News Forum - Thailand to charge foreign tourists 300 baht entry fee starting April 1

Thaiger

50 baht insurance--hmmmm..this should be interesting...to say the lease

You get what u pay for.....if at all....seems like every week is the launch of a new grand "plan"...smh

Sorry, all those "explanations" are utter BS. Especially the insurance. I am well insured, both against accident and death. I don't need any aditional insurance cover. And what cover am I going to get for 50 THB anyway?

Guys, be honest: "we need extra $$$ and this new tax is the best we could come up with". THAT would be at least honest.

• Like 3

"300 baht fee from foreigners entering the country and the charge will be included in airfares."

How would this work?  Would it be added on after the fare is calculated?  What if you are a Thai national or on a non - O visa?

• Like 1

This is a great idea. If Thailand wants to promote medical tourism why not have a way to pay into the medical system directly for everyone? 

I'd gladly pay Thailand directly instead of a global insurance agency. 

3 hours ago, gundam0315 said:

they making so much money off the "positive" test results from tourists when they arrive already.  

So thats is the new TAT stratergy,  what great infomation🤑 no doubt backed up by hard data

23 minutes ago, Vince said:

This is a great idea. If Thailand wants to promote medical tourism why not have a way to pay into the medical system directly for everyone? 

I'd gladly pay Thailand directly instead of a global insurance agency. 

On the surface maybe, but just try getting treament at a teir1 hospital like Bumrungrad.  50 baht to cover insurance for medical tourisim costs!😅  At least it may decrease the E begging that can go on when some tourist has health or accident issues with no tavel insurance in the future.

5 hours ago, Fundok said:

Sorry, all those "explanations" are utter BS. Especially the insurance. I am well insured, both against accident and death. I don't need any aditional insurance cover. And what cover am I going to get for 50 THB anyway?

I think that's the trick. As people noticed earlier, at 50THB the math looks very weak to cover any injuries/deaths.

But if you then consider most of the tourists already have medical and travel insurance, the thai govt can just not pay out on those. So the whole pool of money needs only to be used to that handful of* deplorables that think they can travel the world without taking out insurance, whenever they get in trouble. That way the govt don't end up paying for those.

*long-haired, anti-social, bongo-playing, penny-turning 😁

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Amazing Thailand New Chapter” plan and the money will be for the maintenance and development of tourist attractions

"amazing"... 

So then the least they can do is now to get rid of the farang price. Because I thought that that was used for the maintenance and development.... 

7 hours ago, Rain said:

Yep. Been like this forever everywhere.

Chances are that each one of us are unaware of all knik-knak add ons, taxes or whatever - every instance that we purchase an air ticket.......especially an int'l flight. It all automatically written into the ticket.

Knowing Thailand, they won't add it in the plane ticket, but they'll make 2 lines at the airport, paying them in cash directly. 1 line for foreigners (no matter if they are tourists or expats) and 1 for their Thai wives, kids, etc. (who can walk in for free) who have to awkwardly look on how their foreign husband either is pissed, or pay that money like a good boy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thommo said:

So thats is the new TAT stratergy,  what great infomation🤑 no doubt backed up by hard data

it's backed up, by real stories and videos

• Haha 1

The article (or perhaps the spokesperson being quoted) is not clear. Not all foreigners are tourists. Some are permanent residents, some are here for business, retirement, married, parental guardian, diplomat, medical, educational, Elite Visa, etc...  The article states:

"The Thai government will start collecting a 300 baht entry fee from foreign tourists "

"...the government will start collecting the 300 baht fee from foreigners entering the country and the charge will be included in airfares."

Also, in order to collect this money from the airfares the airlines will have to do most of the administration for the government, including amending their ticket sales websites to include dual pricing based on foreign passport. Or perhaps based on visa status, if there are exemptions. All before April 1.

Will you get a copy of the policy to tell you exactly what is covered and how to make a claim in English? I can see hell freezing over first!! 

As for the upkeep of attractions, they already SCAM enough of tourists as it is!

Pay your money take your choice.

SCAM! SCAM! SCAM!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Now all they need to do next is make us long timers pay 10,000 - 15,000 baht annually to cover us for any health problems or accidents. 

That could happen in the blink of an eye. I started spending most of the year living in Thailand back in 2005. At that time I was able to get a multiple entry Non-O visa at my local consulate for £90 in under 20 mins. No insurance. No 800,000 baht in a bank. I’d come in, stay 90 days. Then have a weekend trip to Malaysia (visa exempt) and back in for another 90 days. Not any longer. That all changed around 2010-2012 I think it was. Since then the Non-O has become very difficult and/or expensive. The real concern is if they suddenly add health insurance for those on a retirement extension with a Non-O. I’m still in my 50’s and so could expect to pay a few hundred pounds a year for health insurance. Once you hit 65 or 70, the numbers ramp up very quickly. How many could afford to pay 100,000-200,000 baht a year for health insurance aged 75?  Thailand is doing a great job at slowly making it a less attractive place to retire to. Well done Thailand. That’s what they’ve set out to do over a period of many years (no one will notice that way) and they are slowly getting there. Can’t say I blame them. 

