News Forum - Gene that doubles risk of severe Covid-19 found by Polish researchers

Thaiger

There may be a new method to determine who is most vulnerable during the pandemic, as a gene has been identified by Polish scientists that more than doubles the risk of serious Covid-19 infection. The scientists behind the discovery hope that being able to identify people who are a great risk might prompt them to get vaccinated if they have not already. In Central and Eastern Europe especially, vaccine hesitancy has driven high death rates from Covid-19. But if a test can determine that someone is at high risk for serious infection, it may encourage them to get vaccinated, or […]

The story Gene that doubles risk of severe Covid-19 found by Polish researchers as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I am afraid that antivaxxers are too stubborn to listen to any argument. This genetic predisposition argument will not penetrate their thick foreheads any better then previous arguments.

But then again, smart people flourish while thickheaded suffer as always.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

But if a test can determine that someone is at high risk for serious infection, it may encourage them to get vaccinated

Wishful thinking I believe. 

Not even death can convince the anti vaxxers.

2 hours ago, Paco said:

Anti vaxxers is just another group making things more difficult and showing how selfish they are and do not care about others... so let them die...

I am almost thinking the same as they only have themselves to blame, but unfortunately I have a brother and a few close good friends who are in this group. I think they should have at least been smart enough to think mRNA to inactivated vaccines. Nothing is risk free. 

• Like 1

is 1 or some person, paid to write, how bad anti-vaxxers are ?
and what about your "belief" in conspiracy theory as, dangeorus lab-virus ? :)

even government numbers say the opposite of t.ell v.isiion,
and just by talking with many people, you finally know, it is a tv-vision.

9 hours ago, Dmitrii said:

I am afraid that antivaxxers are too stubborn to listen to any argument. This genetic predisposition argument will not penetrate their thick foreheads any better then previous arguments.

But then again, smart people flourish while thickheaded suffer as always.

It is a good job that some mothers in the 50s and 60s didn't share your caustic views, many mothers refused to take the wonder drug Thalidomide on their doctors advice because not enough research had gone into the affects of taking it, and many of the mothers children will be eternally grateful that. 

Only time will tell if the treatment for this latest virus has any long lasting affects.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

I am almost thinking the same as they only have themselves to blame, but unfortunately I have a brother and a few close good friends who are in this group. I think they should have at least been smart enough to think mRNA to inactivated vaccines. Nothing is risk free. 

Selfish friends you have  get new friends

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Transam said:

You are quoting something from 70 years back, try something a little more up to date....😆

When I need advice I shall consult the Oracle and not the dumb downed version Ceefax! But your input has been very invaluable, but on this occasion I will not be returning the nonsense.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Paco said:

Selfish friends you have  get new friends

I have a lot of friends in the USA and unfortuantely I value their friendships as have known them for a long long time. Not that simple and I am not that shallow.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marble-eye said:

When I need advice I shall consult the Oracle and not the dumb downed version Ceefax! But your input has been very invaluable, but on this occasion I will not be returning the nonsense.

Yeap, no need to reply to the "one-sentence-people" containing only hate. It is beyond comprehension. Some call me an anti-vaxx although in my whole life I have had all vaccines possible, including for covid. Some reply with the usual hateful one sentence containing "5G" (????????????????) or "Qanom" (after one of them about a month ago, although I vaguely heard about it, I went to see what it is all about... I did not even understand what it was all about!!?? And it seems to be in the US so I definitely do not care...). This "new normal" world has suddenly showed the hate in some.

The thing I really do not understand is how we cannot be rational anymore, not even reasonable. It always took years to do a vaccine so it is not only efficient but most of all safe (and sometimes it goes wrong like for example with the dengue fever vaccine https://www.science.org/content/article/dengue-vaccine-fiasco-leads-criminal-charges-researcher-philippines ), and the reason why is surely obvious to everyone. Isn't it obvious to anyone????? These covid vaccines are at the most 1 year old, so there is no way to know the mid-term effects (2 to 5 years) and the long-term effects (10 years and on). On top of that, some are using technics never used before!!!! But NO, if you question anything, you have the fanatic brigade at your neck with their one-sentence hate with 0 argument. I simply do not understand it. Can they not just talk like normal humans???

