News Forum - Thailand to charge foreign tourists 300 baht entry fee starting April 1

Thaiger

The Thai government will start collecting a 300 baht entry fee from foreign tourists starting on April 1. The fee is included in the Tourism and Sports Ministry’s “Amazing Thailand New Chapter” plan and the money will be for the maintenance and development of tourist attractions as well as accident and life insurance for tourists if, in the unfortunate event, one were to get seriously injured or die while on a trip to Thailand. Government spokesperson, Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana, announced that the government will start collecting the 300 baht fee from foreigners entering the country and the charge will be included […]

The story Thailand to charge foreign tourists 300 baht entry fee starting April 1 as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

...if visitors happen to die in Thailand, up to one million baht in compensation to the family will be paid. 

Would that include the windows/balcony fall to death farangs, too?

No foulplay, no sui.... note = accident, right?

Or will the ruling change, from April 1 one?

Because with this numbers, 20k Tourists are needed, to pay one dead tourist. Aside the many accident victims from (never before) selfdriving motocycle tourists

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

10 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Thai government will start collecting a 300 baht entry fee from foreign tourists starting on April 1.

11 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

or die

This is grave ly concerning but how much will it urn .? still they couldn't have picked a better start date for it .. 

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The Thai government will start collecting a 300 baht entry fee from foreign tourists starting on April 1.

April Fools Day?

But, that also means NO requirement for Covid insurance from that date on! WoW their is going to be some interesting fine print hidden there. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Good. Total passenger movement fee 1000 bhat from 700. Still lower than any other Asia Pac arrival and departure fees. Nobody will even notice, it's just shoved in your ticket price.

50 baht will go toward the insurance programme,

500,000 hospital, 1 million death, for 50 baht.  Even if this for only 1 month why in hell am I expected to pay thousands of baht a year for insurance for a long stay visa.  50 x 12 months is 600 baht.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

I know some will say you are resident here and old therefore a higher risk.  True but I am still a visitor whos' visa can be cancelled in seconds and evicted in days, we are all tourists some just stay longer.  If I was classified as a resident that may change things, but we are still tourists on a short leash to the Thai govt.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

10 minutes ago, palooka said:

500,000 hospital, 1 million death, for 50 baht.  Even if this for only 1 month why in hell am I expected to pay thousands of baht a year for insurance for a long stay visa.  50 x 12 months is 600 baht.

If you live near a border it would be worth doing a border run every month just for the insurance!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, palooka said:

Tut-tut, @palooka . . . you clearly haven't allowed for the Thai Maths factor 😁!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Do ya think this will replace the Covid Ins ,in the near future, Me thinks not! Just another new revenue scheme .

Most would chalk this  up as a small travel fee hardly recognizable , similar to airport tax fees!

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

39 minutes ago, palooka said:

I know some will say you are resident here and old therefore a higher risk.  True but I am still a visitor whos' visa can be cancelled in seconds and evicted in days, we are all tourists some just stay longer.  If I was classified as a resident that may change things, but we are still tourists on a short leash to the Thai govt.

Rubbish, in 28 years here, I've known no foreigner to get their visa cancelled, have you?

• Like 2

It is ridiculous. Years ago you had to pay when leaving the country. Now when you come in. How much money does the Thai government want out of the pockets of tourists and long stayers. So now we have to pay for quarantine, pcr test in and out of the country, additional insurance to cover Covid-19 for $ 50.000, and so on and so on. And now another THB 300. Maybe I go to Portugal for retirement. It is number 7 on the list, Thailand is number 9. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

48 minutes ago, palooka said:

'Short leash' . . . or short lease? Both make similar sense 😏!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bike said:

It is ridiculous. Years ago you had to pay when leaving the country. Now when you come in. How much money does the Thai government want out of the pockets of tourists and long stayers. So now we have to pay for quarantine, pcr test in and out of the country, additional insurance to cover Covid-19 for $ 50.000, and so on and so on. And now another THB 300. Maybe I go to Portugal for retirement. It is number 7 on the list, Thailand is number 9. 

I understand that we still pay to leave,it's just collected by the airlines?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Changnam43 said:

If you live near a border it would be worth doing a border run every month just for the insurance!

Agreed - the numbers just don't add up.

Any insurance company that gave 500,000 baht accident insurance and 1,000,000 baht life insurance for 50 baht a month would be bust in days - and is it only for 'tourists' or all foreign 'arrivals'?

It's just never going to happen and it's going to backfire badly when they don't pay up on demand.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yselmike said:

I understand that we still pay to leave,it's just collected by the airlines?

Correct - hidden, as it is in many (most?) countries.

• Like 2

Now all they need to do next is make us long timers pay 10,000 - 15,000 baht annually to cover us for any health problems or accidents. 

1 hour ago, Changnam43 said:

Retirement towns on the border, now that would be nice to see!

Charging extra fees always draws a crowd.  Great idea! 

I got an idea, why not require a full month of quarantine (for their safety of course), triple the paperwork, increase the health insurance requirement, and raise the fee to enter up to 50,000 baht.  With the current restrictions there are still a few people who are managing to get in.  

If one is terribly uptight and angst about nominal sur-charges here and there, there is a logical resolution outside of the unnecessary whinging.

Don't come. Don't commute.

2 hours ago, Stonker said:

Correct - hidden, as it is in many (most?) countries.

Yep. Been like this forever everywhere.

Chances are that each one of us are unaware of all knik-knak add ons, taxes or whatever - every instance that we purchase an air ticket.......especially an int'l flight. It all automatically written into the ticket.