News Forum - Royalists in Thailand target one-man German activist

Thaiger

Police are under pressure from royalists to prosecute the German activist who staged a one-man protest against the government of Thailand. The founder and leader of the King Protection Group, Songchai Nienhorm, filed a complaint against the activist, Moritz Pfoh, at Nua Khlong police station in Nua Khlong district of Krabi on Saturday. Songchai is urging police to take action against the 35 year old German for inciting civil disobedience and interfering in Thai affairs, following his one-man protest against the government of Thailand in the central province of Rayong. Moritz, also known by his Thai name Fuk Thong, which […]

The story Royalists in Thailand target one-man German activist as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I believe this individual has no right to protest against any government official, he is not a Thai citizen and as such should not comment either verbally or visually, we are guests here in Thailand and should refrain from actions such as his.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Mancub said:

I believe this individual has no right to protest against any government official, he is not a Thai citizen and as such should not comment either verbally or visually, we are guests here in Thailand and should refrain from actions such as his.

https://www-khaosodenglish-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2020/08/26/can-farangs-get-deported-for-taking-up-political-causes-here/amp/?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#amp_tf=From %1%24s&aoh=16623682788014&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.khaosodenglish.com%2Fpolitics%2F2020%2F08%2F26%2Fcan-farangs-get-deported-for-taking-up-political-causes-here%2F

Good article here with real info. Don't live in the echo chamber...

11 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I agree he probably shouldn't be holding up a sign like that but it's funny how the Thai people get so butthurt over it 

One crank in Krabi got worked up about it ..

1 hour ago, Mancub said:

Firstly, this is what his wife says about it...

His wife revealed her husband is interested in Thai politics and has joined many protests but believes he has the right to express his opinion. She also added that her husband has a pure heart and genuinely wants to help the Thai people.

His very own THAI (!!!) wife's opinion is worth 1000s times yours on the subject. She says "he has the right to express himself", so you go along with Thai politics that forbid him (or any foreigners or in fact any Thai) or with Thai's people opinion who support him?

Secondly, if you live in a country, are married to a national, work (or have a business and create employment), pay taxes, buy goods and pay more taxes, contribute to social life, etc... you certainly have the right to express your opinion in subjects that affect your very own life. This is the case in every single democratic country, it is called freedom of speech. And this guy's action obviously has some impact since it is in the news  and The Royalists, keen to keep the current situation as it is, have reacted cause they are annoyed that this kind of actions will give "ideas" to Thai people who have just like foreigners no freedom of speech in this country. Many Thais have disapeared or are in jail because of that, let's not forget, I am pretty sure they would agree with this guy's wife's opinion.

So if anything, I said to this guy: good man!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

I think that poster expressed a personal belief (if so, no right/wrong applies -- in this case), and not a belief that it's illegal (which would be wrong).

Article 13 of the ICCPR makes it near-impossible to deport a legal alien (within the context given). Prosecution under local laws (I think section 116 would have to be favorite) could still be an issue theoretically, but it would take a puppet judge + the lawyer of the century to determine that the German compromised national security.

The only real risk is that any misstep (completely unrelated to his one-man, silent demonstrations), even the most trivial ones, are abused to the fullest (out of spite). 

PS: if publicly opinionating about Thai politics/politicians would be risky business, a good portion of Thaiger's regular commenters would have "mysteriously" disappeared. Come to think of it now, I kind of miss some old, vehemently opinionated antagonists who don't seem to be around anymore ;-)

14 minutes ago, Chatogaster said:

but it would take a puppet judge + the lawyer of the century to determine that the German compromised national security.

Pretty sure they will find some way to place it under 'lese majeste'. However far-fetched it may seem.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mancub said:

He might think, because the left/green politicians in Germany allowing everyone, to demonstrate and complain about German politics and politicians or whatever they dont like, in Germany, it is his right, to do that everywhere else, too.

Send him home!