Really I do not care about the fanatic brigade, sometimes it is actually amusing, entertaining. Yes, mostly I am puzzled by so much hate and no rational and calm debates. But listening to some scientists sometimes give me hope that we will maybe one day go back to normal. Like for example the approach of Dr Clive Dix (and many others from different countries), the former head of the UK vaccination task force, which seems to me very reasonable (I have posted the link twice and I will again).

https://www.channel4.com/news/we-need-new-type-of-strategy-after-booster-campaign-says-ex-head-of-vaccine-task-force

Edited by Manu
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Manu why can't you understand Covid was never hear'd of in 2019. When it took hold Millions around the World began dying from it. We saw Indians lighting funeral pyer's in there thousands daily in major Indian city's. Here in the UK we have seen over 150 thousand died from Covid god knows how many Americans lost love one's to Covid. YET people still insist its all a conspiracy Covid does not exist etc. When this Virus was discovered we had to formulate a vaccine to combat it other wise millions more would die. You must also realize testing is quicker today then it was 50=60 years ago instead of writing a formula on a Black Board a super computer can formulate your answer in a few minutes, Testing was done fact ok it was quick but we could not carry on watching millions dying. We had to act. Why can't you see this.

1 hour ago, Transam said:

Like agreeing wiv a bloke that says the Covid vaccines have NOT saved lives....😏

I have found that the secret of eternal happiness is to never argue with fools, yes you are correct.

• Cool 1

Just now, Transam said:

The Philippines......😆

Has Pfizer developed a Dengue Fever vaccine that has been passed for use....?

It has been developped by Sanofi / Institut Pasteur in France and had passed for use in the Philippines and other countries.

Pfizer? I do not know so what? Are you a pfizer fanatic for some reason?? What I know is that the last 20 years, Pfizer has certainly a nice record with other 60 times charged (that is an average of 3 times yearly the last 20 years) with lovely offenses like Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, environmental violation, False Claims Act and related, drug or medical equipment safety violation, off-label or unapproved promotion of medical products, kickbacks and bribery, etc... and over 10 billion dollars fines. A lovely trustworthy company, that is.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, vlad said:

Why can't you see this.

From what he writes I am pretty sure that 'he sees it'.  But then he proceeds with separating the chaff from the wheat, by also consulting other sources than the MSM propaganda when trying to understand the reality of what is taking place instead of parroting the lunacy that is sold to us on a daily basis.

4 hours ago, Transam said:

I did a quick search, there are 5 companies that have got something for Dengue Fever, but only one has been approved to date.

I don't think it's Pfizer, but guess what, Pfizers Covid vaccine has been approved........🥳........Keep that to yourself, eh....😎

Surely somehow you have to agree that your response is not coming from a rational not a reasonable brain. Not even from a brain? Yes? Have you been drinking ? What’s wrong with you?? Surely this is not just me?? And the point?? Any point?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Transam said:

Drinking, not before 6pm, mon ami...🥳

You could try spelling or grammar mistakes next time....😆

ok, 6pm is a good time.

Could I "try spelling" or "grammar mistakes"????? Are you sure it is never before 6pm?

• Haha 1

On 1/14/2022 at 11:50 AM, Marble-eye said:

It is a good job that some mothers in the 50s and 60s didn't share your caustic views, many mothers refused to take the wonder drug Thalidomide on their doctors advice because not enough research had gone into the affects of taking it, and many of the mothers children will be eternally grateful that. 

Only time will tell if the treatment for this latest virus has any long lasting affects.

Social norms haven’t changed much in respect to listening to doctors advise!

Don’t ever listen to people that tell you that something is to old ,especially when everyone knows history can repeat itself .

• Like 1