• Like 2

One of the more crazy ideas. Especially to include mandatory health insurance. Most travellers will have international health insurance from home. And the most recent rule by the government was that all foreigners in Thailand must hold health insurance and it was mandated that this health insurance be part of the insurance that covers covid related incidents. Notably tourists must already buy from a local insurance company even when the already hold travel health insurance from home. Why have this requirement doubled and within the tourist tax. Why a tourist tax when the government already charges horrenduous entry fees for national parks from the farang. Reminds me from a couple of years back when they significantly hiked up the fees for tourist visas, and the same year then scrapped them cause incoming travel was low.

Edited by RTH10260
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, PQBC said:

The article (or perhaps the spokesperson being quoted) is not clear. Not all foreigners are tourists. Some are permanent residents, some are here for business, retirement, married, parental guardian, diplomat, medical, educational, Elite Visa, etc...  The article states:

"The Thai government will start collecting a 300 baht entry fee from foreign tourists "

"...the government will start collecting the 300 baht fee from foreigners entering the country and the charge will be included in airfares."

Also, in order to collect this money from the airfares the airlines will have to do most of the administration for the government, including amending their ticket sales websites to include dual pricing based on foreign passport. Or perhaps based on visa status, if there are exemptions. All before April 1.

My guess, like the departure fine, eh, fee, they will put that on all tickets with foreigner flying to Thailand.

Assumingly, to make it easier, every foreign person, just transiting in Suvanaphumi, b/c it is a flight to Thailand, will have to pay that.

And we will never hear about it, anymore, as soon the airlines are adding (have to add) it to the price

Yep, tourism is in the toilet.  Restrictions for entry are numerous and cost of flights and testing are high.

Thai Government"  I have an idea, lets charge every tourist who wants to come into Thailand.  

Rahm Emmanuel former Obama Chief of Staff.

image.thumb.png.f647d0c4dedfbf2905e8ace5dbb15044.png

Edited by longwood50

4 hours ago, Soidog said:

That could happen in the blink of an eye. I started spending most of the year living in Thailand back in 2005. At that time I was able to get a multiple entry Non-O visa at my local consulate for £90 in under 20 mins. No insurance. No 800,000 baht in a bank. I’d come in, stay 90 days. Then have a weekend trip to Malaysia (visa exempt) and back in for another 90 days. Not any longer. That all changed around 2010-2012 I think it was. Since then the Non-O has become very difficult and/or expensive. The real concern is if they suddenly add health insurance for those on a retirement extension with a Non-O. I’m still in my 50’s and so could expect to pay a few hundred pounds a year for health insurance. Once you hit 65 or 70, the numbers ramp up very quickly. How many could afford to pay 100,000-200,000 baht a year for health insurance aged 75?  Thailand is doing a great job at slowly making it a less attractive place to retire to. Well done Thailand. That’s what they’ve set out to do over a period of many years (no one will notice that way) and they are slowly getting there. Can’t say I blame them. 

I am thinking just a plain payment to them that gets a universal basic health coverage and age or pre-existing co dictions will have nothing to do with it. Just can’t abuse it as using it Line it is endless would be the catch. Yes, they seem to be increasing the hardness to stay here. Let’s hope that swings the other way for once. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Soidog said:

How many could afford to pay 100,000-200,000 baht a year for health insurance aged 75?

Honestly? Insurance in most western countries is not cheaper! 

( I know, I still have on in and for my home country. Which, on top, pays worldwide! ;-).

Edited by Guest1

17 hours ago, Thommo said:

On the surface maybe, but just try getting treament at a teir1 hospital like Bumrungrad.  50 baht to cover insurance for medical tourisim costs!😅  At least it may decrease the E begging that can go on when some tourist has health or accident issues with no tavel insurance in the future.

Or a person could have a positive outlook on it

Now I know that's a crazy thought on this forum, to look at something in a positive manner

It actually may be against forum rules.....

But I'd gladly pay 50 baht while also having my own insurance

The 50 baht covers any small stuff that could occur and you don't have to worry about submitting that to your insurance

And I wouldn't expect to go to a Bumrungard for that small stuff

Anything serious I would go to a private hospital, pay for it and submit the claim to my private insurance

Again I know it's crazy to have any sort of positive outlook on something but thought I'd give it a try 

5 hours ago, Guest1 said:

Honestly? Insurance in most western countries is not cheaper! 

( I know, I still have on in and for my home country. Which, on top, pays worldwide! ;-).

Depends on which country you live in or a national of. I’m lucky to be in a country where they have a well funded National Health System. I have paid in to that over the years through my taxation, but now it essentially feels like it’s free. 

6 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Or a person could have a positive outlook on it

Now I know that's a crazy thought on this forum, to look at something in a positive manner

It actually may be against forum rules.....

But I'd gladly pay 50 baht while also having my own insurance

The 50 baht covers any small stuff that could occur and you don't have to worry about submitting that to your insurance

And I wouldn't expect to go to a Bumrungard for that small stuff

Anything serious I would go to a private hospital, pay for it and submit the claim to my private insurance

Again I know it's crazy to have any sort of positive outlook on something but thought I'd give it a try 

I think reducing the ebegging is a positive thing :)