• Like 1

Sad to see so many here against free speech. Supporting free speech doesn't mean you have to agree with the guy or like what he is saying, but simply not blather on that he should be deported or made to shut up.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stevenkongju said:

Sad to see so many here against free speech. Supporting free speech doesn't mean you have to agree with the guy or like what he is saying, but simply not blather on that he should be deported or made to shut up.

You seem to be the one blathering.

If you come to live in Thailand, you need to understand and accept the rules. If you cannot abide by them then you have chosen the wrong domicile.

Irrespective of the principles of free speech, the opinions of Farangs (on anything, but particularly Thai politics, religion, royalty) are not welcome.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mancub said:

Can you ask Thai nationals who are "guests" in countries such as USA, EU and UK not to engage in their protests?

Thank you

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Guest1 said:

He might think, because the left/green politicians in Germany allowing everyone, to demonstrate and complain about German politics and politicians or whatever they dont like, in Germany, it is his right, to do that everywhere else, too.

Send him home!

Why? Do you know what he does in Thailand?  Maybe he contributes a significant amount to the Thai economy and social fabric. I don't know. Do you? Shouldn't you find out first?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chaimai said:

Irrespective of the principles of free speech, the opinions of Farangs (on anything, but particularly Thai politics, religion, royalty) are not welcome.

Nice...You're against free speech and seemingly a racist as well. Opinions of one racial group are not welcome, wow!

Additionally, I never said people shouldn't follow laws of any country they are in, but I am arguing that anti-free speech laws are bad.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stevenkongju said:

Nice...You're against free speech and seemingly a racist as well. Opinions of one racial group are not welcome, wow!

Additionally, I never said people shouldn't follow laws of any country they are in, but I am arguing that anti-free speech laws are bad.

Only an idiot would seek to make judgement based on an internet post  - well done. Surpassed yourself in trying to play a race card where none exists. If you want to call the Thais racist, for their attitude to foreigners, please make it clear that it was not I making any racist reference.

Not a racist, not against freedom of speech - unless in a country like Thailand where your voice counts for nothing and is not welcomed.

5 hours ago, Vigo said:

Can you ask Thai nationals who are "guests" in countries such as USA, EU and UK not to engage in their protests?

Thank you

Exactly the problem in the above mentioned Countries to many people without a right to be there telling the the indigenous population what they should do what they should think and where they should adapt to accommodate people with no rights to be there.

Having lived in Thailand for over 10 years now I  admire the way they protect their own way of life and culture. 

I wish my own native UK had done the same for their population. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Manu said:

Firstly, this is what his wife says about it...

His very own THAI (!!!) wife's opinion is worth 1000s times yours on the subject. She says "he has the right to express himself", so you go along with Thai politics that forbid him (or any foreigners or in fact any Thai) or with Thai's people opinion who support him?

Secondly, if you live in a country, are married to a national, work (or have a business and create employment), pay taxes, buy goods and pay more taxes, contribute to social life, etc... you certainly have the right to express your opinion in subjects that affect your very own life. This is the case in every single democratic country, it is called freedom of speech. And this guy's action obviously has some impact since it is in the news  and The Royalists, keen to keep the current situation as it is, have reacted cause they are annoyed that this kind of actions will give "ideas" to Thai people who have just like foreigners no freedom of speech in this country. Many Thais have disapeared or are in jail because of that, let's not forget, I am pretty sure they would agree with this guy's wife's opinion.

So if anything, I said to this guy: good man!

I agree 100%

I will go further and guys married to Thais and have Thai kids or stepkids should prod them to be actually interested and invested in what is gojfn on in their country 

Because the structure of their country certainly doesn't, purposely, to their detriment 

4 hours ago, stevenkongju said:

When in glasshouses don't throw stones. 

In you're own native US there's a problem with the current Administration subduing the free speech of 50% of its population. 

It might be advisable to remember you're a guest in the Kingdom of Thailand and put more effort into free speech in The US.

• Like 1