News Forum - Australia cancels Djokovic’s visa once again, Serbian tennis star to be deported

Thaiger

Reminds me about Johnny Depp bringing his two dogs into Australia without quarantining them.

Someone else full of their own imaginary over-importance.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Alavan said:

It isn't about being fit, it is about not following laws and rules.

You're saying that as a mantra and you're not taking notice of reality. A judge ruled in his favor, he followed the rules. The immigration ministry is cancelling the visa saying Djokovic is a danger to society.

• Haha 1

The Ozzies are not very efficient. He should have been put on the next plane out instead of all the shillyshallying. Immigration in most places have that authority but because he is "special",,,,,?

1 hour ago, Disenfranchised said:

The Ozzies are not very efficient. He should have been put on the next plane out instead of all the shillyshallying. Immigration in most places have that authority but because he is "special",,,,,?

Anyone, inside or outside Australia, has the right to appeal a visa cancellation and if they are already in Australia then they can’t be put on the next plane. It’s not because he is “special”. Novax will again appeal his visa cancellation but with the “human errors” on his paperwork it looks like it’s game, set, match time.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, diegogg said:

You're saying that as a mantra and you're not taking notice of reality. A judge ruled in his favor, he followed the rules. The immigration ministry is cancelling the visa saying Djokovic is a danger to society.

except he lied when he said the rules were followed.
Those are new facts.
Besides, the Minister had the right to overrule the judge in this case

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Good on the Aussies!

It is about time that the anti-vaxxing selfish tossers paid a price; for two years it has been the oh so smug "ME! ME! ME!", "MY rights matter and yours don't" and "what about ME?". Yes, as I am sure that you have realized, I have had enough of the wankers.

Another "Good Australian" there, obedient little sheep. Those pesky rights like have a saying in what kind of drugs to inject your own body.

• Like 3
  • Angry 1

11 hours ago, diegogg said:

It seemed to me that Australia has a judicial system that ruled in favor of Djokovic. So the executive branch is contesting the judicial branch. Like it or not, Djokovic fought and will likely fight this visa cancellation thing again. As opposed to the vast majority of people who accepted getting their freedoms revoked. By the way, 130,000+ cases reported yesterday in Australia; and somehow one of the fittest and healthiest man on earth is a danger to society.

Happy to see him on the next Border Force program on tv!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

Reminds me about Johnny Depp bringing his two dogs into Australia without quarantining them.

Someone else full of their own imaginary over-importance.

That's usually how it is - 

What would be more usual, if their wasn't a peep about this whole affair brought to the attention of the public the Aust. authorities would have ignored the whole thing. 

1 hour ago, palooka said:

How Novak Djokovic has a surprise document in his possession (msn.com)

Seems he has a personal diplomatic passport ??????

So what? He is on a personal trip and not on behalf of the Serbian Government. He arrived on a visa for a person. If his visa is cancelled he can cross the border and then chose to re-enter using it as allowed by Serbia.

But considering the arrival rules for unvaccinated diplomats seems to be 14 day isolation after arrival, don't think he will see much of the tournament considering his first game is on Monday!

https://www.dfat.gov.au/about-us/publications/corporate/protocol-guidelines/16-covid-19-pandemic-arrival-and-quarantine#16.4

• Like 4

On 1/15/2022 at 12:42 PM, Smithydog said:

So what? He is on a personal trip and not on behalf of the Serbian Government. He arrived on a visa for a person. If his visa is cancelled he can cross the border and then chose to re-enter using it as allowed by Serbia.

But considering the arrival rules for unvaccinated diplomats seems to be 14 day isolation after arrival, don't think he will see much of the tournament considering his first game is on Monday!

https://www.dfat.gov.au/about-us/publications/corporate/protocol-guidelines/16-covid-19-pandemic-arrival-and-quarantine#16.4

He lied straight out 

they were going to let him in and bang 

caught on Insta lie ing for 3 or 4 times now

send the grub home , good job Australia no name to big un  like most of the planet 

Edited by Markwick
  • Like 3

Federal Court decision now pending following arguments presented via video to the Full Bench this morning (Melbourne Time). Djokovic exercised his right to appeal and a speedy hearing was set up considering his circumstances. Decision could be later today or earlier tomorrow.

If he loses he likely he will be deported pretty quickly and may be subject to the imposition of a 3 year entry ban into Australia. If he wins, then likely he will stay and play only restricted by the rules for players set out for the Tournament.

Hard, but not impossible in either case, to get special leave to appeal to the High Court of Australia which is the highest court in the land. Just seems unlikely in the timeframe.

Never know which way the courts will go. The Minister does have somewhat exceptional powers, yet the reasons he used seem unusual. Federal Court could go either way! We will just have to wait and see.

• Like 1

Djokovic  has lost his appeal. 

"Chief justice James Allsop has announced the full federal court’s decision unanimously to dismiss Novak Djokovic’s application seeking reinstatement of his visa."

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2022/jan/16/australia-live-news-update-novak-djokovic-fights-to-overturn-visa-cancellation-in-federal-court-australian-open-tennis-covid-victoria-new-south-wales-scott-morrison-vaccine-coronavirus

The court have given all parties 30 minutes to consider if any further orders from the court are needed. This could include seeking leave to appeal to the High Court, orders on costs.

• Like 3

what a mess, Australia not making any friends. Will not be surprised is players will walk away from the tournament. interesting to see aftershocks. penal colony strikes again...

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

what a mess, Australia not making any friends. Will not be surprised is players will walk away from the tournament. interesting to see aftershocks. penal colony strikes again...

Personally, I'd have told them to shove the whole thing days ago. Aussies tend (at least the ones I know,maybe a dozen) to be confrontational blowhards with little to offer.

2 hours ago, Smithydog said:

Djokovic  has lost his appeal. 

"Chief justice James Allsop has announced the full federal court’s decision unanimously to dismiss Novak Djokovic’s application seeking reinstatement of his visa."

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2022/jan/16/australia-live-news-update-novak-djokovic-fights-to-overturn-visa-cancellation-in-federal-court-australian-open-tennis-covid-victoria-new-south-wales-scott-morrison-vaccine-coronavirus

The court have given all parties 30 minutes to consider if any further orders from the court are needed. This could include seeking leave to appeal to the High Court, orders on costs.

My understanding is that there is no appeal against a full Federal Court decision (3 Judges). 

Iconic Aussie rock band The Angels had a song that the crowd always answered when the song was played live - and that is what most of us think about Novaxx (google it). 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Personally, I'd have told them to shove the whole thing days ago. Aussies tend (at least the ones I know,maybe a dozen) to be confrontational blowhards with little to offer.

And we find Poolie to be an obnoxious little blowboy. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3