and then her doing a runner with everything is quite common, I stay well away from that sort. 

22 minutes ago, Artemis080 said:

I just pretend Patong doesn't exist. Phuket life is good and it's a great place to live. 

Bangla the tourists and sex pests can keep.

I walk down Soi Bangla maybe once a month when I am there just for a change as I live in a quiet area.

I see most people just walk the full length of the street and then back again, they are mostly tourists just having a look and also Chinese tourists in large groups, most people do not sit to drink, it is just a spectacle to see as it is for me now and then.

The days of the sex pests are well and truly gone, they go to Pattaya.

I do go to the 100 year old road in Patong as they have the best noodles, Patong has great shopping centres and restaurants, over the last few decades it has changed enormously with 90% of the bars gone and replaced by hotels and shops. 

But Patong represents about one percent of the area in Phuket.

8 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Sweden has very much stayed with the same approach since the pandemic started. Socially isolate the elderly (70+) not working, everyone practice social distancing, everyone get vaccinated, masks very rarely mandated.  Even now while everyone in Europe has been getting huge numbers of new infections and deaths, Sweden is well behind the curve for ICU and Deaths.  

It is a massive country withe very few people (10 million), many live is small villages, not crowded like many places in Europe.

But it has not fared as well as the adjoining Scandinavian countries who were stricter with their policies. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stardust said:

So you are talking about tourists. I not claim they have a Thaipassport it was my question because you wrote they are a minority then I was interested what is the majority you are claiming.

I don't understand what nonsense you are talking about. 

3 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Yes ! Have Cut all physical contact with all  “expats” in my immediate orbit.. Zero Value / No Inspiration. 

Possibly need to break into a higher quality group like yachties or merc owners 🤨 or business “ leaders” but nothing much to offer them except my “extreme “ ( rational to me ! 🙂) stimulating ( provocative 😋) political & life opinions/ experience  !

Some great forum value / opinions / info / characters here though …..helps keep brain active & pass the time along with reading, you tube , streaming, family, diet and exercise….quit my job rather than face two euro Covid winters away from here…

but if this is what retirement will be like, can shove it ! my excellent educated Thai lady runs the house & kid…and me I guess. 

Better on my own right now boring & irritating the crap outta my ever tolerant lady & son …. and mostly getting ignored or rejected on forums…..😎!

I keep my brain active by writing iPhone apps, I can do that on my computer anywhere in the world as long as I have an internet connection, I will continue doing that and never really 'retire'.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Soidog said:

Oh ok, I do a very similar thing. I don’t like to generalise, but I know the kind of people you mean. Only thing I would say is this…..  Its one thing to come and go and see Thailand as a place for an extended holiday. A place that although you may have invested much, you haven’t fully committed your life to the place only to find things change around you. Remember that some of these guys have no easy way to return to their home country. They sold up years ago, moved their whole life to the place they thought was their future life, only for it to turn sour on them. A return “home” for many would mean living in a rented apartment with a very tight budget and the prospect of Northern European winters. 

Many of these guys were not particularly well travelled or experienced in other cultures. They came to Thailand for holidays. Spent the day chilling on the beach and the evenings partying. You can’t do that 365 days a year when you live in Thailand. It’s either too expensive, too boring, or both. When you settle in a foreign country and live a “normal life”, that’s when the shortcomings and differences of culture come in to stark contrast. That’s when you start to notice the things that frustrate you and the whole thing snowballs. 

I always tell anyone thinking of getting fully committed to Thailand to stop and think. If they still think it’s a great idea, they should stop and think again! For many, the exact opposite is the outcome of their move. It’s a dream come true, often with the love of their life and in a culture that sits well with their underlying character. 

You like to give advice but only come part time to party. That's very different. If someone wants to come and live happily in Thailand,  they need to be prepared. It's never going to be back home so forget it and leave your complaints at home. Learn as much about Thailand culture, language and food as you can. You must also be able to handle the weather. Have enough resources to sustain you. A minimum of 65000 baht is suggested by immigration. Since Thais consider you are rich understand you'll be the one expected to pay. But most of all bring a positive attitude and don't get involved in the blame Thailand (TIT) game. Some people do very well and are happy other constantly complain and are miserable.  Lastly don't believe everything negative you read. The nature of people is to complain 10x more than compliment. Feel free to compliment.

Thai have values based on Buddhist teaching not on Christian teachings back home. You need to accept and not complain.

8 minutes ago, JamesR said:

It is a massive country withe very few people (10 million), many live is small villages, not crowded like many places in Europe.

But it has not fared as well as the adjoining Scandinavian countries who were stricter with their policies. 

Hard to compare as they are all different, but most cases in Sweden are in the big cities of Stockholm, Goteborg and Malmo.  Look at the current death rates to cases ratio - Sweden well down in percentage.

3 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Take up golf at a good club - you will meet a better 'class' of Expats I found (and Thais).  But avoid the Expat 'golf clubs' that are basically rowdy boys having lots of beer while playing a game - a good indicator is that they have a bar as their HQ.  

13 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

You like to give advice but only come part time to party. That's very different. If someone wants to come and live happily in Thailand,  they need to be prepared. It's never going to be back home so forget it and leave your complaints at home. Learn as much about Thailand culture, language and food as you can. You must also be able to handle the weather. Have enough resources to sustain you. A minimum of 65000 baht is suggested by immigration. Since Thais consider you are rich understand you'll be the one expected to pay. But most of all bring a positive attitude and don't get involved in the blame Thailand (TIT) game. Some people do very well and are happy other constantly complain and are miserable.  Lastly don't believe everything negative you read. The nature of people is to complain 10x more than compliment. Feel free to compliment.

Thai have values based on Buddhist teaching not on Christian teachings back home. You need to accept and not complain.

It is still temporary as all the farangs I know who were approaching 80 years old had to go back to their own country as they needed long term medical care which most 'retirees' can not afford to pay in Thailand, people for some reason think they are going to be fit and healthy forever.

You said, "Since Thais consider you are rich understand you'll be the one expected to pay.", who told you that? I have never been expected to pay, we (Thais and farangs) all have turns at paying generally at restaurants etc, not all Thais are poor and are scroungers you know. 

You fell for that one it seems, so funny, get your wallet out farang. 😂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Take up golf at a good club - you will meet a better 'class' of Expats I found (and Thais).  But avoid the Expat 'golf clubs' that are basically rowdy boys having lots of beer while playing a game - a good indicator is that they have a bar as their HQ.  

I played a few times in Phuket many years ago, far too hot to be enjoyable and not good for you health to be out in the blazing sun for hours on end.

Plus I resent the high fees, I can afford them but I resent them, they cost about five time the price you pay in the UK.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Phuket and environs - circa 1969.

20 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Hard to compare as they are all different, but most cases in Sweden are in the big cities of Stockholm, Goteborg and Malmo.  Look at the current death rates to cases ratio - Sweden well down in percentage.

All around the world the death rates to cases ratio is down as this version of the virus is not as dangerous as previous versions as far as death is concerned.

5 minutes ago, JamesR said:

All around the world the death rates to cases ratio is down as this version of the virus is not as dangerous as previous versions as far as death is concerned.

From the start, it was always very very low and consistence - and continues to be regardless of the variant or vaccination status. 

The obvious recognition of these things and learning curve doesn't seem to be kicking in.